Up allllll night.... Toddler wouldn't go back to sleep.... - Mothering Forums

#1 of 5 Old 06-25-2008, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 21month old, normally a good sleeper unless she's teething, who would then wake up, I go nurse her back to sleep, and that is that. Last night, however, she went down at 7:15pm ( a little early for her but she had a small nap so I figured she needed it plus she was crying for bed at 7pm), then she woke up at 11pm and NO amount of nursing, cuddling, songs, or ANYTHING would get this child to go back to sleep. She was up till 4AM!!!!!!!! She was wide awake, trying to play w/toys at 3 in the morning. I might add, that her father is in the Air Force and had to fly last night, he came home at 3:30 am and she got into bed with us and finally fell asleep. She was also asking for her daddy all night before he got home. Now this is NEW, he has been flying for her whole life and never once did she cry for him or pull a stunt like this.

Soooo, what is the deal with her? Is she suddenly missing her daddy when he is gone? If so, how come I couldn't get her to sleep even w/all the tricks up my sleeve. He does not put her to sleep at night or anything so I don't get it, she is normally a SUPER mama's baby. Maybe it's time to give up the nap? What gives....

Living Simply and Enjoying Life
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 06-25-2008, 03:05 PM

I have had random nights like that with half my kids. I am expecting to have them with the other half, but we will see. She may be going through a cognitive developmental growth spurt. They are harder to observe than physical development, but often keep kids up with mental processing - the way some kids practice crawling and standing in their sleep.

If nothing else was different in her routine, I would give her a few nights and see what happens. We went through about ten days of this kind of thing with DS3 and it turned out he was getting two teeth and working on climbing stairs. As soon as those both resolved, he started sleeping through the night again.

Kate
mother of Patrick (7/31/03), and Michael, William, and Jocelyn (4/27/07)
#3 of 5 Old 06-25-2008, 03:58 PM

WOW!!! mine did the exact same thing on Sunday night!!! She woke up at 2:30 and i went in to sleep with her (shes on a futon on the floor) and she stayed awake jumping all over me until I finally woke DH up at 5 and had him take over. She is also 21 months(9-7-06).She has done this before on the VERY seldom occasion of us trying to see if she has lost her intolerance to dairy. She had had none for days at that point though. Who knows its just so strange and random and as it turns out two of my coworkers also did not sleep.

#4 of 5 Old 06-25-2008, 04:36 PM

I have a poor sleeper, and something like Daddy being gone will bother her.

Could it be 2-year molars?
#5 of 5 Old 06-25-2008, 05:54 PM

No answers, but just wanted to say my DS (ALSO almost 21 months old 10-2-06) does this periodically. However, he has been doing it for.....oh, probably since he was about 8-9 months old, maybe longer. So not really sure what to blame it on, maybe cognitive development is a good thought. Sometimes he will do it a few days in a row, other times it is just once every couple weeks. It is a KILLER though. good luck for tonight being better.
\
Kelly

Kelly, wife to DH, mom to Caden Reese (10-2-06), Tessa Brynn (12-26-08 ), and Maddox Quinn (7-16-11). Fur-mama to Finnegan, Ripley, Raisin (my little kitty amputee) and Kimchi. 748/2011, 2028/2012, 2023/2013, 1256/2014, 353/2015

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page