Not eating solids anymore - Mothering Forums

#1 of 4 Old 05-06-2007, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DS is one year and suddenly refuses to eat solids. He now HATES his highchair and his booster seat. I don't know, but I sense that this is contributing to his night wakings to feed (3 or more a night). Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 05-06-2007, 06:15 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
It sounds normal to me. Lots of kids nurse more and eat less when they're about a year old- the novelty (of eating solids) has worn off! Nursing more frequently makes a lot of sense, especially if he's too busy to nurse well OR eat solids during the day.

I'd try offering snacks and meals whenever you have a snack or a meal- if he's hardly eating solids then you probably need to eat frequently anyway! He might be more interested in finger foods, rather than purees, and stuff from your plate is likely to look more appetizing than anything specifically served to him.

I'd try to let go of controlling his diet. Your job is to offer him a variety of healthy foods (including breastmilk) and his job is to eat what his body needs. What he actually takes in can vary widely from one day to the next, but as long as you're offering him lots of interesting stuff, you're doing your job.

Ruth, single mommy to 3 quasi-adults
#3 of 4 Old 05-06-2007, 08:30 PM

My ds2 went thru the same thing at that age. I just stopped even trying to make him sit in the highchair or booster seat to eat. At that age he would eat and run. I just left little snacks out for him,and occasionally he would stop for a bite. And like Ruthla said,little pieces of food are more appealing than purees at that age.

#4 of 4 Old 05-06-2007, 08:35 PM

Totally normal.

Forget spoon feeding. Offer things he can feed himself. Leave a selection out for him to graze on. He'll eat what he needs.

-Angela

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page