March 05 Mamas--June Thread! - Mothering Forums

#1 of 60 Old 06-04-2006, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thought I would start this month's thread...I was pretty absent last month with my posts but was reading along. These toddlers sure keep you busy, don't they?

Bennett is 14 months now and is really starting to talk. The other day he imitated "turkey" and he also says "birdie" and "hot dog"--what an odd choice of first words!! His favorite word is "yeah!"--we ask him a question, like, "do you want to go for a walk?" and he gets this excited look on his face and says "YEAH!!" which is too cute. He has stopped signing for milk and instead has taken a liking to just grabbing my boobs and saying "dis! dis!" no matter where we are--when I try to get him to sign it he just stares off into space like, "i don't hear you mommy!" What a stinker!

He is on the verge of learning to run...he just gets faster and faster with his walking every day. He loves drawing with sidewalk chalk and recently has really enjoyed helping around the house...dh said the other day Ben took all the laundry out of the washer by himself, put it in a basket, then put it in the dryer and even pulled up the lint trap so daddy could clean it!! He is so observant. It is amazing what they take in and understand. He is so great at following directions (when he wants to) but will do things like follow through when I say "get your hat" or "give the shoes to daddy."

Anyway, I can hardly believe all of our babes are so big! I was just looking at photos yesterday and saw a picture of him when he was 3 days old...so tiny! We were also at a party yesterday and there was a 10 week old there...do you guys also find it hard to believe that once your toddler was that little?

Anyone else's kiddo taken to throwing food over the side of the high chair? Ughh, this is our daily battle! I tell him it goes in his mouth or stays on the tray, and sometimes then he'll put it in his mouth, but it's such a pain b/c it's ant season here and those little critters will march in and go after any little crumb that's left on the floor!

Oh, and I think I'm remembering right that it was LoveChild who said sleep is better with you guys...so happy for you! And jealous! We are still waking every 2-3 hours at night. Ughh.

I have never posted a photo of Ben, partly b/c I had the slowest internet in the world and it would have taken forever...we finally got DSL so maybe I'll figure out how to do that so you can all see what my little guy looks like!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 60 Old 06-04-2006, 01:56 PM

so excited that this months thread is started! can't wait to share more with ya'll. ds is up from his nap and ready for lunch so i'll be back later
#3 of 60 Old 06-05-2006, 12:11 AM

Hey all,

Jen, I can't believe the talking! That's pretty amazing! I love the "dis dis" thing! Lol!

I have to tell you about this weird thing just in case it may apply to any other of the difficult sleepers out there: our naturopath, upon hearing that Jonah was waking up 3- 4 times between 11:00 and 6:00, suggested that he may be low on magnesium. She tested me and it turns out I am a little low too. So she put us both on a supplement (vile tasting drops), and it is totally helping Jonah sleep better. On nights when we manage to give him his full dose (dang, I just realized we forgot it tonight! ) sleep is deeper, he wakes up less and usually goes back to sleep very fast. Who knew??? The magnesium is supposed to soften his stools, too.

Like Jen, I'm amazed at how much Jonah understands. He understood "Go get another book" just recently. And at the video store, I told him we have to give the toy (actually a plastic bottle full of candy, but of course, he has no idea what candy is) back to the person who works there, and then I held him up to the counter and said, "can you please give it to him?" and he did! I was so impressed a) that he understood and b) that he didn't object. What a sweetheart. He also recognizes himself in the mirror, which we're read usually doesn't happen until later. No real words though, but lots of desire to talk. Sometimes he just strings a whole bunch of signs together, like he's telling a story: airplane, bunny rabbit, dog, cracker!

Right now, we are struggling with the whole daycare issue. We had planned on me going back to work in September, but as the date approaches, our heart aches at the thought of having him in daycare for 9 hours a day, 5 days a week. So we're taking a wait and see approach. Maybe I'll work part-time, but then there's the issue of sibling number 2, which we hope to TTC in a year or so. If I carry #2, I'll yet again have hardly any mat leave income if I work part-time, and if dp carries,can we can't really afford to live on half her salary plus a part-time salary of mine. I'm also worried about delaying going back to work because I'm almost 40. So, yah, I guess we'll see. Sometimes I'm really into finding fullfilling work again, and sometimes I just want to stay at home and take care of Jonah forever!

