Given $500 to buy my DDs new toys,etc-Please Recommend Great NATURAL TOYS for 3.5 and 1.5 yo! Thanks!!! - Mothering Forums

#1 of 17 Old 06-05-2008, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I would love to have suggestions of some great NATURAL (wooden, cloth, etc) that your child LOVE to play with. I have too many toys *that are too young for my children that they just dont play with anymore. I am thinking maybe a wooden playkitchen and or dollhouse or some dress up clothing, but I would LOVE some other ideas or suggestions. I am looking for things that most 3.5 yo and 1.5 yo love to use daily. TIA!!!

ps if you can all mention where to buy the items that would be a big +

Update: Post #6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 17 Old 06-05-2008, 02:47 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hm. If your kids don't play with the toys they have now, what makes you think they would play with other toys? Although, if you don't have a nice set of wooden blocks, those might be a good choice. My kids 5 and 8 still play with those.

But if you've got $500 to spare, it seems like it might be better spent on a zoo membership, swimming lessons, children's museum membership, something like that. And put the rest in the college fund.
#3 of 17 Old 06-05-2008, 03:04 PM

What about putting the money towards an outdoor wooden playhouse or climbing structure?

#4 of 17 Old 06-05-2008, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinemama View Post
Hm. If your kids don't play with the toys they have now, what makes you think they would play with other toys? Although, if you don't have a nice set of wooden blocks, those might be a good choice. My kids 5 and 8 still play with those.

But if you've got $500 to spare, it seems like it might be better spent on a zoo membership, swimming lessons, children's museum membership, something like that. And put the rest in the college fund.
I love the membership ideas. If they don't play with what they have now, I would be hesitent to buy more. Memberships you will be able to enjoy all year.

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09
#5 of 17 Old 06-05-2008, 03:52 PM

i would say a wooden kitchen would get a lot of use... we got ours from willowtoys.com

wooden blocks, the "bark" blocks, etc and I would think a wooden dollhouse... they have some nice ones at novanatural.com and threesisterstoys.com

then you could finish it off w/ some felt food, a waldorf doll, shopping cart, brooms, etc. i love palumba.com for ideas!

good luck!
#6 of 17 Old 06-05-2008, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

***UPDATE:*** Thanks for the replies. I edited my original post to state that the toys they have now are just a few from a long time ago and they are all geared for babies/real young children. They DID play with them and still play with toys, like little realistic looking animals, people, wood blocks, but I was given money from their grandma to get them some new things (they have a college fund already started ) as our toys are outdated for their ages now and I would love age appropriate suggestions. Thanks again!!!
#7 of 17 Old 06-05-2008, 07:40 PM

a kitchen is a great idea.

my ds is always playing with our friend's kitchen when we go over.

Lots of open ended toys, I'd think... Playsilks and dress-up, Ride-on toys, Pretend 'grown-up' toys (vacuums, lawn-mowers, cash registers) a Train table (they can be used for LOTS of stuff, not just trains, but they are a great height for kids to play at).

here are some good resources:
Oompa
Rosie Hippo
The Wooden Wagon
Wooden Toys

I'm sure you can google or search mdc for other options. Don't forget you can find very cool felt foods on ETSY.

I really like the rainbow stacking blocks.
Rainbow Stacking Arches -i don't have any, but I really like 'em.

I also really like the idea of Balance Bikes:
Balance Bikes
Again, we don't have any of these, but they seem way cool. And they are an outdoor toy that can be passed down.

Etsy
lots of fun stuff here
Playsilks
VividTribe she does playsilks and custom dyes.

Okay, I think that is a lot. Have fun shopping!
#8 of 17 Old 06-05-2008, 07:49 PM

www.woodentoy.com is where we got a fabulous block wagon! The blocks really are wonderful. And playing w/ blocks improves the mathematical part of the brain. Blocks will grow up with them.

nice wooden kitchen is a great idea, but my girls play more w/ the blocks than they do w/ their kitchen... so if you don't have a nice set of unit blocks yet, that gets my vote.
#9 of 17 Old 06-05-2008, 10:54 PM

My daughter is 2 1/2 my in laws just gave her a hand me down doll house and she adores it. We don't have any dolls or furniture for it yet (which I know she would love to have because the library has one and she loves to play with that sutff there). She just uses her little people as toys in it and she adores it so I give a big vote for a doll house. Ours is completely different but if I had opted for a new one I would have gotten something like this:
http://www.growingtreetoys.com/product/7771
If you look on the menu at growing tree toys there are tons of other dollhouses to choose from.

