rapid weight loss and nursing a 19 months old - Mothering Forums

#1 of 5 Old 03-31-2016, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
rapid weight loss and nursing a 19 months old

Hi ladies.

I am nursing my 17 month old dd. I plan to let her wean when ready, probably in another 2-3 years (like I did with her brothers).
I have been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, in part caused by my important obesity. I started diabetes medication 1 year ago, but I am not tolerating it well.

the best option for my diabetes control and my health in general would be to lose a significant amount of weight. I have been accepted to a special bariaric program in our hospital, and I will not do surgery, but go with the ''medical'' treatement. It consistes of 12 weeks of not really eating (drinking protein+vitamin stuff), seeing a diatician, physician and psychologist + personal trainer and then restarting eating. I would start in 2 monts, my baby will be 19 months then.
I have tried less drastic ',diets'', like weight watchers ect...but it doesn't work for me. I also tried healthier eating, journaling, more exrcise, but it doesn,t work. I really believe that a more drastic approach would work for my personnality.

My question: how would it affect breastfeeding?
right now, my baby gets probably half of her calories and nutrition from me. in the last month, she has increased her solid intake a lot, so I expect her to have even more solids in 2 months.
with very low calory diet, my milk procuction might be affected, and the quality will decrease (less good fats). I just hope that she will not wean prematurely...

should I wait longer before starting the program?

Last edited by lilitchka; 03-31-2016 at 11:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 03-31-2016, 03:09 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Oh Mama! Hugs!

Please be gentle with yourself. Of course you should start as soon as your medical team want you to. Nursing at this age (I'm on my 3rd 19 month old nurseling) is so much more about the connection between mother and child then it is about nutrition. Of course there is still lots of great nutrition in your milk, our Dr's requested we continue to nurse our oldest when she was little as she had such a limited diet due to allergies at the time, however it's not their main nutrition source.

At this point in time, your health is super important and needs to be taken care of first. If you and your daughter still want a nursing relationship then this shouldn't stop it. She could decide to wean herself over it yes. She could also decide to wean herself in 2 weeks or 2 months for her own reasons. Many toddlers will still dry nurse as well.

I'm sure if she could talk and understand the situation, she would tell you that your health is so much more important that her nursing is. Especially if it helps you live more fully as a mother and longer too

Child Passenger Safety Educator and Mom to three amazing daughters!!

Come check out MDC's
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#3 of 5 Old 04-01-2016, 05:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
thank you so much!
it gives me a different perspective! I feel less stressed about it.
having breastfed 2 kids through pregnancy, I remember that they nurse regardless of milk change in taste or supply and dry nurse as well.

She just seems so young to me, her 4y.o brother was still nursing 2 months ago!
I am sure she will not wean because of it though....hope so.

#4 of 5 Old 04-01-2016, 09:37 PM

Mentioned: 350 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
I don't know if your special diet requirements might prohibit it, but even if you lost some supply (or lost it completely), you can build it up again or relactate quite easily (for most women), by taking herbs together like fenugreek and blessed thistle. Most women tolerate them very well, but you will have to try it to see if you have never taken them. You should see results in a matter of a few days or a week at most. Perhaps that option will allay your fears a bit (which I completely understand, having so valued my breastfeeding relationship). The key is to nurse/pump often - frequency over volume (even if you get nothing at first), and use your daughter as the best "pump" there is whenever she is willing. That with the herbs should get you back (or almost back) to where you were when you began the diet change.

#5 of 5 Old Yesterday, 07:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
If you want to lose some weight you have just to take a strong diet and in this case you'll be losing kgs step by step in a health way for you. Don't take anything pills that are burning fat. You have also to do actively sport every day in a CrossFit zone and preferably with a personal trainer. You can read also this review on some pills that I'm taking while I'm doing a hardcore gym. This supplement helps my metabolism to work properly and I need it so much while I'm doing sport. It is very necessary for all organisms.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page