In other news, I pitched an idea for a discussion/workshop on natural childbirth options to the Lesbian Mothers' Association that we belong to, and they said yes! I'll be organzing it and facilitating. I'm hoping to get a doula, midwife, and a doctor to speak, as well as women who have had natural births either at birthing centers, at home, or like me at a hospital. I'll be in March of next year. I'm very excited!

Oh, gees. It's late. I'll catch you guys later.

#4 of 60 Old 06-05-2006, 03:01 AM

Hi fellow March 05 mama's.....if u look at my signature u will see i'm prego again!!! TOTAL SHOCK!!!!!

anyone else TTC or newly prego?
#5 of 60 Old 06-05-2006, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Emma's mommy--wow!! Congratulations!! How exciting. Dh and I are not avoiding and not trying--we were trying, then I had a super horrible day with Bennett and told dh to not dare get me preggers...well, that feeling has passed and we've decided to just go with the flow. I noticed you had a c/s with Emma--I had one with Ben, too--totally unplanned. Have you had time to think about what you will do for this birth??

Jo, Jonah sounds like such a sweetie. I too am often amazed that Ben doesn't fuss when I ask him to put something away or give a toy to someone else. I guess I just am always braced for tantrums, but rarely get it, thank God! At mass yesterday he was sharing books with 2 little girls that were older than him...too cute!!

I too have heard that magnesium can help sleeping--so why haven't I raced to the store to get some? I must be nuts to not have done that yet! But it seems like in the last few weeks I am hearing more and more to try magnesium, so I think today or tomorrow I will go get some. Ah, sleep. My birthday is coming up at the end of the month and dh asked what I wanted and I said, "SLEEP!" just please some sleep!! Pretty sad when that's what you want as a gift!
#6 of 60 Old 06-05-2006, 02:34 PM

sorry.. i deleted this one because i accidently double posted.
#7 of 60 Old 06-05-2006, 02:42 PM

so noel's napping and i may have a minute to update everyone on my little guy.

He's had a rough couple of mornings (today was good tough). we think it's his teeth. we can see his right lower lateral incisor under the skin. That will be his 5th tooth. Any other late teethers out there? I feel bad because ds is so grumpy when he wakes up. and offering medicine only makes him more upset. we usually try to exhaust all other comfort measures (ie holding, rocking, nursing, going for a walk, cold stuff to eat/drink/chew on) before forcing some motrin in him, then within 30 minutes he finally relaxes and is back to our smiley little guy. the teething tablets by Hylands are also great. My little guy always keeps signing for more after we give him his 3. I think he thinks they are candy.

Noel says "dat" and points alot. we are trying to label the things he's interested in so that he might start to get more words. funniest thing is when he wants to nurse he starts to pat or point at my breast (or if he's really serious he reaches right down the front of my shirt) and says "dat."
he also sometimes will go to the rocker in his room and point at his boppy nursing pillow when he wants to nurse there. so cute! the other word he uses alot is "doggie" and man does he love our dogs. he kisses them and pats them on the head. I still feel like i need to watch him closely though because he's also into pointing out the parts of the face and I'm scared he's going to get bit when he points ( or rather gouges) out the doggie's eyes.

He still wakes several time per night. our typical routine is to put him to bed around 8 ish (I usually start our routine around 7:30 and just see how quickly he askes to nurse). sometimes we barely get thru the bath and diapering before he's crawling all over me saying"dat" "dat" and pointing to turn out the light and turn on his ocean sounds CD. then he sleeps in his crib until around midnight (DH and I get some good time to catch up and pick up the house or veg on the couch during this stretch) occasionally ds will wake while we are still up and dh will go in and rock him back to sleep. once we go to bed if ds wakes he comes to our room and after that I can't tell you how often he nurses or wakes, because I pretty much just let him nurse on and off without really waking up myself. It's nice and since ds is a pretty early riser it's the only way I can get enough sleep to function in the am.

