June 2006 Mamas - March '08 Thread! - Mothering Forums

#1 of 78 Old 03-05-2008, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Wow, I can't believe there's no March thread yet! Here's a funny I thought you all woudl enjoy:

So D had his 4-yr well check this week (he's doing fine). After the nurse did her preliminary stuff, she asked us if he'd be OK getting into a gown to be examined, and I explained why and asked D and he said yes - so he got down to his underwear and socks, and I was getting the little exam gown (totally cute cloth gown with little tigers all over it) snapped around his arms, and I turn around - and K has taken her boots off, her pants are around her ankles, and she's rummaging in the drawer for a gown of her own while trying to kick the pants off her legs. After a brief but animated discussion, she settled for wearing a gown over her clothes while D was being examined.

Never a dull moment in my life.

Heather, WAHM to DS (01/04)DD (06/06). Wed to DH(09/97)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 78 Old 03-05-2008, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That's so cute.

Mom to K (06.23.06) & A (09.13.09)
#3 of 78 Old 03-05-2008, 04:55 PM

Cute.

Samantha is very protective of Jackson. They still bicker and fight over things (it really is just like having twins...we have to have two of everything) but she'll make sure Jackson is taken care of when she is. If she goes to eat, "Jackson eat?" Jackson must have a drink when she does, he has to eat when she does, and he has to go to sleep and wake up when she does. If they're not strapped in to their highchairs to eat, she'll feed him. It's adorable to watch her feed him one Cheerio at a time.

So, um, we're moving apparently. This house has a lot of wasted space, and just isn't a good layout for us anymore. So we're looking for a place with a basement so that the kids have somewhere to go play. Wish us luck...I have to get the house show ready in 25 days. Yikes!!

Sarah - Mama to Vic (1/19/00), Syd (4/06/02) Sam (4/20/06-born at 30wk2d), JackJack (2/14/07) and Charlie (4/30/10)

#4 of 78 Old 03-05-2008, 07:14 PM

Mamato Ruby Violet joy.gif(6 with autism) and someone 1sttri.gif who should make him/herself known sometime in the next month.

#5 of 78 Old 03-05-2008, 07:50 PM

Happy march everyone!

The gown story was so cute... more kids more excitement!

And happy house scrubbing sarah! how exciting.

So, we're getting a marsvin. Is that a guinea pig? it looks like this. We were int he pet store today to ask about them and I fell as much in love with a rodent as possible for me... i think one will fit in quite well around here. Only, sydney was more interested in the fish and dog toys than in it I think that will change when it's "hers". kwim?

Soooo dh is leaving for 11 days to Israel tomorrow. We're getting one while he's gone jk, he thought it was a cozy idea to get one. I'll surprise him with it though. We are going to adopt one that needs a home though, instead of getting a "fresh" one. I hope all goes well.

I've got three monkeys jumping on the bed!!

#6 of 78 Old 03-05-2008, 10:16 PM

What is everyone doing re: potty training/learning? I feel like I want to get DS started but don't really know how. I have that book, Diaper Free Before 3, but basically it requires me putting him on the potty in the am and after naps and before baths, and then hoping he gets the connection. He seems aware of when he needs a new diaper, and I really don't want 2 in diapers for very long. Thoughts? Is this too much for him considering the new baby and nightweaning?

Nightweaning has been pretty successful, which makes me happy. But kind of sad, too.

DS is also watching too much TV and not eating enough vegetables. I tried sneaking something into a quesadilla but it wasn't entirely successful. I think I need to get more creative and try new foods, in general (not just vegetables).

sorry for the rambling, very tired
#7 of 78 Old 03-05-2008, 10:26 PM - Thread Starter

Yes Kari, that's a guinea pig! I had 2 as a kid before we got our dog - I loved them. I don't think I mentioned that before in the conversation.

Re: pottying, Kait is kind of forcing my hand. She wants to be naked and pee on the carpet; this is not agreeable to me. So, I guess we're on the potty wagon. She actually had 2 hits in the potty today, and a few misses. Thank goodness I have 9 pair of cotton trainers, I'll likely be doing a load of them daily for a while. My technique is going to be relentlessly reminding her every 10 minutes that when she needs to pee she needs to sit on the potty. She's going to be so sick of hearing me say it, she's going to do it just to shut me up. So I guess we're in cotton trainers at home now and diapers just at night and when we're out of the house, until she gets a bit better at this.

