tips & ideas for toddler messy party? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 26 Old 04-21-2007, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm hosting a 'messy party' for a group of toddlers and pre-schoolers from our playgroup (ages 15 months-4 years). I just re-read the Mothering article and think we are set with 3 'stations' (outdoors, of course) including:

1) flour on a tarp with bowls, scoops, sifters etc. for pouring, etc.

2) salt clay (or some other homemade clay or playdough recipe) with food coloring; utensils to roll, mold, squish, etc.

3) finger paint and a roll of paper; sponges, brushes, etc. to paint with

Final station with hose, buckets, towels for clean-up. Invite would ask parents to bring towels & change of clothes.

Has anyone else done this? Does that sound like enough? Fun for the younger toddlers as well as the pre-ks? Anything else I should be thinking about or have on-hand?

Thanks, mamas!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 26 Old 04-21-2007, 02:21 PM

Also get a large bucket or tub and fill with a little bit of bubble bath and toys so the kids can clean them. Have scrubbies ready.

If you do anything flour-related outside, make sure to clean it all up. Slugs love the stuff!

Bubbles are always a fun addition, and paper roll spread on the ground with paint and art supplies.

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#3 of 26 Old 04-21-2007, 05:01 PM

Can you put the link to that article? This sounds FUUUUUUNNNNN!

#4 of 26 Old 04-21-2007, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evie P. View Post
Can you put the link to that article? This sounds FUUUUUUNNNNN!

Sure! Here it is! (For some reason, the formatting is wonky, but it's still readable):
Mothering messy party article
#5 of 26 Old 04-23-2007, 10:24 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I liked the idea of noodles, angel hair, rounds, etc and bowls to sort them out.

Or other edidles like toping cupcakes, mostly since my DS still puts evrything in is mouth so edibleis great. But food outside might invite bees outside.

What are you going to use as the stations? Will they stand or sit or both? I was thinking of doing this as my sons second birthday party but can't quite visualize it yet.
#6 of 26 Old 04-23-2007, 10:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by julianito View Post
I liked the idea of noodles, angel hair, rounds, etc and bowls to sort them out.

Or other edidles like toping cupcakes, mostly since my DS still puts evrything in is mouth so edibleis great. But food outside might invite bees outside.

What are you going to use as the stations? Will they stand or sit or both? I was thinking of doing this as my sons second birthday party but can't quite visualize it yet.
yeah, i wasn't sure about edibles, especially with possible food allergies and mamas not wanting their toddlers to have candies and such (only thing i could think of was decorating cookies/cupcakes/ice-cream...)

i'm still trying to visualize the stations, too....thinking i'll try to have as few tables as possible. Maybe just one (covered) for the clay/play-dough. Kids can stand around it if it is low enough. For the flour, i'll just put a tarp on the ground. For finger-paint, was thinking of tacking down the edges of giant roll of paper with rocks or something else heavy....
#7 of 26 Old 04-24-2007, 02:53 PM

Sounds like great fun I was thinking about doing something similar for ds's 2nd birthday - on the roll of paper I would use tent pegs pushed into the ground - rocks are sometimes just too much of a temptation to lift up and to let go off onto toes etc - if the pegs are pushed in far enough they may not see them or at least they would be less accessible! Have a great party.

ewe + dh = our little lambs + we and have many just : and : life .
#8 of 26 Old 04-24-2007, 03:36 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
What a FUN idea! Can I come? : : for ideas!

~Marie: Mom to DS(17), DS(16), DD(14), DD(10), DD(8) & someone new on the way.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#9 of 26 Old 05-26-2007, 10:00 AM

Bumping---

I am hosting a messy party for toddlers age 14 mo-5 years old at the end of May.

So far, we have decided to do

*a tarp (staked down with tent stakes) with LOTS of flour and tools such as strainers, measuring cups and sandbox shovels/buckets.

and small toddler pools filled with:

*jello
*cooked spaghetti noodles
*cornstarch and water (with food coloring)
*pudding
*cooked oatmeal

I am also going to do

*a table (no chairs) with some paper taped down and finger paints.
*a play tent (staked down)filled with marshmallows.
*2 pools filled with water for washing off
*a slip n'slide
*a octopus sprinkler
*water guns
*a sand and water table
*2 beach umbrellas for shade

Wondering if anyone has any suggestions for what worked/didn't work for them, and wondering how it went for anyone else who has hosted a messy party?

Thanks!
#10 of 26 Old 05-26-2007, 10:15 AM

Somehow the article won't load for me. But this sounds like so much fun!