Anyone else notice their dc gets bitey when they want to nurse? If I don't move quickly enough to nurse ds when he asks for it I usually end up getting bitten on the shoulder or arm. Ouch! how do you guys handle the biting thing? I usually give a firm "No" and put ds down on the floor and take away my attention. This usually works and ds will get a little upset for a minute. I wait and try to compose myself then I gently explain that he cannot bite mommy because it hurts, pick him up and tell him I love him and go about nursing.

ds still is hit or miss with solids. some meals he eats well and is asking for more with his sign language all the way through and other meals get pushed to the floor immediatley. go figure!

We are back and forth with naps too. Somedays he's really tired and begging to nap around 9ish, so those days he does 2 naps (with the second being a 3pm-ish nap) and other days he's going strong until 11am and then will nap once for about 2 hours.

ds loves playgrounds and the pool. this summer it going to be tons different that last year. I feel like i barely got out of the house last summer, now it is essential that we don something outside everyday. I feel like ds gets bored if we sit around the house all day.

Can't wait to hear more from all of you. I'm going to try to share some pictures soon.
#8 of 60 Old 06-05-2006, 04:03 PM

Jen- Thanks!! no i have not thought about if i'm going to have another c-section or not....sence my kids will be 23 months apart i don't know if they will let me go VBAC....i'm ONE MONTH shy of the required 24 months....GRRRRR
I had a really bad hospital experience after Emma was born and i honstly didn't plan on having another baby anytime soon...we wanted to wait until next year to get prego and i honestly thought i would be going in to get an IUD this month and not a pre-natial checkup! The whole hospital thing is gonna make me soo nervous this whole pregnancy it's gonna SUCK!!!

Marisa- Emma is also a late teether.....she is now cutting her top 2 teeth.....the one one the left is almost through now so now she has 3 teeth!!!! i let emma play with an empty tylenol bottle that way she kinda gets excited when i give it to her......it takes the badness away from it!

HOW AM I GONNA GET RID OF HER BINKIE NOW THAT THERE WILL BE ANOTHER BABY IN FEBUARY?!?!?!? If i don't do it now she may have it until she's 3 or 4.....AHHHHHHH......she is my baby and i don't want to be mean to her, especally sence in 8 months she will no longer have my undivided attention!
#9 of 60 Old 06-06-2006, 04:35 AM

just want to say hi. i'm a march 05 mom too, yea! it is so cool to be able to hear your different experiences... i can really relate! especially to throwing food off the high chair. ella is also a late teether. i think she is working on her 5th tooth now. that is very interesting about the magnesium. i wonder if ella is short on that. i used to have restless legs, so i suspect low magnesium may be the cause. emma's mommy, congratulations!!
#10 of 60 Old 06-06-2006, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
hey everyone
I haven't posted on a march thread in a while. I'm on bedrest now so I have plenty of time to read and post. Ellery loves to throw food down to the floor....which is how I kinda ended up on bedrest in the first place! I sent myself into preterm labor by using a heavy rug cleaner..we're in a rental house right now and there is carpeting under the kitchen table! DOH! I overdid it! I just got back home yesterday and now I'm on bedrest for 7 weeks! Ellery is still not walking! She took steps already and took them a few more times after that but is still crawling 98% of the time! She can talk though! She says about 25 words and is learning new words and phrases everyday it seems....today's new phrase was "all done" or "all dough" as she says it! Nights have been horrible.....nowhere near sleeping through the night. But I did find out how to rearrange her naps for better nights where she sleeps at least a 4 hour stretch.

