Will I lose my milk? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 5 Old 07-31-2007, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I feel like I need to boost C's weight. She is gaining almost nothing and it concerns me.

So, I was thinking about offering some goat's milk along with meals. She doesn't drink much, just a few sips, and of course I'd continue to nurse as usual.

I feel like my supply may be dropping and that is why she isn't gaining weight. Twice this week, a few minutes after latching on, she's looked up at me and said "None!"

She is pretty much dependent on breastmilk for her nutrition as she eats little to no solids (although I do offer them, in both puree and finger-food form.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 08-01-2007, 12:04 AM

I am not really sure what would happen. My DD eats a fair amount of solids and drinks a couple ounces of water every day. She nurses at nap, bedtime, a couple times at night and in the morning when waking up. I think my supply is pretty good (I think that is mainly because of the night feedings).

I do know that it is normal for growth to be slowing down at this point... they grow a lot less in the second year so maybe it is normal.

You could try to offer a few more foods like avocado and things like that... maybe a smoothie with that and goats milk and fruit?

Hope that helps some!

Jcregan, Mom to DD 4yo. DS born 3/10/2011.winner.jpg  waterbirth.jpg   and trying cd.gif  for the first time.
#3 of 5 Old 08-01-2007, 12:42 AM

How many times a day is she nursing? What kinds of solids is she eating, in what amounts? What does she weigh now?

Dd didn't gain anything between about 9 months and 22 months and she was fine.

-Angela

#4 of 5 Old 08-01-2007, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
How many times a day is she nursing? What kinds of solids is she eating, in what amounts? What does she weigh now?

Dd didn't gain anything between about 9 months and 22 months and she was fine.

-Angela
She nurses about 5 times a day: morning, before first nap, before second nap, bedtime and once (sometimes twice) at night. She associates nursing with sleep and has been refusing the breast at any other times during the day. She only nurses for a couple of minutes until she falls asleep, and I really feel she's not getting enough. I believe my supply is dropping too.

She has very little interst in solids, whether in puree or finger-food form. She does seem to prefer the finger food, but chokes all the time, so I can't give her anything unless it's cut up in teeny, tiny bits. She'll eat about a total of two ounces of solids a day (guessing).

She's been stuck at 20 pounds for the last 2 months, although it's creeping up slowly. She's very active. This is down from the 95th percentile at 4 months. She used to be so much bigger than her peers, and now they are all catching up.

She is following a curve on the WHO breastfed chart, but it seems to be leveling a little.

I'm just worried that her lack of nursing is causing my supply to drop. I don't know how to get her to nurse more, and her lack of interest in solids concerns me.
#5 of 5 Old 08-01-2007, 02:46 PM

I would encourage nursing often. Offer numerous times a day in new places and fun positions. Don't make her lay down to nurse.

Don't spoon feed. Dd was at least 18 months before she ate 2 oz of solids in a day.

They will eat what they need.

-Angela

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page