Betsy, mama to beautiful, strong MZ twins Lillian and Kate, born 11 weeks early on January 10, 2006.
#11 of 26 Old 05-26-2007, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by APmom2Libby View Post
Bumping---

I am hosting a messy party for toddlers age 14 mo-5 years old at the end of May.

So far, we have decided to do

*a tarp (staked down with tent stakes) with LOTS of flour and tools such as strainers, measuring cups and sandbox shovels/buckets.

and small toddler pools filled with:

*jello
*cooked spaghetti noodles
*cornstarch and water (with food coloring)
*pudding
*cooked oatmeal

I am also going to do

*a table (no chairs) with some paper taped down and finger paints.
*a play tent (staked down)filled with marshmallows.
*2 pools filled with water for washing off
*a slip n'slide
*a octopus sprinkler
*water guns
*a sand and water table
*2 beach umbrellas for shade

Wondering if anyone has any suggestions for what worked/didn't work for them, and wondering how it went for anyone else who has hosted a messy party?

Thanks!
That all sounds great! I am still interested in ideas since our messy party got rained out and will be rescheduled for sometime in June...
#12 of 26 Old 05-26-2007, 10:47 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
last august, we had a Messy Party when my DD turned 3. we had: a mud pit (our sandbox, flooded with water!), body painting (tarp, paints, brushes, sponges), Tshirt painting (plain white shirts, fabric paints), a goop pit (flour, oatmeal and water inside our inflatable swimming pool) and then inside, we had our bath tub all ready to go with those cool foam spray soaps (they look like shaving cream, but it's soap) plus all sorts of bath toys to get cleaned up. then we had a pinata. we also made her a piggy cake that had chocolate pudding "mud" and gummy worms in the middle to go along with the messy theme

here's my blog post about the Messy Party.

it was alot of fun, and the kids had a blast! i love all your ideas too. the marshmellows in a tent sounds fun! i wish we had room outside for more of the cleaning up stations, we had to do all that inside. our goop pit was super fun, but hard to get out of long hair (so make sure anyone with long hair has it tied back!!!)

Momma to K ('01), E ('03) and A ('07)

Proud Gestational Surrogate to N (15/01/15)
#13 of 26 Old 05-26-2007, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley4 View Post
last august, we had a Messy Party when my DD turned 3. we had: a mud pit (our sandbox, flooded with water!), body painting (tarp, paints, brushes, sponges), Tshirt painting (plain white shirts, fabric paints), a goop pit (flour, oatmeal and water inside our inflatable swimming pool) and then inside, we had our bath tub all ready to go with those cool foam spray soaps (they look like shaving cream, but it's soap) plus all sorts of bath toys to get cleaned up. then we had a pinata. we also made her a piggy cake that had chocolate pudding "mud" and gummy worms in the middle to go along with the messy theme

here's my blog post about the Messy Party.
Those pictures are fabulous! I think I'm looking forward to the great photo ops most!
#14 of 26 Old 06-04-2007, 02:19 PM

We had our Messy Party last week. It went pretty well.

We had a tarp with 15-20 pounds of flour and lots of sandbox toys, a playtent filled with marshmallows, tubs filled with spaghetti, corn starch and water, pudding, jell-o and dry oatmeal, 2 wading pools for washing off, a slip n'slide, and a face painting station (with face paint markers).

Cleanup was a bit horrible. But, the kids really did have fun.

The age group was from about 14 months-4 years old.

IMO, the kids would have had JUST as much fun with a sandbox or sand and water table, a slip n' slide, sprinkler, water guns, water balloons, face paint (we had face paint markers and they were a BIG hit) and finger painting with pudding. (This is what we're doing for our next "Less-Messy Party")

Here's some pics from our Messy Party: http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p...m_medium=email
#15 of 26 Old 06-04-2007, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by APmom2Libby View Post
We had our Messy Party last week. It went pretty well.

We had a tarp with 15-20 pounds of flour and lots of sandbox toys, a playtent filled with marshmallows, tubs filled with spaghetti, corn starch and water, pudding, jell-o and dry oatmeal, 2 wading pools for washing off, a slip n'slide, and a face painting station (with face paint markers).

Cleanup was a bit horrible. But, the kids really did have fun.

The age group was from about 14 months-4 years old.

IMO, the kids would have had JUST as much fun with a sandbox or sand and water table, a slip n' slide, sprinkler, water guns, water balloons, face paint (we had face paint markers and they were a BIG hit) and finger painting with pudding. (This is what we're doing for our next "Less-Messy Party")

Here's some pics from our Messy Party: http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p...m_medium=email
cute pics! Where did you get the face paint markers?

