PLing: to offer or not to offer? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 7 Old 06-25-2008, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
That is the question! I've had DS in training pants (with plenty of accidents) since last Friday. He's semi-good at staying dry and will go in the potty if I take him to the potty. We've had a few puddles on the floor, but now he's starting to tell me "pee-pee" when he starts going and then holds it until we get to the potty to finish...no puddles today

So, my question is...do I offer/take him to the potty, or do I just let him go and let him learn what is going on and make the association between the feeling of having to go and actually going. Make sense?

TIA!

Wife to J, SAHM to W (03/06) ribboncesarean.gif at 32w4d, C (10/08) ribboncesarean.gif, and H (02/11) ribboncesarean.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 06-25-2008, 09:42 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sounds like he already knows what going feels like if he says pee pee when he starts going. Unless I misunderstood what you are asking...

Anyhow, I never ask when my DS shows signs--I just take him. If it is a false alarm, well, we just read a book together in the bathroom, no big deal. But there are fewer and fewer false alarms these days.

I am astoundingly lucky! Mother to my beloved child since 01/06/07. Fighting cancer since 09/06/07.
#3 of 7 Old 06-25-2008, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I guess what I meant is...should I try to prevent him from wetting himself, or just let him do it and eventually learn to go to the potty before he starts to pee?

Wife to J, SAHM to W (03/06) ribboncesarean.gif at 32w4d, C (10/08) ribboncesarean.gif, and H (02/11) ribboncesarean.gif

#4 of 7 Old 06-25-2008, 09:59 PM

I do, but my daughter is only 18 months old. I offer frequently, and sometimes when I get that *itch* in the back of my head I just pick her up and plunk her down on the potty. Usually she will go. If she really doesn't want to, she knows how to let me know!
#5 of 7 Old 06-25-2008, 10:00 PM

I would just ask him if he has to go potty and take him there and help if needed when she shows signs or tells you.
if he fights it or wants to be a 'big boy' then let him do it himself.

Just play it by ear and let him lead the way.

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

#6 of 7 Old 06-25-2008, 11:51 PM

My DS has not been interested in going, so when he says no I don't push him. I figure he will when he's ready.
#7 of 7 Old 06-26-2008, 05:34 AM

I find it helps the most if I just mention the potty and not ask if he has to pee. He's become more intune with his body that way.
I'll say 'ds do you know where your potty is, if you have to use it?' or 'I'm moving your potty over here'
When he hasn't gone for a while and he's distracted with something, I'll ask if he has to pee, or if we are going out I'll ask him to pee before we leave.

The biggest thing that has worked so far is not using training pants or underwear. I was using them and I didn't realize how confused he got from the constricting feel of a diaper vs training pants or underwear. Now he is nakey bum almost all the time if we are at home/grama's/friends house, and if we are out he wears sweat pants or loose shorts with nothing under. if we are driving he wears a diaper and if we are going out for a long time he wears a diaper, and a night too.

Having him nakey butt really just gave me the 'ah ha!' moment, and he almost never has an accident.

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth
Raising 2 peanuts. #3 due in June bellyhair.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page