toddler vomits after morning nurse - Mothering Forums

#1 of 8 Old 07-31-2007, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 19 month old is vomiting after his morning nurse. He has done this frequently this month (he has vomitted 4 out of the past 5 morning). We did slowly night wean with my husband sleeping with him and hold him and now he goes the whole night without nursing (please don't torch me for this I was exhausted and starting to hate nursing b/c he was nursing every hour at night. . . he still has frequent access during the day and I enjoy bf again). He seems fine during the day and does not act sick and does not have a fever. This morning I just gave him one side and he still vomitted a small amount. Any idea why this is happening? Should I be concerned? It is only occuring with the morning nurse. Thanks in advance. Kamie

Mommy to DS (12-05) DD (9-10) wife to DH :
(2/05, 6/06, 6/08, 9/08 ) Due 5/11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 08-01-2007, 11:03 AM

Huh. Does he have reflux? My kids would vomit more often after going a long time with nothing in their bellies. Empty bellies make for increased reflux symptoms.

If he's not seeming in pain, I wouldn't sweat it. I don't judge you for nightweaning. Better to do that than to trash your whole nursing relationship. But if he's struggling and refluxing, you might find a way to get *something* into his tummy during the night, even if it's not breastmilk.
#3 of 8 Old 08-02-2007, 01:06 AM

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Our son just had a weird bug that manifested as puking after morning nursies four days in a row, a little bit less of an appetite, and funky poop. No fever or anything else. Not a big deal, just strange. Our son is nightweened also. Maybe the acid-stomach of the over night fast facilitates the puking.

Midwife, Mama

#4 of 8 Old 08-02-2007, 01:08 AM

Could it be that he's gorging himself since you have a full night's worth of milk in there? Maybe you could try slowing him down, like taking a little break between breasts, and see if that helps.

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)
#5 of 8 Old 08-02-2007, 02:06 PM

I wanted to respond because I have gone through something similar with my DD. She did this always in the morning usually as I was preparing lunch. It started for her as soon as my milk came back in with the birth of my DS. I had big oversupply issues and I think that maybe she was gorging herself. It was almost always purely BM just like a new babies spit up and she never seemed sick or upsett by it. I did take her to the doctors and he suggested reflux and prescribed meds that she never took. My supply has now finally regualted ( after 9 mos.) and she has not done it in a while. I think that too much milk in her belly was the problem. She was drinking alot and put on 15 lbs in the 8 months after DS was born. I still find if she drinks alot of milk (ie she hasn't nursed her side and it is engorged) she says that her belly doesn't feel well. As long as he is happy I wouldn't worry too much personally.
Hope this helps.
Krista

Mommy to Petunia 11/04 Bug 10/06 Button 11/09 and  Sweetie pea 12/11 DW to J :

#6 of 8 Old 08-02-2007, 02:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Sounds like it could be food allergies. My DD was doing this. It didn't necessarily coincide with bf'ing (and she wasn't nightweaned), but once every day or two she would just throw up out of the blue. I knew it wasn't a stomach bug because she would be fine afterward and with a bug she tends to have her little system shut down and vomit repeatedly if anything is introduced to her afterward. In this case, afterward she'd be fine. I had the allergy blood tests done, and it came up as peanut, egg, and codfish were allergens. We eliminated them (egg in particular seems to have been the trigger, which we know because of a few goofs when I was still learning what does and does not have egg, and prior to the testing they were a staple in DD's diet), the vomiting stopped, as did the runny nose.

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#7 of 8 Old 08-02-2007, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for your replys and experiences. I have often wondered about reflux or food allergies. He does seem sensitive to dairy and we have eliminated that from his diet. As for reflux. . . he was a very spitty newborn and has never been a good sleeper so I have wondered if he refluxes a bit. Today and yesterday I did not nurse him in bed in the morning and he has not vomitted so it seems to be related to him laying down. I have wondered if it was over supply. How long after you night wean does it take for your supply to decrease?? He has not nursed at night in a few weeks. Thanks Kelly

Mommy to DS (12-05) DD (9-10) wife to DH :
(2/05, 6/06, 6/08, 9/08 ) Due 5/11
#8 of 8 Old 06-04-2017, 04:33 PM

Toddler magic tea contains Peppermint, Chamomile, Rooibos, Fennel, Licorice Root. All these ingredients are good for digestion and common cold in babies and toddlers. My baby caught with cold and was having indigestion and this tea was lifesaver for us.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page