Yeah, I'm trying to keep my party simple. Messy, but simple.
#16 of 26 Old 06-05-2007, 12:48 AM

We just had our second annual messy party and had a great time. We had:

sidewalk chalk
sand & water table w/scoops, strainers, etc
cornstarch/water goo (the most popular both years)
bubble solution and all sorts of wands
a big bowl of shaving cream (to empty our cabinet since dh quit shaving 2 years ago)

a baby pool to swim/clean off in

I like the idea of fingerpainting with pudding, we may have to do that next year.

April
Mama to and
#17 of 26 Old 06-05-2007, 02:59 PM
J2

How much stuff do you need of some of the stuff to fill a pool? Like, how much cornstarch, jello, etc to fill a pool?

I'dlove to do this sometime, but boy would it be a bummer to not buy enough of something!
#18 of 26 Old 06-05-2007, 03:40 PM

another question:

someone mentioned slugs and the flour being tough to clean from the yard - what is the most effective way top clean it up - lot of hosing?
#19 of 26 Old 06-05-2007, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo-bearsmom View Post
another question:

someone mentioned slugs and the flour being tough to clean from the yard - what is the most effective way top clean it up - lot of hosing?

Flour gets really yucky and gooey when it gets wet, so I always keep it separate from water. I vacuum up the dry flour with our industrial shop vac.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#20 of 26 Old 06-09-2007, 03:10 PM

I got the face paint markers at Hobby Lobby her in Illinois.

On-line you can get them here
#21 of 26 Old 06-09-2007, 03:14 PM

I didn't use toddler pools, I used plastic tubs (usually used for BBQ's to put ice and drinks in)...they worked well and that way we didn't need a TON of stuff to fill them).

Also, I TOTALLY agree about the flour. It was by far the MOST DIFFICULT to clean up. I will NEVER do that again. The kids started pouring water on it and it turned into a huge dough pit. There was globs of dough on all the toys, all over the yard, in the kids hair----a MESS!

Like I said above, I think they would have had JUST as much fun with sand rather than flour.

Another fun thing we did was slice up a watermelon. The kids loved the sweet treat, as did the moms!
#22 of 26 Old 06-10-2007, 10:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
oooh Im so excited that Im not the only lunatic to want to do this for my baby's 3rd bday! My family thinks Im nutters.

I think I'll skip the flour tarp, and have the sandbox instead. Also think I'll do cornstarch/water in square buckets, molding dough, fingerpainting on paper rolls, decorate own cookie and the pool/sprinkler/slip n slide. easy cleanup. And my gang will be 5 or 6 3 year olds.

I like the idea of a piggy cake, too. Funny!
#23 of 26 Old 06-25-2007, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

Just wanted to update everyone. We had our messy party this morning and it was wonderfully messy and everyone had a GREAT time!

We ended up with the following stations:

--salt clay (colored with Kool Aid) and utensils for rolling, molding, etc.

--potting soil and seeds

--flour with cups, sifters, etc.

--finger paint with sponges, brushes, etc. on long sheets of paper

--bubbles

--facepaint markers (Thanks APmom2Libby! I found them at Michael's. They were a HUGE hit!)

--wading pool

I can't comment on clean-up since I am sitting here at the computer drinking coffee while the yard is still a total disaster. I'll tackle it after naptime, but I don't think it'll be too bad. The forecast is calling for rain, so I'm hoping that'll make my job a little easier.

I took some excellent pictures, but don't want to post without permission of the other parents. Here is one of DD, though.
#24 of 26 Old 06-25-2007, 04:25 PM

We just had our first messy party a few days ago. We had:
A baby pool filled with sand
A baby pool filled with water and bubbles
An underbed tupperware storage bin filled with flour
Another tupperware storage bin (a shallow one) filled with dry rice
And a last one filled with cornstarch and water
A picnic table and an easel with painting supplies

I got some cute plastic table cloths on sale and put them under all the bins and pools and paint for easy clean up. It was loads of fun, and not as hard to clean up as I thought. The flour did get gunky in dd's hair though, that was no fun to get out. We grilled and that was a nice easy way to feed everyone.
#25 of 26 Old 06-25-2007, 05:39 PM

I'm really wishing I had a summer birthday baby! Outside parties in Illinois in February wouldn't work very well!

These look like such fun. We may have to have a "just because" messy party.
#26 of 26 Old 06-25-2007, 09:05 PM

Subbing, to read later. This would be a great event for our moms group. :

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page