June 04 mamas March thread! - Mothering Forums

#1 of 179 Old 03-06-2006, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I came to see if I had just been kicked out of the system again and we were on page 3! So I thought I would start a new thread.

Hope everyone is doing well! The light at the end of the winter tunnel is finally visable!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 179 Old 03-06-2006, 12:42 PM

I was wondering when we would collectively accept that it's March!

We are going through another round of sleeplessness, after doing so well. I was keeping on a reasonable routine and he was still waking, but we were getting more rest, and the last two nights have blown it all to hell. He started waking at 4 asking to nurse and yesterday turned into a very hectic day, culminating with Rowan falling asleep without eating dinner, so he was up wanting to nurse all night. I am a blown fuse.
#3 of 179 Old 03-06-2006, 12:45 PM

Thanks Sandi!!

I was away for a week and then with all the server problems I feel like I haven't talked to you all in ages!!!

We had a neat early potty-learning experience today!

Lil had a poopy diaper (which I didn't realize). She walked over to the toilet and asked for her potty seat (ring insert). I thought she just wanted to play with it so I gave it to her and walked away.

She called me back and said...take off diaper. Sit on potty.

I was like...WOW! That's pretty cool. Up until now I am always asking her if she wants to sit on her potty and she always says NOOOOOO!

She didn't do anything on the potty...since she had just done it...but I still think it was big that getting on the potty was her idea and that she wanted her diaper off!

I'm trying to get my life under control so I'm doing fly lady again. (I tried it a while ago and quickly dropped out.) This time I'm reading the book and going at my own pace instead of getting bombarded with 10,000 e-mail reminders a day. So far so good.

Just getting dressed....including shoes....before DH leaves has made a big difference in how I feel.

Doh. Lil's on the kitchen table again. Bye.

#4 of 179 Old 03-06-2006, 12:57 PM

I can not wait until spring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We normally spend so much time outside and I am a wimp about the cold and getting stir crazy. It's finally getting to be nice enough to spend more than 15-20 minutes outside! We love wandering in the woods by where we live.

Z and I flew to Chicago without DH to see my brothers. He did great on the flight (on my lap - never again for the lap thing!) but I was tired and cranky when our flight got delayed. It was difficult because he wanted to intrduce himself to everyone on the flight and not all of them were toddler friendly.

BUT -- one lady gave him a teddy bear from her backpack! I thanked her bunches and Z was thrilled. I found out later from the flight attendant the nice lady was Richard Pryor's daughter!

Z is still obsessed with fish. We were making playdoh critters and whenever I asked what he wanted to make the answer was always "Grouper" or "Haha Fishie" (clown fish) or "MahiMahi" or "Ray!"
I need to work on my fish art skills. The all looked like multicolored lumps despite pulling out the underwater field guide.

Another cool thing is he is starting to pick up little bits of Spanish. We are NOT a bilingial family (I wish we were). My parents are South American but raised us englsih speaking. So I speak so-so spanish but understand it fairly well. I have been throwing in spanish words here and there for fun the way my mom used to with me and he is spitting them back out to me later in context and then also saying the english word with it!
I wish I had the skills to TRULY teach him the language. My spanish is pretty cave man.

Ok, little fingers want to help now. Cheers and happy amost spring everyone!

Mama to Zach 6-18-04 & Naia 10-13-10 Partner to the sweetest DH. Loving our life afloat. TV Free!
#5 of 179 Old 03-06-2006, 12:58 PM

We're sick again. Just a head cold, but a nasty little one with lots of drip. Poor R threw up from it last night, but then we slept in the chair a little while and her tummy calmed down and her nose cleared enough to nurse. I feel like we've been sick all winter.
#6 of 179 Old 03-06-2006, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Liz- We aren't sleeping here either. Lily started sleeping better last week and I got like one good night of sleep before Maddie got the stomach bug. Then we slept ok Friday night and then Lily got this rash all over her body Saturday. The rash now looks almost like she's been in the sun a little too long and now she's not sleeping again and she's pretty much only eating breastmilk. I'm exhusted! I just need a couple of night s of solid sleep. This lack of sleep is really messing w/ my head. LAst night I actually threatened Lily that if she didn't settle down she was going to her crib! To which she replied NO! My dh is going to out of town on and off for the next few weeks and I'm dreading the night w/out him. I just hope that everyone gives me a break and sleeps!