This is completely opposite of D, who trained in like, 3 days max (with maybe 3 accidents total), day and night, wet and dirty, shortly before he was 3. He had NO interest before then, and didn't care if he was wet or dirty (my little caveman). I think I kind of preferred that, cause this peeing on the carpet thing is really starting to bug me. :

#8 of 78 Old 03-05-2008, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selesai View Post
DS is also watching too much TV and not eating enough vegetables. I tried sneaking something into a quesadilla but it wasn't entirely successful. I think I need to get more creative and try new foods, in general (not just vegetables).

Seriously, woman, cut yourself some slack.

#9 of 78 Old 03-06-2008, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The4OfUs View Post
:

Have you tried soup? noodles are a big hit, and if there are some veggies in there he may not notice.

Potty learning... sometimes she acts interested, but not often. so i'm doing nothing.

Mamato Ruby Violet joy.gif(6 with autism) and someone 1sttri.gif who should make him/herself known sometime in the next month.

#10 of 78 Old 03-06-2008, 08:01 AM

Quote:
What is everyone doing re: potty training/learning? I feel like I want to get DS started but don't really know how. I have that book, Diaper Free Before 3, but basically it requires me putting him on the potty in the am and after naps and before baths, and then hoping he gets the connection. He seems aware of when he needs a new diaper, and I really don't want 2 in diapers for very long. Thoughts? Is this too much for him considering the new baby and night weaning?

Night weaning has been pretty successful, which makes me happy. But kind of sad, too.

Re potty training.... sydney's rocking the potty. On monday she even peed on the "big" potty. We've been at it for some months now. around 16 months I started letting her run around naked. I let her watch me go potty so she gets the picture (maybe more than she wants ). When she tinkles int he potty we dump it in the toilet together and she says bye-bye poo poo and gets to flush. (a little incentive). so yeah, she's picked it up really well but I don't take her out with out a diaper yet, she still pees when she has pants on and no diaper. I'm not pushing it with her, just feeling her tempo and going with the flow.... She poops in her potty daily.

We have wood floors through the whole house, thank goodness, she is a little nudist so we just have the potty in the corner where it feels safe for her to do her thing.

I second the soup idea. You can even puree the veggies a bit. If he likes pancakes you could puree up some sweet potato, carrots, or other veggies and mix into the batter. i did that with Sydney a bit....

#11 of 78 Old 03-06-2008, 02:03 PM

HEY All!

Where did february go? It seems like I have not been here in ages.

As far as vegies go Lu eats them all. Prefers them a bit frozen. (peas,corn cooked carrots) I second the sweet potato or squash pancakes! :

I have been doing stuff from the sneaky chef and decedtively delicious. (for the 11 y/o) and the kids have no Idea. Excep the one that helps cook.

They ask for recipies that come from thoose books .

As far as potty goes we are pee trained during the day at home. I put a dipe on if out and about.She wiggs out if she pees in it thought. so I think we are close. Poop is another issue.

Doing what I can to make better choices every day!
#12 of 78 Old 03-06-2008, 03:54 PM

Good luck Sarah! My SIL & BIL have been trying to sell their house for ages, then finally closed and had to move in 2 weeks. Yikes. Fortunately we (more DH, I was at a meeting) were able to help out and they got everything but the cleaning done in 2 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klynne View Post
So, we're getting a marsvin. Is that a guinea pig? it looks like this.
Yes! I love guinea pigs. They are so sweet.

Quote:
What is everyone doing re: potty training/learning?
I would like to start with the potty learning, but we're flying to Spain next month and I don't want to set her back with a 20+ hour trip (each direction) where she may or may not be able to make it to a bathroom. So for now, I let her have some nakey time and I let her sit on the potty while I'm in there. she'll sit on it for a few seconds, but no real interest yet. I think we'll start putting real effort into it after we get back from Spain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The4OfUs View Post
:

I also totally agree with the soup thing. Katie has no interest in most veggies or fruits, but she'll totally chow down on smoothies and soup/chili/stew. Her favorite soup is roasted red pepper with a dallop of sour cream.

#13 of 78 Old 03-06-2008, 03:56 PM

Oh right.
There's a cell phone commercial here with frogs that "fly" off the screen, and K kept telling us they were birds. So we'd correct her with "frog". Now, apparently, every unidentified object is a frog. Her nightlight is a frog (lavalamp) and she saw a picture of an elephant yesterday and decided that was a frog too.

#14 of 78 Old 03-06-2008, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaJes View Post
Oh right.
There's a cell phone commercial here with frogs that "fly" off the screen, and K kept telling us they were birds. So we'd correct her with "frog". Now, apparently, every unidentified object is a frog. Her nightlight is a frog (lavalamp) and she saw a picture of an elephant yesterday and decided that was a frog too.
CUTE!