My daughter also really loves dress up clothes. I have a bunch of hand me down dress up clothes that were generously given to us.
I would definately invest in a box of dress up clothes for that age group. Some ideas for the dress up box:
Animals
Doctors(white coats,scrubs,paramedic type costumes),firefighters, cooks, any other type of professional your kids might like to dress up as.
Renaissance type outfits (super fancy dresses, pantaloons,bloomers,capes) google renaissance im sure you will get tons of results
Fantasy stuff (unicorns,knights,princesses,fairies,dragons)
Shoes of any type that is different, doesn't even have to be their size
Abstract play stuff like play silks
whatever else you can think of this was just some random ideas to get you started
atoygarden.com has some good dress up clothes but you will probably have better luck searching costume by costume or looking at goodwill for stuff that will work.

A wooden kitchen is a great idea, my daughter doesn't have one but she loves to pretend to cook and will do it with whatever toys she has available (little people become "chicken" ect). We would love to have one, I say go for it!

My mom bought my mom some automoblox for christmas she loves
them. They are so cool we like to play with them too. My husbands 10 year old foster brother even liked them so I am hoping they will last a long time. Here is a link, you can buy them at tons of places cheaper than the main site though with a little searching. http://automoblox.com/

My final suggestion is art supplies. Or "art" toys my daughter has a doodle pro that gets a lot of play time but what she really loves is finger paints (crayola ones wash up really easy), crayons, markers, stickers, construction paper ect ect use your imagination. If we had the money and space I probably would get her some sort of an art desk her size, right now she does art at the kitchen table but boosters are uncomfortable and shes a little too short for the table.
Hope that gives you some ideas!
#10 of 17 Old 06-06-2008, 12:02 AM

How about a process table? Formerly known as a sand/water table, a "process" table is a more accurate description since you can put way more than just sand or water in there.

Community Playthings Sand/Water tables

As much fun as sand and water can be, you can switch things up when the kids get bored. In the fall you can put in acorns and leaves, in the winter you can put in snow. Other fun ideas: rice, pasta, corn, paper and scissors, shaving cream, mulch . . . I could go on and on.

Whatever you choose, I would try to think of things that will be fun for a loooong time so that you don't find yourself in this situation again in a couple of years. The toys my kids have been playing with for at least 3 years: Blocks, trains and train tracks, musical instruments, baby dolls and strollers . . the wooden kitchen off and on (they don't love it nearly as much as I do )

HTH!

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 6, 7, 8, 10, 12 & 12) in a small house with a lot of love.
#11 of 17 Old 06-06-2008, 12:21 AM

Quote:
I also really like the idea of Balance Bikes:
Balance Bikes
Again, we don't have any of these, but they seem way cool. And they are an outdoor toy that can be passed down.

Etsy
My 2 yr old just got a glider-rider for his birthday- it is a big hit!
#12 of 17 Old 06-06-2008, 01:06 AM

I feel like a broken record, but I always recommend a wooden push mower toy for toddlers. Just such a fun toy that your child will play with for a LONG time. Ds is 26 months and still LOVES his.

Carrin Mama to Sawyer 4/06 and TTC #2 I am a WAHM!
#13 of 17 Old 06-06-2008, 01:12 AM

https://www.hipfromholland.com/newes...8b85936f90746c

this looks pretty cool!
also, how about musical instruments?

Still a sleepy mama to my fabulous 2 year old girl
#14 of 17 Old 06-06-2008, 02:42 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
It's not a toy, per se, but my son must climb on his learning tower at least a dozen times a day, if not more. There's a puppet theater attachment, though I don't know if it's worth it.

http://www.amazon.com/Little-Partner...2727063&sr=8-1

We made our own balance bike out of a regular 2 wheeler. Took the pedals, crank shaft, and chain off and let him just ride. When he's ready we'll put the parts back on and he'll have a regular bike. If you're looking for just a balance bike, check out mykinderbike.com and see if you like those.

Homeschooling and loving it.
#15 of 17 Old 06-06-2008, 08:38 AM

The first thing I would buy would be a toy kitchen and some play food and toy pans and utensils. If you don't already have a Learning Tower, you should get one of those. Hmmm... What else? Musical instruments, Waldorf dolls and accessories, and Waldorf play stands, silks, and clips come to mind.
#16 of 17 Old 06-06-2008, 08:56 AM

Nova Naturals has some truely awesome toys!

I suggest play food/dishes etc.
#17 of 17 Old 06-06-2008, 09:38 AM

Bikes (balance then two wheeler)
Rope
Trampoline for backyard
Swing to hang from tree -- like a disc swing
Dress up dresses -- formal dresses, discarded dance recital outfits from thrift store
Dolls, doll clothes
Pass to community pool
In-tune keyboard of some kind (from toy piano if you need wood, to electronic keyboard)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page