Man I'm whiney today!
#7 of 179 Old 03-06-2006, 01:40 PM

We've been sick all winter, too. I have a chest cold (and possible ear infection), and Killian was up a lot last night because he was coughing. Luckily, Ellie sleeps great!

Erin - Killy asks to sit on the potty, too, but never does anything once he's on it. Its good to hear that that's pretty normal...

I think we're mostly through rotavirus. Thank goodness! Everyone on the vaccine forum is all upset that there's a new vaccine coming out for it, but if you're not planning to or able to breastfeed your toddler then I think the vaccine would be worth it. Nursing is the only thing that kept Killian from getting seriously ill - 5 days of watery diarheah plus one day of vomiting really do a number on a kid, and I think Killian had a mild case, honestly.

A little brag about Ellie - she's only 3.5 months old but sat unassited for about a minute yesterday! I was holding her in a sitting position, and then she put her hands down to prop herself up and I let go. DH and I were so impressed! I think she's going to be very physically adept, like her big brother. DH and I hate sports, but I think we're going to to be involved by way of our kids anyway.

Mama to DS (05/04) and DD (11/05), married to a wonderful DH.
#8 of 179 Old 03-07-2006, 10:40 AM

Good morning. I'm getting ready for another very long day. Despite the fact that I'm still in a heck of a lot of pain, I'm feeling less miserable today than I have been (kenahara!).

BooBah's really high fever was passed along to her cousins, who both threw up with it, Chibi for 24 hours and Bizzy for 36 (and counting). Neither of them ran temperatures quite as high as BooBah's, but I suppose that makes sense since they're older than she is. BeanBean is the only one of the kids now who hasn't had it at all. : My sister caught it, too, but she's got horrific immunity because she spends so much time being mean.

I'm within inches of convincing mom to pull the girls out of school next year. She's pretty much sold on Chibi, but hesitates about BizzyBug. This might have more to do with the fact that while mom *is* Chibi's legal guardian, she's technically not Bizzy's than it does with the idea of her actually getting anything positive out of school (it's fairly obvious to everyone that she's not).

The kids just came upstairs-- BooBah is bare naked (no, she didn't go to bed that way) and BeanBean is miserable. He said he had a dream that I was a firefighter, and that was cool but some guy told him that he had to stay in the house and he wanted his mamma. Poor kid. Now he's trying to drag me off of the computer to take a shower. "Please don't disappoint me, I want you to come downstairs. Please, mamma!" Talk about emotional blackmail! Good grief, if it's like this when he's three, what's it gonna be like when he's 8?!

BooBah's just doing a happy, naked baby dance. They both seem to have grown recently, BooBah especially. Her legs have finally straightened out, and that's given her another 3/4-1". It's amazing.

Julie-- Isn't Tain's birthday coming up soon, or recently past? I seem to remember it being in the second week of March...

Have any of you caught the Sudoku bug? My mom's been doing them, she's totally addicted. Well, I went to the store for groceries and thought I'd pick up a new book of logic problems, because I do that every 6 months or so, and I couldn't find the kind that I like; the PennyPress ones don't have enough hard puzzles in them, and when you've been doing them for nearly 20 years you want the harder ones, you know? So I thought, "I'll try some Sudokus.." but they didn't have any of those, either! I ended up getting something called (I think) "Kakuro." I didn't read the instructions and just started doing a puzzle, and I made it much, much more complicated than it needs to be. Apparently in any given solution, you can only use each number once (4=3+1, never 2+2)! I was talking to my mom about how difficult these problems were and I said something about 17 being the only good number to start with in a grid of two, because it had to be 8 and 9 and she said that 16 was just as good. I was floored! She was right, though, after she said something I looked at the instructions and there it was, plain as day. I'm such a dork. Anyway, with that little tidbit, they're a heck of a lot easier!

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#9 of 179 Old 03-07-2006, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

Rynna- We are Sudoku addicts, even Lauren and Maddie is trying to learn. They have some realy easy kids versions out there. I picked up a 4 pact at A.C.Moore for $5. It cam w/ 2 kids books and 2 regular books. THe regular books are really easy but they are fun when you want a quick 5 minutes break. Target carries a bunch of good Sudoku books too and our local paper runs a puzzle a day. They start off super easy and then get super hard. My dh has written a program for Sudoku too.