Emma's Mommy: I wish Ellery would *take* her binky! She won't take it anymore and often times she nurses all night long from a bottle (no milkies here for the past couple of months from pregnancy). It's such a pain! The bottle constantly rolls over and leaks all over us and the bed. Life would be much easier if she would just suckle on her binky for comfort overnight. BTW
CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Consciously mothering 3 girls and 2 boys
#11 of 60 Old 06-06-2006, 11:24 AM

subbing.

thanks for starting the thread, bennifer!
#12 of 60 Old 06-06-2006, 11:43 AM

Kindermama sorry your stuck on bedrest! Emma isnt walking yet either....i hope she starts soon my back cant handle all this walking around with her......Emma has been off the bottle sence she was 10 months old so that is one problem i havnt had to deal with for a long time.....i dont miss leaky bottles!!
#13 of 60 Old 06-07-2006, 04:27 PM

Subbing

I feel weird reading in the Toddler section now!

Let me introduce myself:

I'm Sara, mama to Peter, wife to Jerry. I'm in a graduate program at Rice, located in Houston, aka the surface of the sun.

Peter is walking and kinda talking. We tried to do baby signs with him, and either we weren't committed enough to it, or he prefers sounds, because the only thing that really stuck was the panting SOUND for dog (you know, mouth open, tongue out panting). Well, he uses that sound for dog and apparently it now means ALL animals, although he sometimes makes more of a bird sound at birds. He also is NOT good at sleeping through the night, although it's getting better. I finally figured out that when he wakes up, he cries. Okay, yeah, I know....duh! What I mean is that he ALWAYS cries before falling asleep and when he wakes (like we all do several times a night) he cries. Usually just once. So I was making things really bad because I would go to him when he cried and that would wake him up and also made him think he needed me to fall back asleep. Now, we often just hear him babbling for a minute or so, then he's back asleep! So I hope we are on a good track there! Plus, our nightly ritual includes books and the last book is ALWAYS Good night, moon and then I read to him (or dh does) a story book (no pics). I was reading him "Where the red fern grows" which we just finished and MAN was I crying. Now we are starting on the Harry Potter series.

Anyway, I just wanted to say Hi!
#14 of 60 Old 06-07-2006, 04:55 PM

Hi Petersmama!! Welcome! I'm in Austin. And, I agree, Houston is the surface of the sun. I always try to avoid going there if possible because it's so dern hot and sticky.

We have been doing well. Just got back from a trip to the coast a week ago with another family. It was fun. Lydia had the best time playing in the sand and ocean. Here's a link to some pictures. Lydia refueses to wear a hat so we had to smear her head with sunscreen. it looks ridiculous! and in the picture of her in the car you see what lengths we had to go to in order to stop her from screaming all the way there.
As for sleep she does great when she's not teething or having an ear infection. It's amazing. She wakes around midnight, comes to bed with me, and wakes again around 4 or 5am and goes back to sleep until 7:30 or 9:00am. On bad nights she wakes a lot more though. She's also getting teeth late. She had the bottom two front teeth since October. Just last month she got six on top including her molars which came in before her second front top tooth!! What the heck?
#15 of 60 Old 06-07-2006, 05:28 PM

Hi March mamas!

First, I kept meaning to congratulate our student mamas during the May thread! Way to go!!!! Your graduation story was very heartwarming, Jen. I am sure Gray will hear the story of you finishing school during pregnancy and his baby days and be very proud of you.

Milo is doing awesome. He is running now! Not really talking, but he does say woof woof a lot, makes a bird sound that is kind of a hoarse quack/caw, and is starting mama and papa a little. He has a ton of signs though: dog, cat, bird, duck, bunny, dance (music), eat, more, all gone, bye, book, hat, water, flower, and nurse of course.