Lu woofs and meows at everything! she was meowing at a cow the other day.

Doing what I can to make better choices every day!
#15 of 78 Old 03-06-2008, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicmama View Post
Lu woofs and meows at everything! she was meowing at a cow the other day.
Funny!
DH's cousin is obsessed with cows, and tried one day to get Katie to say 'moo' when she was babysitting. Every time, Katie would say 'meow'. DH and I were trying to laugh quietly so said cousin wouldn't get offended. These days, cows say 'boooo'. Which is nearly as funny.

#16 of 78 Old 03-06-2008, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiromama View Post
Potty learning... sometimes she acts interested, but not often. so i'm doing nothing.
this is us too. she sits on it when she asks too, but we're not pushing it. another reason to move...hardwood floors! i loathe carpet with little kids around. i'd rather sweep than vacuum any day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaJes View Post
Oh right.
all animals were "doggie!" to sam for a long time. she's starting to get it now

thanks for the well-wishes. i'm counting our lucky starss that we're trying to find a RENTER not a BUYER. the market sucks for finding a buyer.

Sarah - Mama to Vic (1/19/00), Syd (4/06/02) Sam (4/20/06-born at 30wk2d), JackJack (2/14/07) and Charlie (4/30/10)
#17 of 78 Old 03-08-2008, 03:09 AM

Hey Mamas!! I've missed you all! We've been really busy getting adjusted to our new home on the other side of the country, but we L-O-V-E it. Seriously. Can't believe we're coming up on 2 months here already. It already feels like home! An incredibly gorgeous, and nice warm, home (LOL, sorry to those freezing right now!) People are soooo nice...so we've been exploring, unpacking, making friends, learning our way around, trying every awesome Mexican restaurant in town (oh yeah....living 1 hour from the border rocks if you love Mexican food - and margaritas - like we do! Not so much for my waistline though....)

We had our first visitor last week - my mom flew out to spend a few days. I miss her soooo much....that was the hardes thing about moving, for me - leaving my mom, who was just widowed last June. So it was awesome to see her!

Now I'm just catching up...as things are starting to go back to "normal" - whatever that is!! So what have I missed?!?!

I can't believe how big our June '06 babes are getting!!! I say that every month, but this past month, I *really* mean it - I feel like Andrew has had a growth spurt in EVERY sense: physical, cognitive, verbal, social - it's crazy! He is still my sweet little man but he's SO independent and has ZERO fear. Neither of my DDs was like that! In fact he scared me half to death TWICE last week - once he ran away from me at the park while I was talking to some other moms at a homeschool playgroup, and it took my several minutes (when I was seriously freaking out, felt like hours!) to find him - he was SO far away, almost to the main road! And then I was in a mattress store ordering a mattress for our new bedroom set, he was trying to get out of the stroller so I let him for a moment, and in the time it took me just to sign the sales slip, he bolted out the door and practically into the shopping center parking lot!!

And yet despite the fact that he apparently has no qualms about running away from me during the day, throughout the entire night he must remain firmly attached to my boob.: I think I'm gonna try some gentle nightweaning methods (or at least night-cutting-downing methods!) now that we're all settled in here. Didn't want to make any big changes while moving across the country! For now, I've started nursing him & getting him down in his toddler bed in his own room, and then when he first wakes up, I bring him in bed with us. But from then on, he still wakes up and nurses several times.

Anyway, he totally amazes me - DH think it's because he has a mama and 2 sisters who never shut up (LOL) but his language, both expressive and receptive, just floors me! And sometimes he'll come out with something I have no idea how he learned - today, he nursed for a bit, sat up and burped, then looked at me and giggled and said, "Scuse me!" ROFL!! Then, we were in the car around Andrew's usual naptime and the girls were getting really loud and all of a sudden Andrew starts wagging his finger at them and yelling, "KY-ET! KY-ET!" He also cracks me up with animal sounds - the girls have taught him a bunch, so I was asking him, "What does the doggie say?", "What does the kitty say?", etc. and then I said, "What does the MONSTER say?" just to see what he'd do, and he made a scary face and yelled, "RRRRAAAAARRRRR!!!"

Anyway, we've done absolutely NOTHING in the way of potty training with Andrew - have not even thought about it - mostly because I am still working on that with Maddy!! : Ugh! I think she FINALLY has it this time, though. I was a little worried last month when she told me that even when SHE is a mama someday, she is still going to wear diapers and have my nursies. Now there's a picture for you....