I slept last night for hte first time in I don't know how long. I actually got around 7 1/2 hours of solid sleep! and to top it off it is really sunny here today. I feel human and happy and not the mean nasty mommy I have felt like for the past month or so.

They think Lilys rash is viral(sp?) It was really bad yesterday when I took her in to have it checked out and they want me to follow up w/ them on Friday if it's not gone. So we'll see.

Maddie needs me to do her hair!
#10 of 179 Old 03-07-2006, 08:06 PM
Banned

Yes, Tain turns 4 on Sat. He is really excited but it's up in the air if my mom is visiting the week after so I haven't decided when or what kind of party to do. Or if I should invite his whole preschool class or not.

So do you mean your sister's immune system is good or that it is bad? Because mine kicks stuff really quickly but I promise I am not mean!

I chose not to get a food processor with our tax return so I could fix up the kids' play kitchen. It is just so pointess to have 3 bulky pieces of furniture lying about the house if they are not worth playing with. In synopsis, my mom bought (and shipped from Alaska) a wooden play kitchen that she found at a thrift store. When they arrived, the plastic bucket used for a sink was in deplorable condition and there was no faucet (never had been one). One of the cupboard doors that made the oven had stripped out screws and one of the sink cupboard door hinges got bent when I tried to shut the oven door which was really attached to the sink, not the oven . SO, I put little organizer shelves on the door of the fridge and had to put a new countertop on the sink since the shape of the previous bucket was really strange. I added a faucet and painted the counter bright green. Took off the remaining oven door and switched it with the bent hinged sink door. Am making an oven door that actually opens like an oven door should-paint is drying on that now. I am also going to make them a coat rack (i.e. a board with hooks on it) so they can hang up their own coats. So that is what I have been doing the last day or so. I'd like to find a little rack to fit in the oven and I will probably need a magnetic latch thing to keep the oven door shut. AND I need to buy pots and pans and food for them to play with. I'd also like to buy a toy microwave, they love making that dinging noise. I had to buy a gigantic piece of MDF so I was thinking I could make shelving for them to put the pots and pans and stuff on. BUT I bought a circular saw for $5 at a yard sale 3 years ago and was pleasantly surprised to find out it actually works great when I was doing this stuff. Unfortunately our den is covered in sawdust since I can't use it outside. Oh, and I bought a jigsaw so that was fun too.

Hey, should I stop giving Ro cow's milk if he has gotten really gassy? He doesn't seem to be in pain or have any other symptoms but he sure is laying the stinky farts a lot.

We've been sick all winter too. It's been our worst one to date. But, aside from a slight cold that is lingering forever, we have been well for a while.

The weather has been fantastic, in the 60's for a week. It is currently 64 and it is supposed to snow tonight or tomorrow! What the heck?

My friend's first hearing is on Thurs. It is for the restraining order her dh issued against her (she thinks it is an attempt to get sole custody so he doesn't have to pay child support or spousal support). She is feeling pretty confident that it will go in her favor since he can't prove anything he said (since it is all lies/perversions of the truth).

Well, I am off to the ikea website to buy kitchen stuff. Have a good day!
#11 of 179 Old 03-08-2006, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjule
Yes, Tain turns 4 on Sat. He is really excited but it's up in the air if my mom is visiting the week after so I haven't decided when or what kind of party to do. Or if I should invite his whole preschool class or not.
Happy Birthday, little man!

Quote:
So do you mean your sister's immune system is good or that it is bad? Because mine kicks stuff really quickly but I promise I am not mean!
It's bad, not bad-ass. She gets sick all the time, with anything and everything, because she spends too much energy being mean and angry. Weak.

It must be fun having a jigsaw... I'd love to play with something like that, but I can just see BooBah trying to cut her arm off with it. She does the craziest things sometimes. It's amazing to me that she's never needed stitches for anything. I'm sure that when she does hurt herself badly, it will be spectacularly awful...

I talked to a lawyer yesterday. He thinks that I actually have a case, and I learned something which really made me feel better: while the statute of limitations for MVAs is 2 years, that only applies to adults. For kids, the statute of limitations is 2 years from their 18th birthday. That means that if (kenahara) there is something wrong with the baby from, say, me having to take vicodin just to function throughout the third trimester, she's protected. If BeanBean needs a shrink (and I'm going to look for one if he doesn't stop talking about the accident within about a week of getting the van back-- I figure that's bound to cause a setback or two), he's his own case and his medical bills should be covered, too.