So, excuse me for just cutting and pasting part of my reply to another thread, but I wanted to tell y'all about this too. Milo has initiated a part time EC situation for us. We've done cloth since birth and he gets changed immediately. So I've often done some nakey butt time in between. About a month ago, he started noticeably trying to go pee so he could watch it. He got so excited that he had control over that. So we just started putting him on the baby bjorn little potty when we take a diaper off, before and after naps, after baths, before putting a new diaper on to go out, before bedtime. I just say "time to potty" and he goes and gets a giant smile on his face. He is so into it! We had tried at various times but until he kind of got that he was in control, he very rarely peed in the potty. Now he tries every time and sometimes just has a little dribble. We haven't caught a poo yet, the timing on those is just so unpredictable and I haven't noticed any pre-poo signs. I don't think we're going to EC much while out and about either. Milo is too busy and wiggly so I don't think I'm up for it. I think I'm going to get him some training underwear to wear around the house so I don't get so many little dribbles on the carpet.

So sorry about the bed rest, Kindermama!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma's_Mommy
...my kids will be 23 months apart i don't know if they will let me go VBAC....i'm ONE MONTH shy of the required 24 months....GRRRRR
I had a really bad hospital experience after Emma was born and i honstly didn't plan on having another baby anytime soon...we wanted to wait until next year to get prego and i honestly thought i would be going in to get an IUD this month and not a pre-natial checkup! The whole hospital thing is gonna make me soo nervous this whole pregnancy it's gonna SUCK!!!
Sounds like you need to find a midwife, girl! Trying for a VBAC is your right, and a midwife would support it. And with those feelings about a hospital, sounds like you would be much better off birthing at home. Check out the homebirth forum for further encouragement. Congrats on the sibling on the way!

Well, more soon. Gotta go grab lunch.
#16 of 60 Old 06-09-2006, 12:38 AM

I LOVE my OBGYN and my EPIDURAL so i don't think a mdwife would be the right fit for me. I also want to be induced early sense i have very small hips and don't want to end up with a c-section again.

i have an apt with my OB next week and hopefully he will be able to give me the answers i want to hear!
#17 of 60 Old 06-09-2006, 01:04 AM

hi all!

I just found this thread, I was still looking at the may thread, I guess it IS June already, huh?

Well, Ainsley seems to be on the same page as all the March babies... we have DAILY highchair battles. Yesterday was classic. We had steel cut oatmeal for breakfast and she is obsessed with using utensils these days. But "eating" has become much more "playtime" than anything else. She dumped the bowl of oatmeal on her tray and then started flinging it off onto floor and wall and EVERYWHERE all the while looking at me as I told her "no". And really, it wouldn't be so bad except the clean up is a nightmare. She acts as if I'm wiping her down with battery acid or something. As soon as she sees the washcloth come her way she starts screaming.

Ainsley is SUCH a late teether too! She's working on teeth 5 and 6 right now (lateral incisors next to the two front teeth) and let me tell you, she is NOT a good teether. Teeth really really bother her. It seems we have tough nights most nights with a 3 night "honeymoon" inbetween sets of teeth. And her teeth take FOREVER to come through. I can see them under the gums for weeks before they come through. Poor baby, it must really hurt!

She is talking a lot lately too, but it seems that I am the only one who understands her. She'll be asking and asking dh for something and I'll give him a chance to see if he can tell what she's saying but I usually have to intervene. She's really starting to repeat what we say. Yesterday she said her own name and today she repeated me when I said she was "precious". It came out like "preshpus". SO CUTE!

That's interesting mamaspruce about the EC and bladder control. The past few nights after a bath dd will stand up and pee on the carpet but almost like she's intentionally doing it. I need to get a little potty for her and try that. I tried setting her on the big potty but that was too overwhelming. BTW, I'm in the Northwest, too, I'm a Washingtonian.

I love hearing where all these babies are at in their development! This is such a fun age.

mumma to sweet 7 year old girl
and darling 2 year old guy

#18 of 60 Old 06-09-2006, 02:23 PM

is my baby the only march baby who dosn't talk??? She babbles and makes alot of noises but no actual words.

well she does say BOP and Up but that's it......and those are more her putting sounds together than actually meaning to say a word!
#19 of 60 Old 06-09-2006, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

MamaSpruce, we part time EC here, too--only poos though. Once in a great while I'll catch a pee, but only if he's already sitting on the potty trying to go poo. I tried cloth trainers for a bit b/c we had been having some pee success, but it just got to be too much to handle with how "spirited" he is in general--he wears me out without adding EC to the mix. But it is super clear when he's going to go poo, so we put him on the potty and he goes. It's great...I love love love not having to change poopy diapers!

