14 month old - still refusing solids - Mothering Forums

#1 of 10 Old 11-05-2010, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Ladies!
I have a 14 month old who still doesn't want anything to do with table food. Occasionally she'll take a couple bites here or there, once a day at most, but mostly just wants to nurse. She'll spit out a bite of food I put in her mouth and tell me it's "acky". This worries me for two reason. I don't feel like I have a great milk supply for her anymore, I hardly get anything when I pump now. She used to be a super chubby baby, but now with her running everywhere she goes and not eating, she's loosing all that chub really fast! Also she's nursing every 1-2 hours all night long. I think probably she isn't getting enough calories during the day and has to make up for it with all the night nursing, but after 14 months I really want a little sleep. Any advise? Anyone else had a lo not want to eat?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 11-06-2010, 09:21 AM

Me me me!!! He will eat some things, yogurt being his all time favorite thing. He also likes these pouches of pureed foods by Plum Organics and Ella's Kitchen. I'm spending a fortune on those things just to get something into him. He spits out most real solids and prefers to have nee nees. My supply has tanked in the last few months, too, so I just don't think I'm enough. I can get him to drink one cup of kefir per day when he's home with me, and he drinks 16oz of breastmilk/day at daycare. IDK what I'm going to do when my freezer stash is gone cause I'm only able to pump 6-8oz/day now at work.
#3 of 10 Old 11-06-2010, 12:26 PM

has she been allergy tested? kids with lots of allergies or intolerances will sometimes refuse solid food as a way of protecting themselves.

Marissa, Partner to J geek.gif, SAHM to A (05/09)fly-by-nursing1.gif and I (03/11)stork-boy.gif. we cd.gif
selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif part-time and familybed1.gif through infancy. planning ahomebirth.jpg

#4 of 10 Old 11-06-2010, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

Jamie - that is us exactly! She's burning through my freezer stash every day I work, which thankfully is only twice a week. I started trying to pump each day after I put her down for nap hopping it would help build my supply back up and get some more milk in the fridge for her, but it doesn't seem to be helping and I barely get an ounce when I pump then (she's usually just nursed to nap though).

Some days the only thing DD will eat are those little freeze dried yogurt dots from Gerber. I know they're all suger, but I'm thankful to be getting something into her, plus they have active cultures, so I tell myself they're better than nothing!

I haven't had her allergy tested, but I wouldn't be surprised if she had allergies. She was a fussy, unhappy baby from the start and is still really irritable. Maybe that's the solution!
#5 of 10 Old 11-07-2010, 05:48 AM

Right now I'm trying not to stress over it. I'm giving what I know he'll eat and drink and trying to do everything I can to not lose the rest of my supply. I've also started bringing him to my bed when he wakes at night and letting him nurse for an hour or so and hoping that that helps my supply and his nutrition.
#6 of 10 Old 11-07-2010, 10:09 PM

My now 19-mo-old is still not into solids in a big way. I was just pondering this earlier as I gave him a piece of dried mango for the umpteenth time today (and as he has refused all the "real" food we've offered today). Anyway, DS is just a super-light eater and also really picky about textures. Have you figured out if there are certain textures your DD doesn't like? DS hates the feel of "ground" anything. However, there are a few things that he will take fairly reliably that are pretty healthy (cheese, fruit, etc), and I just offer him those if he is having one of his days where he doesn't want any of our table food. It's maddening b/c I worry about his weight gain (or lack thereof) all the time (DS has been in less than 3% his whole life). I am just going with my instinct that if I didn't have breastmilk to give him, he'd be even worse off as he would just take nothing...

as for the pumping--will your DD not take cow's milk (or substitutes), water, or watered-down-juice while at daycare? I stopped pumping when DS was 13 mos old. They just give him the same liquids as the other kids now. DS still reverse cycles, but he has done so since I returned to work at 4 mos pp so I'm just used to it. I feel you on the lack of sleep though!
#7 of 10 Old 11-08-2010, 02:51 PM

My youngest ds will not drink cow's milk, soy milk, almond or rice or coconut milk. He likes mama milk, and just hates everything else. He'll drink a little water and juice but in small quantities.
My oldest was the same, and eventually he started drinking cow's milk at school because...well...the cool kids were doing it? LOL. He still won't drink cow's milk at home, though.
So, I've committed myself to pumping until he's ready to eat more and drink less breastmilk.
#8 of 10 Old 11-10-2010, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter

She used to eat grapes, or watermelon, but now it's hit or miss, some days she refuses them completley.  She used to eat pasta, but now will only eat it with cheese on it, and again, some days refuses that as well.

I haven't offered other milks yet, I've tried juice and water, but can only get a sip here or there into her.  It worries me because most days the diaper I put on her in the morning is still dry or has only been peed in once when I put her to bed at night.  But she doesn't seem dehydrated, she must be getting just enough, but nothing extra?  Her first molars have been coming in the past couple weeks, and I'm wondering if that is making her already light eating even more scarce.

I'm trying not to stress and push her, but just leave snacks available and offer her food at meal times, but it's hard not to worry smile.gif

#9 of 10 Old 11-10-2010, 08:33 PM

My ds will be 3 yo in Jan and still takes few "solids" He eats when we eat but eats very little. He only wants na nas. In fact, he nurses as much and sometimes more than my 8 mo. He is finally starting to ask for food. So, I think there is hope. I haven't worried too much since he does nurse. Right now, I worry about my 8 mo........ LOL

intactivist.gifwinner.jpg fambedsingle2.gif  learning.gif homeschool.gif buddamomimg1.png gd.gif delayedvax.gif selectivevax.gif  supermod.gif (Yeah right)

angel3.gif loss 2/28/03           photosmile2.gif  ds 1/5/08             asl.gif dd 2/8/10

When we know better, we do better. ~Maya Angelou 

#10 of 10 Old 11-10-2010, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyG View Post

She used to eat grapes, or watermelon, but now it's hit or miss, some days she refuses them completley.  She used to eat pasta, but now will only eat it with cheese on it, and again, some days refuses that as well.

I haven't offered other milks yet, I've tried juice and water, but can only get a sip here or there into her.  It worries me because most days the diaper I put on her in the morning is still dry or has only been peed in once when I put her to bed at night.  But she doesn't seem dehydrated, she must be getting just enough, but nothing extra?  Her first molars have been coming in the past couple weeks, and I'm wondering if that is making her already light eating even more scarce.

I'm trying not to stress and push her, but just leave snacks available and offer her food at meal times, but it's hard not to worry smile.gif

not peeing during the day is a bad sign, and I would talk to your pediatrician about that. is she just not liking her cup? would a different style cup, or a bottle entice her to drink more? sips from a grown up water bottle or sharing a glass with you? my DD really likes straws. I would start with getting more fluids into her, because solid food isn't appealing to most people if they are even slightly dehydrated. I would aim for .5-1oz water at a time, a few times a day, and see if it helps. 

Marissa, Partner to J geek.gif, SAHM to A (05/09)fly-by-nursing1.gif and I (03/11)stork-boy.gif. we cd.gif
selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif part-time and familybed1.gif through infancy. planning ahomebirth.jpg

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page