I'm not a big fan of lawsuits, but I have to say I'm less of a fan of insurance adjusters right now. I just dread talking to them. Now, I don't have to anymore. So something positive came of yesterday. I'm in a buttload of pain, but I'm not miserably depressed and that makes it all so much more bearable. Today I'm making chicken pot pie from the recipe on the back of the bisquick box, and I'm going to ask Mike to call his mother-- I'd like to make hamentaschen this weekend, and I'm hoping that MIL is up for some fun with BeanBean and BooBah in the kitchen (she usually is, but she generally has her own ideas). I'll bring some Purim books, and we'll talk about the whole megilla.

Saturday morning, BeanBean has his first art class. He's very excited about this! I'm going to take him to Torah Study with me and then leave a bit early. He'll get to play with another little boy who comes regularly with his parents, and that'll probably be loads of fun for both of them. I'm gonna print out some coloring pages for BeanBean today. Maybe I should print some out for the other little boy, too. Fun Purim stuff, since Purim is Tuesday.

Hm. It'd be really nice to take the kids to a Purim party, but I don't think I'll be able to manage it. I have a really hard time when I have to be standing up or sitting down for any length of time... I have to take so much vicodin that I don't really feel comfortable driving. We'll see what happens. Anyway, I'm excited and feeling (mentally) pretty decent. It's a nice change of pace.

#12 of 179 Old 03-08-2006, 01:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Happy March!
Yay!! It's officially pre-spring!! We've been out in the yard a whole bunch. On Sunday I took down this old lean-to thing that used to have our woodpile in it.... along with 2 full pickup boxes of junk wood! The previous owner was a pack rat. Once I've got that area all cleared out I'm going to put some bedding soil down & get some hydrangea cuttings going in there with some bulbs we bought & daisy & lily transplants from around the yard. Oh, and we're going to move the old toilet planterbox in there (MIL hates it, so it's sticking around for sure ) Roland *loves* working in the yard with me. Caitlin *loves* bugs. She finds worms in the dirt & brings them to Roland. When I was loading wood into the wheelbarrow, she stood beside it & talked to the woodbugs that were trying to evacuate!! Every time I dropped more wood in, they fell off the sides into the bottom & Caitlin would start crying and I'd say "Look! They aren't hurt! Bugs are tough... see?" and she'd go "Ohhh... hi! Hi! Hi!" The weather has been crappy this week, so we haven't been out as much so far. It sucks!!!
Roland started preschool yeaterday. It's parent participaion, so I'll be working 2 days a month there. Whe I'm not working, I can still stay there with him whenever I want, as can Caitlin. It's right in a forested area of a park a few blocks from here. We all had fun. It's going to be good.
#13 of 179 Old 03-08-2006, 08:23 PM
Banned

My jigsaw is just a cheapie ($30) from Home Depot. It has a cord and a carrying case but you have to take the blade off to get it in the case. I simply unplug it after every use since I am doing it in the house with the kids around. The circular saw is actually more dangerous, it is sitting on the floor in the living room and I had to turn it to face the wall after Tain stubbed his toe on it and I was direly afraid he had cut it up on the exposed blade.

Okay, so see if this would bug you. I have loud neighbors. Very loud. Like has a drum set, is in a band (therefore his hearing is shot) and listens to his butt-rock so loud that we can hear the words to the songs through our walls, not to mention what it is like in the entryway. Quiet hours here are from 9pm-9am. My kids go to bed around 7. They have lived here for at least 3 months, maybe more and in that time I have talked to the wife numerous times about the noise (she asks me if it was too loud, I say yes, etc). I have been the nice neighbor and knocked on the door and asked them to be quieter. I have been the nice neighbor that ignores it if it goes on past quiet hours. The night before last I was done. It was 10:30 and his crappy music was so loud that he didn't hear me knocking on his door. Twice. So I called security. Last night he was blasting it at 9:30 so I called security. So today as I am trying to wrangle the kids, a couple large packages and a pizza box up the stairs after being in the snow he accosts me in the entryway. Says he wants to give me his cell phone number to call him next time it is loud. He keeps saying "It is wisest that way", which totally irritates me. Wisest for him, for sure, so he doesn't get evicted. I told him I didn't want to have to call him, I wanted him to keep his music down after 9 on his own. It goes back and forth that way for a while resulting in me taking his number just to get him to go away. He was pleasant, but he kept calling me ma'am (he's over 40 and I am 28) which just got under my skin. Ugh. So I guess I am now the music police?
#14 of 179 Old 03-08-2006, 08:38 PM