Jo, I bought some magnesium caplets for myself--do you think that would work if I took them and if my levels increased, maybe his would too? I hate to give him something directly without a dr's recommendation on it. You are so lucky to have a naturopath!
#20 of 60 Old 06-09-2006, 03:06 PM

Yeah, Peter is awful in the high chair as well. He thinks it is HILARIOUS to throw food over the side, partly because he knows he is feeding the dog.

Also, are they getting to the toddler stage where they eat less? P is in dc ft (this is a recent unavoidable development...at least I like his dcp and he is learning spanish! ) and he seems to eat a lot THERE, but not at home. What?? Am I a bad cook? Dh likes my cooking! One night, he ate NOTHING for dinner and didn't even want any milk! I thought for sure he was going to wake at 2:30 a.m. and be starving, but nope!

When do your dc wake up? We are LUCKY if P sleeps till 6 a.m. Sigh. And that is a major improvement, b/c for a while he was waking at 5!

About a VBAC....I had an emergency c-section, too (still sad about it, and angry with my midwife, b/c I think she holds a lot of the blame...I think I could have had a natural birth at the hospital if we had gone earlier, before I was literally shaking from exhaustion and not WAY past the 24 hour limit dr.'s give you to have the baby) My opinion (which I know differs from a lot of mamas on MDC) is that I will DEFINITELY be having hospital births for any other baby I have, because after a c-section, you have a much higher probability of uterine rupture, and you only have SEVEN minutes to get to a hospital (i.e. fix the problem) before you die (i.e. bleed to death). To me, even though I hate hospitals, that makes it worth BEING in a hospital for the birth. Obviously, to each her own, but that is a consideration. Also, Emma's mummy, you say you love your epidural (and I totally hear that, since by the time I got mine, I could have KISSED the dr!), but you know you can't have pitocin after a c-section (again, ups the chances of rupture) so if the epidural decreases your urge to push or progress, you may have to have a c-section again. How far in the labor do you think you can go without the epidural?

Just my .02...I know this is a sensitive subject for many, so I didn't mean to offend anyone!
#21 of 60 Old 06-09-2006, 03:08 PM

Maybe I should get a potty....ds almost ALWAYS has a bm right after waking up. Maybe I could catch it? He also always seems pretty interested when he pees without a diaper, although I don't know if he has any control over it yet.
#22 of 60 Old 06-09-2006, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petersmamma
Also, Emma's mummy, you say you love your epidural (and I totally hear that, since by the time I got mine, I could have KISSED the dr!), but you know you can't have pitocin after a c-section (again, ups the chances of rupture) so if the epidural decreases your urge to push or progress, you may have to have a c-section again. How far in the labor do you think you can go without the epidural?

Just my .02...I know this is a sensitive subject for many, so I didn't mean to offend anyone!
nope i did not know that!!!! I will have to ask my OBGYN about it.....but i don't think i could give birth without an epidural....i am the hugest baby when it comes to pain.....and i am not even kididng.....i don't want to have to go through the painful recovery of a c-section again!! It was awful and the damn nurse would not call the on call doc to see if i could have more pain meds.....

i'm already dreading giving birth!
#23 of 60 Old 06-09-2006, 04:05 PM

Hello, ladies. Mind if I join? I've lurked here practically since my daughter was born, but just recently started posting, and I'm so glad I did. I've finally found a place where other people's ideas and beliefs mesh with my own. I don't know anyone in real life who thinks like us, and in fact, the IL's have practically disowned us since finding out that we were planning a Bradley birth with a midwife. Grrr...

