Toddler (23 months) nursing 2-4 times in the night...help? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 5 Old 03-06-2016, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Question Toddler (23 months) nursing 2-4 times in the night...help?

My little girlie has always nursed several times per night, but now that she's almost 2, I'm feeling increasingly less charitable about her dream feeding. My back is killing me, and my sleep-deprivation is causing noticeable problems at work.

Does anyone have any positive experiences with getting their toddler to nurse less frequently in the night?

So...I'm 43 and pregnant with #3 - how'd that happen?  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 03-08-2016, 04:20 PM

Mentioned: 173 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
I did slowly night wean #1 @ 2ish. It was not easy. I told him all day no milk after we go to bed. Then tried to stick with it.

I wish that I could be more help.
#3 of 5 Old 03-08-2016, 11:07 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I also night weaned my dd around 2. She wanted to lay on me and nurse all night and my back was starting to hurt. It took 3 really bad nights of just saying no. I told her the first day that we weren't going to nurse after the sun went down, she woke up quite a bit that night, tantrumed a lot, full blown arched back and kicking and screaming. Night 2 was about half as bad. Night 3 she woke once and went back to sleep. I did have her snuggle her special stuffie and have a few sips of water when she woke up and I tried to talk as gently and as understanding as I could while she was upset. The rule was when the sun went down no more milk, but she could have some when the sun came up again, so I usully woke up to her nursing.

#4 of 5 Old 03-11-2016, 09:19 PM

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
No positive experiences to share, but I'm in the same boat so I'll follow along (if any more replies).
We seem to be doing it backwards, DD1 is just over 18 months and in the last month has daytime weaned but still nurses once a night plus two more times of just comfort sucking for a few minutes. It's going to have to stop soon though as my lack of sleep (even with bringing her in our bed once she wakes the first time) is starting to affect our days.

Not that I like bribing, but really thinking of getting her a new stuffed animal for nighttime and putting her sippy cup of water on her mattress.
#5 of 5 Old 04-18-2016, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks, ladies. I guess I'll give this night weaning business some effort once school lets out in 5 more weeks - I'll be prepared to deal with the drama once work is over for the summer. This is my 3rd baby, but my longest nurser, so I'm in uncharted territory at this point. roll

H.

So...I'm 43 and pregnant with #3 - how'd that happen?  

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page