Julie, that sounds like he was threatening you. I'd call security and tell them *that*, and I'd let them know that it was not really part of their job to tell this guy who reported him. :

#15 of 179 Old 03-08-2006, 08:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
That would bug me... you're not his mommy!! 9pm to 9am is really reasonable for weeknights at least. If he didn't hear the door what makes him think he'll hear the phone anyway? I'd call him next time and tell him to quiet down & that nxt time he breaks the rules, you'll be calling security. It's not your job to tell time for him.
#16 of 179 Old 03-09-2006, 01:06 AM
Banned

Nah, I really don't think he was threatening me, his demeanor is very cordial and friendly. Actually, that is the weirdest thing about them. They are both friendly, not quick to take offense (like when I refused to watch their ds for 7 hours the week they moved in) but they have pretty intense fights all the time and he especially is totally inconsiderate when it comes to noise. She is just as bad but mainly because the kid screams the whole time she is home. They work different shifts so the ds doesn't have to be in daycare but it is my suspicion that they are so burnt that he doesn't get much quality care and they never get to see each other so they spend a lot of time miscommunicating i.e. yelling at each other. The bottom line that he didn't seem to get was that I don't want to be calling ANYONE but at least if I am calling security it is fairly anonymous (something I specifically asked for when I called). The wife asked me this morning if I had heard the music the night before and I had said yes. Evidently they told her the woman below me had called. I told her maybe we both did, it was pretty loud (the woman below me throws tantrums whenever my kids run in the house. Or hop. Or stomp. Or do any other small child energetic thing. She always comments that it rattles the pictures on the walls. I feel like "Hey, they weigh 40 lbs and 20 lbs. If the pictures are rattling I would be thinking about what a shithole I live in, not how rude my neigbors are in the middle of the day or early evening" but that is a whole other story). Then I told her I had tried to knock twice the night before and I am tired of the constant music after quiet hours thing. So I think she went in and fought with him about it. She had wanted me to tell him that it was loud, said that he didn't believe her. Like I want to get in the middle of THAT. Anyway, I need to hit the sack, I have to go down to the courthouse tomorrow morning and testify on behalf of my friend in her restraining order hearing (the friend with the crazy dh and divorce, in case anyone is confused). Trying to decide if I want to clean house before I go to bed or ignore it tomorrow morning and deal with it later. Remind me not to get on WoW tomorrow, I have a serious WoW problem and my house is falling down around me as a result!
#17 of 179 Old 03-09-2006, 01:11 AM
Banned

oh, here is the finished kitchen:
remodel

the yarn is my first plied, pretty much balanced skein. It is small, only about 40 yards I think. Man, I wish I had a wheel, it took forever on the spindle to get that. I dyed it myself, though. Go me!
#18 of 179 Old 03-09-2006, 01:55 PM

My house is in total chaos. Our friends are staying so the husband can deal with his custody issues (which are getting resolved) but his jealous wife overheard me talking with him and thought he was talking about having sex with his ex?!?!?! Wanna know what we were talking about? The high csection rate in this country! And I told him Brazil's csec rate is like 97% and they have those billboards that say, 'Keep Your Vagina Honeymoon Fresh." and I said something like, "just do your kegels." That last clause was the only thing she heard and somehow she decided we were having this inappropriate conversation! They fought all night, and when I got up (not knowing any of this) I found him curled up on our couch with no blanket. : I don't know why she comes on these trips. Well, I guess I do because she not only wants him traveling without her, she no longer wants him talking to anyone without her. : Sheesh.
#19 of 179 Old 03-09-2006, 04:34 PM

Quote:
the yarn is my first plied, pretty much balanced skein. It is small, only about 40 yards I think. Man, I wish I had a wheel, it took forever on the spindle to get that. I dyed it myself, though. Go me!
Wow! Julie...that is awesome! I can't believe you did that on a drop spindle. I have a wheel...which I finally brought up from the basement and dusted off...I started off great guns when I got my wool back from the mill but somehow the wheel got pushed further and further into the corner. You've inspired me....must spin some more!!!

