2Likes
  • 1 Post By JamieCatheryn
  • 1 Post By Oceanspray

#1 of 4 Old 05-26-2015, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Weight (of kids) and "extended" breastfeeding

My daughter recently turned 3. She eats 3 meals a day and snacks, eats lots of vegetables, lean protein, etc, gets plenty of physical activity, and also nurses at bedtime and first thing in the morning. Sometimes she nurses once overnight too but the night wakings have really dropped off recently.

She is currently in the 50th percentile for height and the 64th for weight. I am not that concerned about it, but it is interesting because until she was 2 she was typically in the 70-85th percentile for height and the 25-40th for weight. At her 2 year check up she was in the 50th for both.

Pediatrician recommended cutting out unhealthy snacks. While I am certain that there is room for improvement in our household diet (thank goodness the CSA produce abundance is about to begin), I am wondering if other breastfed 3 year olds also have extra weight and how total weaning has affected older kids' weights, if at all.

I keep trying to google this subject and just keep finding articles/info about babies or toddlers younger than 2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 05-28-2015, 05:32 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
The studies show breastfeeding to prevent obesity. It's a perfectly balanced form of nutrition and all those trace good things in there help keep the digestion in perfect order during nursing and for years after weaning. My kids never changed weight trends much after their gradual weaning around 2.5, one was/is a bit large (muscular mostly), another very small, another a bit small, . I've never heard a doctor here comment on a kids' weight unless they were above 90%ile or below 10%ile, otherwise it's mostly normal variations, not all kids have to ride the middle of the curve. If they do get a little heavy, I would say to cut down on any sugar and grains they eat, skip any fruit juice or soda or sweetened milks, and get them outside to play actively.
sidrajedi likes this.
#3 of 4 Old 05-29-2015, 09:44 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
64th percentile and you are trying to change it? You know that that stuff is somewhat arbitrary - meaning it changes based on what country you live in, has change in the past as well. I seriously wouldn't worry about it - at all! Percentile means that you daughter weighs more than 64% of kids her age. She is pretty close to the 50%. Unless there are a lot of sugary snacks, I wouldn't worry about it! You never know, she may suddenly grow and then need that bit of extra weight.

#4 of 4 Old 06-02-2015, 08:18 PM

Mentioned: 350 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
I agree with @Nemi27 . I can't see a problem. It could be natural variation in the child's development, it could be the genetic height/weight becoming more prominent (as in, she is more "average" than she appeared to be before age 2)... it could be that particular month or time of year that she was measured both times.

Did it occur to the Dr that it might be pre-growth spurt when chidden may take on extra weight - it would also explain her apparently shorter height... then when kids have their spurts, they suddenly seem to actually lose weight. It is the growth spurt talking.

I also don't find these charts and measures reliable in any way that would dictate a change in diet or nutrition. If you are already feeding her a healthy diet, and she is getting enough hydration and is active and has energy and is not feeling hungry.... I think everything is fine.

If there are some of the issues above, then it likely has nothing to do with weaning from nursing. I didn't find a change at all over time when the amount of milk reduced during nursing times (over 5 years). The only change at the outset is the first 6 months at times, when babies are mistakenly compared to all babies's charts, where they compare formula-fed babies' weight and percentiles.

Why let the Dr worry you? Is this Dr an expert in dietary development in young children? If, not, I would put zero weight (pun not intended) on the chart that the Dr is relying on.

Let your child be healthy as she is....
Nemi27 likes this.

Last edited by Oceanspray; 06-02-2015 at 08:20 PM.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page