toddler separation anxiety - Mothering Forums

#1 of 6 Old 03-14-2006, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter
EJP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my 2.5 yr old son is currently going through a bout of separation anxiety - our normal routine for a year has been that i have wed. mornings "off" and he spends time with a lovely caregiver (she is like family) - he used to be great with this arrangement - in fact, he'd look forward to it - now he is very upset at the thought of the wed. arrangement and is miserable when i leave - any advice (btw, it's not an issue with my caregiver - he's very distraught lately when he's with anyone but me) - also, does anyone know of any good toddler books that help toddlers cope with separation anxiety? thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 03-14-2006, 06:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi my son who just turned 2 has never gone through seperation anxiety until the past few weeks. He is very clingy and its mama mama mama all the time. I think he will get over this phase soon enough, your little one too, its hard though!

Me and my wonderful husband serve God. Blessed with twin girls 2/11/11. <3

#3 of 6 Old 03-14-2006, 10:44 PM

My DD goes through this about once every month or so... hard, but really normal, I think. I'm sure there have to be some books out there, but I don't have any recs, sorry. good luck! Hope other wise MDC mamas write with some!

IntactaLactavist, HomeBirthin' Baby Wearin' Co-sleepin' Homeschoolin', City girl gone Country Livin' SAH(HSing)M

#4 of 6 Old 03-20-2006, 08:56 AM

My DD (almost 18 months) goes through this every time I leave, even if it's just to go into the basement for 30 seconds. She follows me when I go to the bathroom. She won't let me take a shower by myself, I have to have her in the bathroom with me or she screams bloody murder. If I have to go shopping without her, it's a big production to get out of the house.
Don't get me wrong, it's nice to be wanted so deeply (because I know one day she will want to be as far away from me as possible ), but does this ever end?

Samantha, Mama to Elizabeth, September 24, 2004
#5 of 6 Old 03-20-2006, 04:38 PM

Location: Learning about ancient history along with the kiddos
Hi,

First post here....hi!

I don't have any advice but I can say that we are going through the same thing . (DS is 23 months.)

What I am wondering is what people do, not to get over the anxiety, but whether people accomodate it? For example, when I leave my son with his very loving caregiver who he's had for over a year, he freaks out for the first 5 minutes. I usually get upset and have to flee. I am a student so sometimes I really have to leave for class or whatever. But I keep wondering if I should not leave him as much until this phase is over, or should I stick with the plan since he seems to get over it and move on.

I guess I'm asking if others are treating it as a normal phase kids get over or a sign that they need more attention at this point than before.

Thanks!
#6 of 6 Old 03-22-2006, 02:19 AM

My daughter is 2 and a half and I've just been wondering whether she's <b>ever</b> going to get over this. There are about 2 people I can leave her with, and only for about an hour, and I'm starting school myself in September so I'm already worrying about whether she'll be able to tolerate the separation of that.

In a related note, she also freaks out when I'm there with her but, for example, my brother is driving the car instead of me. Or someone else, I don't know, offers to help her get her shoes on. Is this stuff normal?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page