I have one daughter, Elinor, who is now 14.5 months, and she's a handful! She's definitely a spirited child, but my mom keeps pointing out that I'm raising my own little mini-me, so I guess I can't complain too much, LOL! Dh and I are both teachers; I teach 7th grade English, and he teaches middle school kids with mild to moderate autism. Because we both work FT, Ellie is in daycare, but we're so fortunate to have found a Montessori daycare, and we both think she has benefitted so much from being around other kids all day.

Anyhow, I look forward to getting to know everyone!
#24 of 60 Old 06-09-2006, 04:23 PM

Emma's_Mommy - i'm sorry to hear that you dread giving birth. i have to tell you i felt similarly after my first was born. i didn't have a c/s, but i did end up with a 4th degree tear. it made my experience and recovery horrible. the entire labor and delivery was somewhat traumatic. i'd encourage you to do some reading on the Birth & Beyond board here at MDC. you can learn a lot about what normal childbirth can and should be like. childbirth doesn't have to be painful or scary. hopefully it'll give you some courage. and feel free to express your fears and questions here. i'm not sure if you know this, but an epidural actually increases your odds of needing a c/s because of the numbing and it can slow down or stop your labor. if you're going for a VBAC and interested, i'd be happy to offer you some ideas about non-medicated ways to manage your pain. i'd also encourage you to look into finding a doula you click with.

mjsd123 -- welcome!

hello to everyone else! where has our old crew gone, anyway? i posted the link to the June thread in the May thread in the hopes everyone would find us!
#25 of 60 Old 06-09-2006, 05:32 PM

Emma's_Mommy, I would definitely look into hiring a doula if you would like to go for a VBAC. I had an intensely painful 36-hour labor, but I made it to Hour 30 before I got the epidural, something I could NOT have done without my doula's support. She was *wonderful* and because my labor was so long, she was a great support to my dh as well. She kept both of our spirits up, and made some of the scary things less scary. (((((Hugs)))) to you!
#26 of 60 Old 06-09-2006, 05:36 PM

A little rant about c-sections....I have met SOOO many people (more before I had ds than after, weirdly) who WANTED c-sections so they didn't have to go through the pain of labor. I thought that was weird before having ds and now I think they are INSANE. I had thirty hours of unmedicated labor before my c-section, so I went through labor (although, sadly, b/c I didn't give birth vaginally, I don't feel I had a REAL child birth experience. Just one more thing to work through in therapy. Sigh.) and let me tell ya, the recovery from the c-section was WAY worse than the pain of labor (but I'm lucky....the labor pains never really hurt, until ds turned around on the way to the hospital....then I was like GET THIS KID OUT OF ME!!!). You have a nb, dependent on you for EVERYTHING (fortunately you can lie in bed and bf and make others change the dipes! ) AND you are healing from major abdominal surgery??? And women actually WANT to do this??? :

Ok, rant over!

Hey, does anyone else have a dc who likes to hit themselves?? I know, this is WEIRD! Ds has recently started hitting himself in 2 contexts: when he is trying to stay awake (this child fights sleep like the DICKENS! (whatever that means)) and sometimes, he just fits himself in the head and laughs. We are soo puzzled. We just tell him what we tell him when he hits ANYTHING, "We don't hit." Hopefully, he will be out of THIS phase soon.
#27 of 60 Old 06-09-2006, 11:59 PM

thank you ladies for all your support....i will def. talk to my OB about a doula and if it would be helpful. I am soo stressed about how this baby is gonna come out and it's still 7 months away!!!

it's gonna be a LONG pregnancy!

and just so everyone knows i had a c-section because Emma was breech and she would not flip around! It wasn't THAT bad i just think it would be better for me to have a vaginal birth because recovery would be way quicker....and now i will have a 2 year old to take care of
#28 of 60 Old 06-10-2006, 01:45 AM

yep, petersmamma, dd has been hitting herself for quite sometime, unfortunately. It really really bothered me when she first started doing it and I kind of mistakenly made big deal of it I think. She does it when she's frustrated especially. I used to wonder where on earth it came from, etc, etc...I mostly just ignore it now and she seems to be doing it a little less. It's just so dang sad to see them hitting themselves on the head!

