weaning - Mothering Forums

#1 of 10 Old 03-22-2006, 12:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
hi, i am new to this forum, so i don't know what all the abbreviations stand for and everything, but i thought it would be a good place to ask about my current dilemma... I have a two and a half year old daughter, Amara, who is still nursing on demand (not at night anymore though) and I am now 6 week pregnant... I have thought hard about tandem nursing, but I was so worn out from nursing Amara all day and night when she was a baby that I have a strong feeling that tandem nursing would not work well for me... however, I am really sad about having to wean Amara, and am wondering how to do it, how much time I should do it in so that she's not too jealous when the new baby comes, and what kind of things might replace that special time we have together... any ideas or suggestions are very welcome. thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 03-22-2006, 12:50 AM

This question would be best asked in the "Breastfeeding beyond infancy" forum.
#3 of 10 Old 03-22-2006, 12:54 AM

I moved this to the breastfeeding beyond infancy forum.

My Amara also weaned during my pregnancy with some gentle encouragement from me. I did actually regret it later. I think it would have helped her with the adjustment and it would have been nice while I was engorged.
Having weaned a toddler I'm more for CLW than I ever was before.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?

#4 of 10 Old 03-22-2006, 01:12 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wanted to say that nursing my dd was SO very hard in the beginning (she is now almost 3) but with my 2nd, I was pleasantly surprised by how much more smoothly it has gone.

My dd was 2 when I became pregnant and she did decrease her nursing dramtically as i entered my 2nd trimester. My supply took a huge dip and she did it without any encouraging from me.

good luck with your decision and congrats on your pregnancy!
#5 of 10 Old 03-22-2006, 06:26 AM

rofl for a minute there i thought i'd told someone to post in the forum they'd posted in.
i need to go to bed.
#6 of 10 Old 03-22-2006, 11:45 AM

My advice is to do weaning on a timetable that makes sense to you and your child. Try to think about when she nurses and decide which ones are most important to her and which are least. Focus on cutting out the ones that are least important first, and be sure to have snacks available at those times instead- a snack and a book while cuddling in mom's lap will sometimes work instead. I would work on gradually cutting all those no real reason to nurse times from your day for at least a month, possibly more. If your dc nurses to sleep those will be difficult to remove, so be sure to leave them for last, and you can just gradually decrease how long you let her nurse during those sessions, until they only last 30 seconds, and then on night it will dissappear. You can plan to just make it shorter by 1 minute each night, for example. Do not try to do it all at once, plan for this to take months if you are going to be gentle about it.

Good for you for nursing past 2! That is great! And congratulations on your pregnancy.

Laura, Mama to Mya 7/02, Ian 6/07 and Anna 8/09
#7 of 10 Old 03-22-2006, 12:11 PM

https://www.mothering.com/discussions...hlight=weaning

Here's the link. I will also add that when dd asked to nurse a few times after she was down to not really nurseing (hadn't nursed in a day or 2), I told her my milk had dried up and there wasn't any milk anymore. It was sad, but she handled it well.

And Congratulations for nursing so long!

Laura, Mama to Mya 7/02, Ian 6/07 and Anna 8/09
#8 of 10 Old 03-25-2006, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

i know it's been a few days since i posted the message, i am not often on the computer... but thanks for all the suggestions. I am not sure it will be difficult in the sense that she doesn't nurse at regular times during the day anyway. the biggest challenge is getting over my sadness of having to wean her so that i can actually do it and not cave when she cuddles up to me. i guess that sounds like i am not ready, and i am not in many ways, except that i don't think i can tandem nurse.... thanks for all the support.
#9 of 10 Old 03-25-2006, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilyrose
i know it's been a few days since i posted the message, i am not often on the computer... but thanks for all the suggestions. I am not sure it will be difficult in the sense that she doesn't nurse at regular times during the day anyway. the biggest challenge is getting over my sadness of having to wean her so that i can actually do it and not cave when she cuddles up to me. i guess that sounds like i am not ready, and i am not in many ways, except that i don't think i can tandem nurse.... thanks for all the support.
If your main concern is tandem nursing, I would honestly put any stress about weaning out of my mind for now. 6 weeks is REALLY early and many kids cut back a lot naturally during pregnancy. I would wait at least another 6-12 weeks before you try to do anything--- you might find out that you don't have to!

Congrats on your pregnancy!

#10 of 10 Old 03-26-2006, 11:47 PM

Quote:
If your main concern is tandem nursing, I would honestly put any stress about weaning out of my mind for now. 6 weeks is REALLY early and many kids cut back a lot naturally during pregnancy. I would wait at least another 6-12 weeks before you try to do anything--- you might find out that you don't have to!
Ditto this.

I am currently 16 weeks pg, but I could have written your original post when I was 6 weeks pg. I didn't really have a plan to wean my dd (who is also 2), but I also had major concerns about tandem nursing. Luckily, her nursing sessions have dwindled along with my supply to about once or twice a day. But one day a week ago I told her I didn't want to nurse because it was hurting me. She took it so well, I sort of stuck with it and we haven't nursed since. I'm feeling very mixed about it, but I guess I shouldn't complain. It felt very natural. I hope you have the same luck in a couple of months.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page