Ay, ye, ye Liz! She sounds like a real Hope it's a short visit.

Okay...so Lil is back in our bed full time now. Well we put her in her crib to start the night but she wakes after a couple of hours (usually before we go to bed) and unless we are going to let her CIO (which we're not) the only chance for sleep is to bring her into bed with us.

So...for those of you who co-slept with a toddler and a newborn...any advice? There is barely enough room in our queen bed for the three of us.....how are we going to do this with four???
#20 of 179 Old 03-09-2006, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharmama
So...for those of you who co-slept with a toddler and a newborn...any advice? There is barely enough room in our queen bed for the three of us.....how are we going to do this with four???
Get a King! Actually the best sleep I had was when we were living in a temp apartment while we built our house. We all slept in the same room and the king and Lauren's double were on the floor side by side. It was just one great big bed. I always slept between the baby and the toddler. When Maddie was first born(we moved into the apartment when she was 3 months old) we tried to make Lauren sleep on the other side of dh but she freaked out and after 2 nights I gave up and put the baby on the side w/ the bedrail and Lauren between dh & I. Dh could move her to the other side of him in the middle of the night when she was sound asleep and MAddie needed to change sides.

Liz- I always wonder what the person who is reacting the way the wife is reacting is doing on the side that makes her jealousy come out so strong. IYKWIM? But I agree she's

Julie- The kitchen looks good and so does the yarn. How did it go in court today???

Lauren had her first competition this weekend. SHe is so excited. I still don't know when she is dancing because of a schedule mistake but hopefully we'll find out tonight.

Lily is sleeping in my bed right now by herself for the first time since Christmas break. I hope this means that she will be more open to napping somewhere other then me. I miss having two hands and a little bit of time to do something w/ Maddie and something for me. Maddie & I just made cookies. I've been trying to make these cookies since Monday. Tuesday night and again last night I came home from being out to find that dh had gotten LIly to sleep and in her crib where she stayed for several hours. She never does that for me. She starts to stir the second my foot hits the bottom stair if I'm down stairs or as soon as I cross into her room. It's so frustrating. I just need some non-baby time!!!

ALright I'm going to go eat cookies w/ Maddie!
#21 of 179 Old 03-09-2006, 06:51 PM

They're gone. His next few visits will be alone, at least they're supposed to be just him on his own, and I fervently hope that will be the case. I was hoping for a chance to get to know (and maybe like!) her during these visits but I think she doesn't like me, or resents anyone who was a part of his life before she was there. I am as jealous as the day is long but I can honestly say I wouldn't have been in that situation, nor would I have jumped to such a bizarre conclusion. Wacky. I was really encouraging him in his whim to let her go and stay with us another day, but I guess he realized he'd be getting divorced if he did such a thing, so off they went. We'll have fun when he's here next. He has a lot of visits scheduled to see his son over the next few weeks, and his wife is griping about the expense. : And griping about paying back child support (which he was unable to pay due to his ex's fraud, etc) -I guess she doesn't want it going to the ex? Blech.
#22 of 179 Old 03-09-2006, 06:55 PM

Oh, yes, the reason I logged on was to comment on the co-sleeping. My friends who've been in this situation sidecar a crib or twin bed to theirs. Toddler goes in the crib/bed and baby is in the big bed with Mom and Dad. While I am not expecting another baby, Rowan is in the crib sidecarred to the bed and it's a huge improvement. At least he can be in a separate space. And we have a king-sized bed (which we each prefer to be alone in) so I don't know how you manage with a queen!
#23 of 179 Old 03-10-2006, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharmama
Mike and I are both fat people, and we slept with a newborn and a toddler on two twin beds. We're trying to move both kids out now, but of course with me being miserable and now sick, the kids want to climb under my skin all the time.

I'm sick, as in sicker than I've been with a bacterial or viral infection since I got pregnant with BeanBean. Getting pregnant and nursing has, in the past, done wonders for my immunity, but I suppose that all the pain and being worn down from the accident just set me up for misery. I've been running a fever all day and spent most of the day in bed, except for when I got up to fix the kids some bowls of cereal and help BeanBean reach the cups to get some milk for himself and his sister. On the up side, I'm so achy and miserable that the pain in my tooth is barely noticeable. If only I had an appetite.

