milk drying up and NOT ready to wean! HELP - Mothering Forums

#1 of 7 Old 02-14-2015, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
milk drying up and NOT ready to wean! HELP

My milk is definitely drying up. My two year old is no where near ready to wean nor am I. I lost 12 pounds last month (purposefully) and I am suspect this is the reason. Any advice, knowledge, or tips to help me get my supply back? Please help if you can, I don't want to stop nursing my one and only.

Last edited by gardendweller; 02-14-2015 at 08:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 02-15-2015, 09:14 PM

Mentioned: 350 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
This is a huge question and I can only hit a few high points until you tell us more.

Are you drinking enough fluids? 6-8 glasses per day? (some of your weight loss could also be fluids) Your weight loss otherwise should not affect milk supply unless you are taking certain supplements that are contraindicated for milk supply. However, 12 lbs in one month seems a bit high and it may have taken its toll on your body.

Is your child complaining of not enough milk? Pumping isn't a good measure of your supply, in case you were doing that.

Are you nursing regularly, or taking long breaks between sessions (for example, several days away, then back to nursing)? This could have a minor impact on your supply, but a hungry nurser will encourage the milk to return zoo enough.

A few basic solutions:

Fenugreek capsules + Blessed Thistle capsules, daily (there are recommended amounts that you can find on any respectable website - I may hunt one up for you). Then add "Milkmaid Tea" or something similar that is a combination to increase milk supply. It works for many women, especially in addition to the herbs above.

If the above doesn't help your supply within several weeks (you should notice a difference after about a week or two), then seek out a prescription from you GP for "domperidone" - not every Dr will prescribe it to mothers not nursing infants, but you may have a sympathetic Dr. This will do it for most women.

My first choice would be the added water and the herbs.

Here are some good information sources:

(some of them include a lot of info for mothers of infants, but many of the same concepts apply)

http://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=...tion&Itemid=17

http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supp...es/low-supply/
#3 of 7 Old 03-23-2015, 12:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
you have to make sure that your baby is full so that he requires less nursing. you would stop gradually beacuse it is always good for the baby's health having more solid food.

#4 of 7 Old 03-23-2015, 07:16 PM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiny star View Post
you have to make sure that your baby is full so that he requires less nursing. you would stop gradually beacuse it is always good for the baby's health having more solid food.

Actually, it is still extremely beneficial for children to continue breastfeeding beyond infancy. Increasing solid food and reducing breastfeeds will not help with supply. And replacing breastmilk with solids is *not* healthier.

OP, oats, flax (linseed) meal and brewers yeast are all galactogogues. You could try adding them to your diet. I find it takes 24-48hrs before I notice a difference.

You could also try offering the breast more frequently. The increased stimulation may help give your supply a boost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#5 of 7 Old 04-15-2015, 09:30 PM

Mentioned: 350 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
@gardendweller : Do you have an update on your nursing with your toddler? Interestingly, I had my own unintentional weaning occur not long after we posted. I was very upset and ended up doing a number of weeks straight of Fenugreek + Blessed Thistle and pumping several times a day and/or after nursing. I encouraged my child to nurse even when nothing came out. Once my regular milk came back (not the thick, yellow salty weaning milk), my child was back to regular nursing and I stopped the herbs not long after that.
#6 of 7 Old 04-25-2015, 07:19 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
I know it was a month ago- but even if your supply does dwindle, you can still do dry nursing. I know a few parents kept nursing even after their milk dried up. Encouraging comfort nursing can also help to stimulate your supply.

Two proud daddies and our little monster
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
4/13
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1/15
this is just a moment in time, step aside and let it happen
#7 of 7 Old 04-29-2015, 09:43 AM

Location: The Good Ole Rolling Hills of TN, I'm a Southern Girl! :)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Some Ideas

#1 see a lactation consultant! I did and it helped me immensely!
#2 stop taking any antihistimines or anything that is drying, it will dry milk too.
* #3 start taking Fenugreek, 2 capsules 3x daily...take until your urine and your sweat smells like maple-syrup and your baby's urine smells that way also. You have to take it for several weeks.
# 4 ask doctor for Galactogogues, prescription meds that significantly increases milk supply. I did and it worked! I took Domperidone.
#5 Drink 2 cups of Nettle Tea daily
#6 Pump in between feedings (not only for baby but to help produce more milk...supply and demand)
#7 Drink plenty of fluids!
#8 Keep trying and try not to worry, take care of Mama, and love your baby.

Good luck!

Last edited by ApostolicMama; 04-29-2015 at 09:46 AM.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page