Hives and Extended-Breastfeeding Weaning - Mothering Forums

#1 of 2 Old 01-19-2016, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Unhappy Hives and Extended-Breastfeeding Weaning

Hi all! I may be cross posting this because I am in desperate search of some answers.

I have two kids (almost 4 and 1.5). I breastfed my daughter until she was 2.5 with no problems. My son is now 19 months and he dropped his middle of the night feeding 3.5 weeks ago (my daughter never did so while nursing). The first night he slept through the night I woke up in the morning and my breasts, hips, butt and upper thighs were covered in hives. At first, I would not have related this to breastfeeding at all and instead to an allergic reaction- perhaps to our new laundry detergent even though we'd be using it for a month and a half already.

A couple days later, after only using benadryl lotion thinking it was a one time thing, I woke up and went to the E.R. because they were all over my body minus my face. I took prednisone for awhile with benadryl, but now I'm on zyrtec and zantac which seem to hold them off for the most part. I've seen three allergists and skin tests show no new allergies for me, a couple patch test with the laundry detergent shows nothing and I've seen my OB and gotten a work up of blood tests done which all came back normal (my TSH was slightly low, but T3 and T4 were in optimal levels and the doctors weren't concerned- I've made an appointment with an endocrinologist any ways).

Now that I've gone through a bunch of doctors. I'm wondering if it could be related to breastfeeding and/or hormonal imbalances. I have not had my period return for this many consecutive months since before I got pregnant with my daughter in 2011 (in between having my daughter and getting pregnant with my son, I only had it twice with extended breastfeeding. This time I'm going on 7 months). My husband and I started having unprotected sex in November, not preventing but not necessarily trying to get pregnant, as we do want another child this year. I began to start feeling more anxious after this and At the end of November my was 2 weeks late from where it had been the past 5 months (no pregnancy though). In December I began feeling stressed by a few things and then on the 27th the hives showed up.

Anyways... sorry for the long post, but I wanted to share the whole story. Any thoughts, ideas, experiences? I really want to see a naturopath or homeopathic doctor, but can't afford the out of pocket costs at the moment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 01-19-2016, 09:27 PM

Mentioned: 350 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
The one thing I know about hives is that it is very hard to figure out what has caused them, aside from obvious signs (which you have excluded very thoroughly). I had something similar, short term occur not long ago (but not on me), and I wracked my brain to associate it with something specific. In the end, I could not. The hives luckily went away after a couple of days, but I never found out what it was.

I have never heard of something like that being associated with breastfeeding or hormones (not that it couldn't happen). However, from what you describe, I would hazard a guess that your body was stressed and it was a breaking point that your body was exposed to that lead to the outbreak. You mentioned being stressed beforehand. You don't need a specific trigger, but the tiny bit of stress caused by the full night without nursing could have been a trigger. Or, it could have nothing to do with it. Or, somewhere in the middle, it could have been a minor stress on your body, on top of all the other stress, that lead to the outbreak.

In my gut I don't feel it is hormone-related and that it is stress related. Has it abated at all? Have you tried to de-stress (which of course is hard, because being stressed about the hives doesn't help them go away if that is the cause...)? Could there just be a heck of a lot on your mind affecting your body... including ttc a third child?

These are all just ideas, but since I know the feeling (I have also had hives in the past, once I suspected what caused them, once I never found out), I thought the ideas might help.

How about exercise, fresh air, and distraction? Have you tried to incorporate this?

I hope it gets better and slowly goes away. I hope your stress also ebbs away with time.

ETA: stress and hormones affect one another, too, and so it occurred to me that it could be both interacting.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
extended-breastfeeding , hives , hormone imbalance

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page