#24 of 179 Old 03-10-2006, 02:29 AM
Banned

I second the getting a king bed idea. When I was pg with Ro we had a queen mattress on the floor and a toddler mattress next to it. Before Ro was born we bought a king with the boxspring but no bedframe and had the toddler mattress next to it on the floor still. Also, it is pretty much imperative that you have it butted up against a wall. You get a lot more usable space on the bed when someone can sleep close to an edge safely. We slept: wall -Ro-me-Tain-dh. I can fairly easily nurse on both breasts without rolling over so that worked for us. You definitely need to figure out a way to sleep without the 2 kids next to each other until the baby is older, a toddler doesn't make a safe bed companion for a newborn.
#25 of 179 Old 03-10-2006, 02:31 AM

Grrrr... I should learn to stick to my resolutions. I need to NEVER EVER post to any thread other than this one. I am sooo tired of people assuming the worst about me. I cracked and asked for advice, and got a lecture from someone and now I'm just so upset all over again.

Co-sleeping: Killy is a kicker/thrasher/screamer during the night, so we moved him to a big boy bed (full size futon), and if he doesn't sleep through the night DH goes and stays with him. I wish he could still be in our bed, but I didn't feel it was safe with Killian in particular.

Killy keeps using and adding new words, and he'll start speech therapy on Monday. It'll be every other week and we'll reevaluate in two months to see if he's up to at least age-appropriate speech. I think he'll be there by then, considering the improvement we've seen already! Whew!

Mama to DS (05/04) and DD (11/05), married to a wonderful DH.
#26 of 179 Old 03-10-2006, 12:46 PM
Banned

I've been wondering lately, seriously considering, how hard it would be to create a forum. I'd like to have one similar to this as far as ap/natural living goes but have strict anti-flaming rules THAT ARE ENFORCED. And fairly strict mod rules too. Anyone know how hard/expensive that would be?
#27 of 179 Old 03-10-2006, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

Julie- That sounds like a good idea but it would probably be prett expensive. I find it quite ironic that many people in this community preach gd, non-violent communication and acceptance but it seems to only pertain to those who agree w/ them. I don't see how bashing someone who is asking a question is constructive in any way shape or form. I rarely ask any questions here anymore and I find that sad because I have learned so much from this community but I'm not sure I see it as a place where one can come and question things.

ON a different note. I saw a post in TAO about finding your fist post and I went to look for mine and I found our old due date threads. It was weird. It seem like a lifetime ago, ya know? Anyway it was kind of neat to visit our little group when we were first meeting.

UGH! The dr's office just called and they want me to bring Lily back in for a strep check because of her rash and the fact that Lauren has strep. I think we should all just get checked at this point. Quite frankly I'm sick of hte doctor's office.
#28 of 179 Old 03-10-2006, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Cups
Grrrr... I should learn to stick to my resolutions. I need to NEVER EVER post to any thread other than this one. I am sooo tired of people assuming the worst about me. I cracked and asked for advice, and got a lecture from someone and now I'm just so upset all over again.
ooh, ooh, where is it?! people here are so self-righteous, aren't they? : i'm really sick of it myself. in fact i have gotten so turned off that i haven't even opened my Mothering magazine though it arrived days ago. not fair to hold it responsible for the internet community, but i emailed peggy o'mara, even, to complain about the atmosphere here and didn't even get a form-letter reply. : time was when her magazine was not so secure she could ignore people. and i was reading and subscribing way back then, too. : so i try to stick to our threads too. in fact for general advice i find "mainstream" threads much more liberal in tone. homebirthing and extended breastfeeding may not be the norm, but i have seen far less hostility on, say, the boards linked to dr spock (whose book i happen to love, btw, everyone should read his original book and the book he wrote shortly before he died- very interesting) than here. it's a shame.
#29 of 179 Old 03-10-2006, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3girlsmommy
Quite frankly I'm sick of hte doctor's office.
I have a huge crush on our pediatrician so I'd be thrilled if they got sick. But only on his days.
#30 of 179 Old 03-10-2006, 11:43 PM

Ok, Queen-of-Cups, I found it and all I can say is what a b$tch. It's kind of amazing that some people, who think they are so smart, and really want to show us how smart they are, are in fact incredibly dumb.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page