Black specks in stool - Mothering Forums

#1 of 5 Old 01-27-2010, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi,
I'm not sure if this is the right board to post this on? DS is 5.5 months old. He is partially breastfed and supplemented. I'm a working mom and I pump all day, but my supply has dwindled. He is supplemented with earths best organic formula and has been for over a month now. So, here is how played out. About a week ago DS was spitting up like crazy. I'm mean really bad. He's got reflux and is a spitter anyhow, but this was excessive. Non stop. It started on Friday (the week before last) and by Monday (last week) it was go back to the normal amount for him. He had a couple of crazy large poops last week, so much that his sitter had to bathe him. It was up his back about to this shoulder blades. He started to run a low grade fever, about 99.5 or so. Then on saturday, just this past weekend, I noticed he cut his first tooth. So, I thought that could the the source of all this stuff. On Monday, his sitter called and said he wasn't himself that he was crying when she put him down and didn't nap long, and didn't poop at all. Tuesday he was back to his normal self and he had 2 large poops. The first of which had black specs in it, she said. The second looked normal. He went home, all was fine. Yesterday he had a great day, and then last night he had a HORRIBLE night. I fed him before bed, like usual, but he pulled off and got really fussy, crying, etc. I thought maybe he was just really tired and just wanted to go to sleep. I put him down and he cried alot, which is unusual for him. I went to him and put him to breast and he settled down and got sleepy. I put him back down and he started crying again, then calmed down and went to sleep in about 15 minutes time. About every 30 minutes he'd cry out in his sleep. At 11pm, DH went to give him his dream feed and DS would NOT take it. Not a drip. From 11pm-12am he was REALLY fitful fussy crying out every 10-15 minutes. So, at 12am DH went to him and tried again. This TOTALLY woke DS up and he was very upset and crying. This went on until 3:15am. During which time, I held him, nursed him, checked his temp, gave him mylecon and tylenol (he was passing gas, and I see a second tooth ready to come in), I got him into bed with him and tried to cuddle him, rock him, made sure he wasn't poopy...everything I could think of. At 3am I gave him a bottle. He cried at first, then sucked it down, got very sleepy (of course) and I put him down and he cried a little and then FINALLY slept until this morning. He was in good spirits when I got him up, and had a MAJOR poop again. Up his back to his shoulders. I noticed the black flecks in it again. He is started on rice cereal (1 bowl a day at dinner time for about a month) and I've given him some pureed banana. The last time I did gave him the banana was Sunday, I think. I called the pediatrician and they said it could be a stomach virus and left it at that. Any thoughts??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 01-27-2010, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bananas almost always leave black specks in baby diapers, IME.

Hope he's feeling better soon

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#3 of 5 Old 01-27-2010, 06:49 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia View Post
Bananas almost always leave black specks in baby diapers, IME.

The first time it happened I was horrified and Googled around. It seems to be common. Most people thought it was banana fibers discolored by bile salts;
a couple of people said that banana is irritating to the intestinal lining and the black stuff is sloughed epithelium. That scared me so I backed off on the banana, even though my DD didn't seem to have a problem w/it other than the specks in her poo. IDK if it's really something to worry about though.

Hope your LO feels better soon.

Me, DH, DD1 (2009), DD2 (2011), and DS (2015).
I'm not crunchy. I'm evidence-based.
Vaccines save lives.

#4 of 5 Old 01-27-2010, 10:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks! I'm going to back off the bananas and see what happens. I thought bananas were supposed to be well tolerated. My best friend told me her son breaks out into hives when he has them. Thanks again, ladies!
#5 of 5 Old 10-31-2015, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Black Spots In Stool

The black spots in the stool may be a bi-product of too much vitamin B6. The formula you mention in your paragraph has 21,000% RDA for B6. The RDA for infants is .3% to .5%. The banana you feed the infant is high in B6. There is now a
Facebook page set up for B6 Toxicity. B6 is one of the B vitamins that is not water soluble, is stored in the muscles and is toxic even in lower doses. The black spots, specks in the stool disappear after B6 Toxicity members go on a low B6 diet.

Last edited by RealtorBeth; 10-31-2015 at 12:58 PM.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page