On the other topics I've mised....we don't have any pets, unless you count the fish that the previous owners of the house left in the koi pond, which we're taking on bets on how quickly we can kill (We have NO clue how to take care of them. We are SO not pet people. We're not even plant people. The expression, "she could kill a cactus?" Well, now living in Arizona, I'm sure I'll be able to. Frankly, I'm continually amazed that I've kept three small human beings alive for as long as I have!)

And, still TTC, but still not pg. Oh well, this cycle has potential, so we shall see.....

I have to upload some more pics, but here are a few recent ones:
Pics of the Kids

Kerriintactlact.gif blessed single mama to Teresa 8/2/02blahblah.gif, Madeleine 5/28/04dust.gif, Andrew 6/25/06jammin.gif, and Isabelle ribboncesarean.gif11/27/08energy.gif

#18 of 78 Old 03-08-2008, 09:01 PM

Kerri - so nice to hear how well you guys are doing! I was at the nursery yesterday in the house plant section and the cactus's were blooming. The colors were a.m.a.z.i.n.g, simply breath taking, and i remember you mentioning spring was on it's way. I can't imagine how beautiful it must be there when all the desert plants are gloriously blooming!

It's so cute to hear how the diffrent kids understand noises and words. Diversity is a wonderful thing. how boring if we all were alike!

the rest is rambling...

I got my first subscription issue of mothering today! And it has articles about cding in it (we plan to do it with our next). I couldn't be happier.

Sydney is such a birthday suit girl... and went on a potty strike, i think i jinxed myself by telling how well she was doing! lol, she peed all over yesterday and even pooped on the trampoline (a little indoor one we have, thankfully it's relatively easy to get clean). I thought I was going to throw up.

I'm running out of things to do with dd along with creative energy, and with a little over 70% of kids Sydneys age enrolled in full time daycare here... there are 0 independent activity groups for toddlers : I thought about starting one, but I think there is a reason why none exist...

one more divergent thought: is anyone using nettle tea? I bought some dried nettles today and then started reading about all the healing/nutritional properties and am quite blown away. I think i'm going to be drinking it the rest of my life!!

off to bed.

#19 of 78 Old 03-09-2008, 12:18 AM

Here's the latest pictures of my supposed-to-be-Junebug
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n...arch2008_2.jpg
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n...2March2008.jpg
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n...rch2008_10.jpg
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n...rch2008_14.jpg
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n...rch2008_15.jpg

She's growing up so very fast. Counting to 10, trying to sign the alphabet (it's hysterical...must get a video of that!) and singing the cleanup song (from Barney ), twinkle twinkle little star, itsy bitsy spider, and row row row your boat.

The other day I asked her to get me a diaper so that I could change Jackson's diaper, and when she was closing the cabinet door after getting the diaper out, Jackson raced over and was getting in her way. She tried to push him out of the way a few times and then shoved him and pointed at me fiercely while yelling, "JACKSON! GO.NURSE!" My friend was over visiting and we just about died.

#20 of 78 Old 03-09-2008, 12:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sehbub View Post
She tried to push him out of the way a few times and then shoved him and pointed at me fiercely while yelling, "JACKSON! GO.NURSE!" My friend was over visiting and we just about died.

#21 of 78 Old 03-09-2008, 10:22 PM

Kerri - Hi, welcome back, I have been wondering how things were going. Thanks for filling us in and sharing the pics. They are great. He is looking so much bigger, it is incredible. And the expressions he is using are hilarious! Tatum is cracking me up lately, too, in some similar ways.

Don't have too much time to post, but wanted to share some pictures as well. Can someone tell me if this works? And, does it make you sign in? It takes me right to the album, but didn't know the deal for everyone else viewing them...I guess the same for my sig pics, too. Oh well, its the only way I've figured out how to share so far.

Quote:
The other day I asked her to get me a diaper so that I could change Jackson's diaper, and when she was closing the cabinet door after getting the diaper out, Jackson raced over and was getting in her way. She tried to push him out of the way a few times and then shoved him and pointed at me fiercely while yelling, "JACKSON! GO.NURSE!" My friend was over visiting and we just about died.

Already!?!?! cold.gif  ~ Lori, doula, childbirth educator, wife to Jermaine 6/04, and mom to two happy and energetic boys - Tatum 6/06 and Keegan 3/09

#22 of 78 Old 03-10-2008, 10:45 AM

Great pics of Tatum! We have that frog in the first picture. The babies LOVE that thing.

