Celebrating a year with a daytime nursing strike! Help! - Mothering Forums

#1 of 2 Old 02-07-2010, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi mamas! We're celebrating a year of nursing here! Nursing to at least a year was a non-negotiable to me, but I'm still pleased to be here because ds was a csection with general anesthesia, was separated from me for more than 4 hours, had a receded chin, had latch difficulties, reflux, etc. We pushed through and here we are!

Ironically, however *on his first birthday* he suddenly stopped wanted to nurse during the day! He'll nurse in the morning and before bed, but really is squirming and pushing away from me trying to nurse him during the day (even though he's asking for it.) It's almost like he's saying, "Mom, come on. I"m *one* now." Ha!

I've never dealt with a strike before. I've tried taking him to his room to nurse in the chair where we nurse at night, tried making things dark and quiet. No dice. What else should I do? I've heard that babies don't wean at one on their own, and weaning doesn't happen suddenly, so I'm pretty sure this is a strike, right? Do I just pump through the day and offer that? Ideas?

Thanks!

Married to my best friend for 9 years. Loving being at home with my busy boy. Praying for a vbac.gif next time around!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 02-07-2010, 03:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You are totally right - sounds like a strike. I would pump to keep up supply, but only offer that milk only in an open cup to avoid giving baby anthing else (but you) to meet his sucking needs.

You could try taking a bath together, or hanging out topless. Often nursing in a new or unusual position can help. Offer often with a 'it doesn't really matter - take it or leave it' kind of attitude.

Any chance he has an ear infection, a cold, is teething or has mouth pain? They can all make it uncomfortable to nurse and bring on a strike.

Good luck, happy birthday to your baby, and CONGRATULATIONS to you for pushing through those initital rough weeks!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page