mumma to sweet 7 year old girl
and darling 2 year old guy

#29 of 60 Old 06-10-2006, 10:33 AM

Hello Everyone!!!:
Sorry I have been MIA but life has been so busy - as you all know!!! Kiera turned 15 months old yesterday and she is the most adorable baby I have ever seen!!! (Well, including your beautiful babes of course!) She has 12 teeth now - all top and bottom as well as her molars!!! Her molars all came in during the same week!!!: I took her to the Brookfield zoo yesterday and she was soooooooooooooo excited by the animals! The goats in the petting zoo were definitely her favorite - she squealed and ran over to pet them and brushed them with a brush the zoo keeper handed her - totally adorable! Her baby friends were TERRIFIED so they left to go look at the other animals and KIera had about 20 goats all to herself - she was in heaven! I still wear her on my back and if I had a dollar for how many people yesterday told me I must be crazy to do that when I was pregnant I would be a rich, rich woman!!! It actually feels really good to wear her with the counterpressure on my lower back! She is talking up a storm and when she wants to go for a walk (like 80 times a day) she puts on her hat, brings me all the shoes in the house (dh's included), stands by the door, and says "Galk! Galk! Bye bye! Galk! Galk!" We've been taking a lot of walks lately - how can I resist that? Things are going well with the pregnancy - I am almost halfway there! I am sure you can tell in my sig but we are having a GIRL!!! I am trying to locate a homebirth midwife who will let me do a waterbirth. Even though I have a histroy of pre term labor with Kiera, the OB told me I am a good homebirth candidate if I want to go that route because of my last experience with having a natural birth. (Not trying to offend those who have been writing about C-sections, really! Any woman who gives birth is a hero!!!) Since we are not moving to AZ (long story but we are here another year - at least I can finish my thesis and master's degree now) my homebirth midwife there is no longer an option. I am sad that none of my family will be around either but at least I'll have my dh and amazing doula I used last time! Here are some pictures of my darling babe!

My chair!
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...7/IMG_2748.jpg

Cuddling my baby (sorry the photo is so dark)
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...IMG_2730_2.jpg
#30 of 60 Old 06-10-2006, 07:35 PM

Welcome new mommies . Congratulations Emmas Mommy!
Someone asked about hitting. Quinten definitely does that. I was so worried at first but then did a search on this board and found lots of kiddos do it at this age. I am not so worried after reading more. We definitely have a strong willed child. He has such a temper! We are learning a lot as we adjust our parenting style since he is so different from his brother.
Sleep, ahh, to sleep. Still not so good here. I wish I could sleep through nursing. I nurse Q to sleep and try to put him in his crib (in our room). He wakes around 1 and I pat or cuddle him to sleep in our bed. He wakes 1-2 more times and I do the same. I don't nurse him again until 4. This seems to be the time I cannot just cuddle and push through so I set it as my time to give in. He then wakes and nurses 2 more times before getting up at 6:30! Very tiring. I was one of the people who mentioned magnesium and I have been taking it. No changes here, boo hoo. I am going to get some of the baby one to try w/ Q but am thinking that isn't the issue. I am really feeling like it is his personality. Aaacck. I do think we may be doing this for a long time!
Bennifer, so cute about the nursing and pointing to the pillow. Q also goes to the rocking chair and points saying "unh, unh" (his word for anything he wants). Yesterday he actually got a kitchen chair and pushed it over to me while I was cooking! A bit persistent this little guy.
Not too many words yet. He was building a vocabulary but seems to be focused on other things now. He does make new sounds and really tries to communicate. I think his current words are dog, flower, up, mama, dada, meow, that, this, truck, and maybe a few others. Very few actually sound much like the word though!
Week before last I had Scarlet Fever and dh was great with the kids. The house just about fell apart, lol, but the kids did well. What a trouper. Q just toddled over to nurse and the rest was up to dad. We had a huge 5th birthday party for Miles at the end of that same week so we are still recovering from falling behind around the house. If only someone would do all this laundry for me!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page