• 2 Post By Oceanspray
  • 2 Post By elliha
  • 2 Post By JamieCatheryn
  • 1 Post By PeachBaby

#1 of 13 Old 08-11-2015, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Should I continue to comfort nurse a 4 yo?

DD had been nursing (before bedtime) up until this spring even though I hardly had any milk. Then it finally dried up, but she still wasn't ready to wean. It's been 4 months and she still asks to nurse. When I ask her why she wants to nurse when there's no more milk, she answers, "It's fun." So I've been letting her. But I'm wondering if there is a huge benefit to letting her continue to comfort nurse, as I'm starting to consider trying to wean her off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 08-14-2015, 11:41 PM

Mentioned: 350 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
If she truly is not getting any milk, then the value is emotional and psychological. But, you may not realise and she may still be getting a little bit. Have you asked her about that? About whether the milk has changed, too? It may be a way to feel close to you and comforted, but it may also be a bit of transitioning before she lets go.

Either way, it all depends on your comfort level with letting her continue. If you are fine with it, I say, why not let her decide when to wean? it will happen naturally over time, anyway. I would just let it be and let her guide me.
Xerxella and shoeg8rl like this.
#3 of 13 Old 08-15-2015, 02:14 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Usually it is very rare to completely dry up if you still have a nursing relationship so she might not get a lot but a mouthful might be well enough both for the immune system and for her liking the taste. I think that if you are OK with comfort nursing that this is totally OK.

#4 of 13 Old 08-15-2015, 01:05 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
I agree with the others in guessing there's a tiny bit of milk left. Do you feel done? If she still asks for it her vote on the matter is clear, but if it's starting to bother you then it's time to redirect her and cuddle and give her a cup of something else. Personally I always felt done before age 3, and at 4 it's certainly nearing the time virtually all moms and children are done, but it's between you and your child.
#5 of 13 Old 08-16-2015, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Okay, thanks for all your input. I had confirmed with DD my suspicions (I had asked her a number of times), so that's how I know my supply has been gone. It's not comfortable for me to nurse anymore, but I guess if there is that emotional aspect to it, and hopefully, DD is nearing the end of her nursing days, I will grit my teeth and try to hang in there until she naturally weans.
#6 of 13 Old 11-22-2015, 12:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Interesting thread.

I am going through the same thing
I also thought no more milk and was dry.

Same thing, wants to be nursed at bed time...night time.

He wants to continue nursing. I have asked him is he is getting any milk and he says yes.

Last edited by CarolS; 11-22-2015 at 11:52 AM.
#7 of 13 Old 12-31-2015, 10:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachBaby View Post
DD had been nursing (before bedtime) up until this spring even though I hardly had any milk. Then it finally dried up, but she still wasn't ready to wean. It's been 4 months and she still asks to nurse. When I ask her why she wants to nurse when there's no more milk, she answers, "It's fun." So I've been letting her. But I'm wondering if there is a huge benefit to letting her continue to comfort nurse, as I'm starting to consider trying to wean her off.
i am a young mom ,we are a naturist family with several boys,,ages 4 to 12,and ,i feel that child led breastfeeding in best ,as all kids are different,and have different emotional needs....sometimes it is not all about weaning when they can survive e without the milk...they may need comfort and closeness,so nursing older kids,yes i do if they so need it,including my 7 yr old twin boys
#8 of 13 Old 01-03-2016, 11:14 PM

@PeachBaby : I wondered how things are going since you posted in August. Do you have an update? Is she still nursing and have you been able to get through the discomfort?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#9 of 13 Old 01-05-2016, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanspray View Post
@PeachBaby : I wondered how things are going since you posted in August. Do you have an update? Is she still nursing and have you been able to get through the discomfort?

Hi Oceanspray, she continued to nurse for a little bit more after my last post but then I did something I know I shouldn't have done. She would ask if she could nurse, and I would pretend not to hear, like I was already sleeping. Even if she asked one or two more times, I wouldn't respond. (However, if she had kept asking 4 or 5 or more times, I was planning to give in and let her nurse, but she would always stop asking after only 2 or 3 times.) So then after a few nights of this, she completely stopped asking to nurse at all for the rest of the year. Four months of freedom from nursing, I thought it was over. I had mixed feelings about it.

Then at the beginning of this year, she suddenly asked to nurse again! I had felt so guilty for what I had done earlier, that even though I don't like to nurse anymore, I was greatly relieved that I had another chance to make it up to her, so I let her. Since then she's been asking to nurse even up until last night, and I always let her. The discomfort is not nearly as bad as the guilt I had felt. And also I really do want to let her nurse, it's only the soreness that makes me cringe. And for some reason now, it's not as uncomfortable this time around.
shoeg8rl likes this.
#10 of 13 Old 01-05-2016, 11:45 PM

Oh @PeachBaby , what a sweet little story.... I know that guilt and it is horrible, gut-wrenching and not worth anything you gain for it. I am happy that nursing doesn't hurt the way it did. Also, perhaps, your child is nursing differently because perhaps she is seeking something slightly different from the relationship? Thanks for letting us know!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#11 of 13 Old 01-07-2016, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

And thanks for asking, Oceanspray! It is turning out nicely!
#12 of 13 Old 01-19-2016, 06:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Should I continue to comfort nurse a 4 yo?

I am glad, Peachbaby, that your problem is solved nicely and by your own disposition. Excellent. I wish you start relactating soon, at least for some time, to the full satisfaction of your DD and yourself.
Uzra
#13 of 13 Old 01-21-2016, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you very much for your kind words, Uzra!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page