#23 of 78 Old 03-11-2008, 03:38 PM

Quote:
That's hilarious! I can totally picture it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2tatum View Post
Don't have too much time to post, but wanted to share some pictures as well. Can someone tell me if this works? And, does it make you sign in? It takes me right to the album, but didn't know the deal for everyone else viewing them...I guess the same for my sig pics, too. Oh well, its the only way I've figured out how to share so far.
The link doesn't work for me I'll try again later, since it seemed to work for others. could just be IE being funny. you never know!

We got a guinea pig today! She's black and white with hair that goes every which way. I thought of a punk when i saw her, so maybe we'll name her Roxy, ?? Sydney can't say roxy very well yet, so.... she calls her dokka ("doll" in norwegian)

We just got her home, like some house ago. I tried to hold her but she's so afraid. for you who've owned one before, what's the best way to get acquainted?? Poor thing....

And, I felt the baby move yesterday *sigh*

#24 of 78 Old 03-11-2008, 07:13 PM

Kari - awesome! Of all the ones I have known, they have all been (on some level) a little skittish. He'll probably adjust if you take him out a little more each day and get him used to being held and build that trust with his handlers. Hey, maybe you could sling him!

Already!?!?! cold.gif  ~ Lori, doula, childbirth educator, wife to Jermaine 6/04, and mom to two happy and energetic boys - Tatum 6/06 and Keegan 3/09

#25 of 78 Old 03-12-2008, 07:48 AM

Quote:
. Hey, maybe you could sling him!
grand idea! I've got a little milk left too!

Yes, she's very skittish and tried to nibble my fingers when i picked her up yesterday. Sydney's in love though. Always saying "Nei!! Se der!!" ("Hey!! look there!") and pointing to it, giving it hay... etc.
I'm actually wondering what I got myself into though

Oh, and when I went to change the bedding this morning, there was wood chips litterly CAKED on the bottom. i had to scrub hard with hot water and even then it didn't all go away. I'm glad we bought her cause she obviously wasn't being properly taken care of . I want to bather her now too since she's been running around atop that crud. But we'll wait til she's better acquainted with us.

#26 of 78 Old 03-12-2008, 12:07 PM

Oh boy, you seem to be feeling like I am with these fish. What was I thinking? We've killed all of the original fish (4) and all the replacements except one, who is currently ready to die as well. We've got tank problems, and as much as we've tried to do what the fish experts told us to, its NOT HELPING. Tatum keeps asking for "guy", and I feel so bad...he doesn't get any of the answers I've given him, of course. They are pretty little guppy fish, but J is going to fish store today to see if we should get a different type or something.

Good luck with your guinea pig, she'll come around. They are more work than ya think, ya know?

Tatum's favorite thing is hanging hangers on the low rod in his closet. Which is fun for putting clean laundry away. But then when its all done, he wants more. So we take a bunch of hangers out and let him hang them all back up...he is so proud of himself, its cute.

#27 of 78 Old 03-12-2008, 12:37 PM

Quote:
They are pretty little guppy fish, but J is going to fish store today to see if we should get a different type or something.
The only fish I haven't been able to kill is a beta. The one we have now I got before Katie was born and he's still going strong. They don't need a bubbler/filter as long as you clean the tank, and they are surface breathers. They also do better when you only feed them a couple of times a week. And they're pretty & flashy, so Katie loves them. But only get one, or get seperate bowls, they're not called Siamese Fighting Fish for nothing. I have mine in a big vase with some glass marbles at the bottom and 3 "lucky bamboo" sticks.

#28 of 78 Old 03-12-2008, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter

Love the pics of Tatum, Lori!

Jealous of the guinea pig situation, Kari (but not jealous enough to get one myself ). From what I remember, holding them to make them more comfy is just an exercise in doing it a little longer every day as they get used to you. I had one in college for a while and we used to love letting it run around the hallway of the dorm. Good old Baxter.

Guess what? I've got laryngitis - NO voice. Just squeaks and grunts coming out of me. I've never had it before, it's pretty wild. I don't feel sick really, which is good. It's been VERY interesting trying to parent these two kiddles with no voice. And by interesting, I mean

#29 of 78 Old 03-12-2008, 09:49 PM

we have the flu. I am miserable.

#30 of 78 Old 03-12-2008, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiromama View Post
we have the flu. I am miserable.
oh good GRIEF korin! y'all just can't catch a break! i wish i could come and spell you for a couple hours, at least so you could get a nap. :hu

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page