Exclusively breastfeeding at 18 months!! - Mothering Forums

#1 of 22 Old 03-02-2008, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My daughter turned 18 months old on February 19th, and needless to say, she still hasn't started solid foods! We had her "check up" and she was in the 73rd percentile for weight and height and her iron was absolutely perfect! No supplements here! I'm not sure when this little one is going to start eating No one seems worried at this point since she's doing so well. We do offer solids..oh 20+ times a day Any one else have a (very) late starter?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 22 Old 03-03-2008, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiLilith View Post
My daughter turned 18 months old on February 19th, and needless to say, she still hasn't started solid foods! We had her "check up" and she was in the 73rd percentile for weight and height and her iron was absolutely perfect! No supplements here! I'm not sure when this little one is going to start eating No one seems worried at this point since she's doing so well. We do offer solids..oh 20+ times a day Any one else have a (very) late starter?
Wow! Thats really great! Good for you

I have never heard of an exclusively breastfed 18mo old before. Thats really amazing!

Keep up the great work!
#3 of 22 Old 03-03-2008, 10:46 AM

My almost 20mo eats very little solid foods. He does eat them, but I would say that about 98% of his nutrition is from breastmilk. We recently switched doctors because our last ped insisted that I wean him cold turkey and said that breastfeeding after 12m of age was "exclusively for comfort" and that ds would get rickets and stop growing and fall off his curve and on and on (I nursed dd until she weaned at age 4). Our current doctor (a family physician) isn't at all concerned because he's developmentally on track (ahead if anything), is healthy, and when he does deign to venture into the world of solids, doesn't have any issues with the textures of foods he'll eat. Solids just don't hold his interest it seems. Over the course of day, he can have a bite of a cracker, a bite of an egg, a few spoons of yogurt, drink some water out of a cup, and that's pretty much it. Or he can go for days with just nursing and not bother with solids at all. He DOES go ga-ga over blueberries though. He will polish off a pint of blueberries in no time flat. He runs, climbs, plays, sings, dances, and just yesterday he started saying "Me go poppy!" when he needs to have his diaper changed.

#4 of 22 Old 03-04-2008, 10:25 AM

My down-stairs neighbor's DD didn't want to eat anything. They tried everything and she just didn't want anything but the boob. Then somewhere between 1 1/2 and 2 (don't recall exactly) the grandmother offered prosciutto and that the child ate. (Prosciutto is kind of a staple here, but usually not offered as a first food.)

My DD, on the other hand, will eat happily anything, but still loves to nurse too.

We're all such different beings, aren't we?

-- Miss 1928 -- and Opera Singing Mamma to Eloisa -- 12 Feb 2007
-- Wife to a Wonderful Husband and Pianist -- 27 March 2003
#5 of 22 Old 03-04-2008, 03:24 PM

This post made me laugh because I think I'm in denial that my 19 month old DS is pretty much exclusively breastfed. I like to think that he's eating a good amount of solids, but if he had it his way, he'd nurse every hour (or more!). He might eat a few frozen blueberries and a bite of oatmeal in the morning, and maybe a little hummus/bean dip and rice for lunch and dinner, but a good majority of his calories are definitely coming from mama milk. My doctor is giving me some trouble about it, but I like her enough (and there aren't many good choices where I live) that I try to let that part go. He's clocking in at around 25 lbs. and is pretty active. I look at him and am amazed that my milk created such a healthy, happy, glowing, chubby boy. Though I'm still working on letting go the extraneous chatter from family and friends about urging him to eat more solids. When they ask when he will be weaned, I simply say..."oh when he's about 15!"
#6 of 22 Old 03-04-2008, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YummyYarnAddict View Post
We recently switched doctors because our last ped insisted that I wean him cold turkey and said that breastfeeding after 12m of age was "exclusively for comfort" and that ds would get rickets and stop growing and fall off his curve and on and on (I nursed dd until she weaned at age 4).
Wow, what BS . I'm glad you switched doctors.

To the OP, I think that's amazing . All the best to you my dear!
#7 of 22 Old 03-05-2008, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My daughter is 24 months (in less than a week!) and was very "late" with the solids, too. I honestly cannot remember when she really started eating them, though. I know we did self-feeding, and first started offering shortly after 6 months. Not interested. It was probably 98% breastmilk until after 18 months. Now, we are probably 50% on solids.

She has always been "small". Never made it above the 50th percentile.
#8 of 22 Old 03-05-2008, 12:18 PM

My brother wouldnt eat as much as a cracker until her was just about 2. Mom Nursed and nursed and nursed. it wasnt until she started loosing her supply from being pregnant with me that he startd eating solids. (We are 2 years and 9 months apart exactly)

Im a broc1.giflovinghippie.giffly-by-nursing2.gifcd.gif  novaxnocirc.gif
#9 of 22 Old 03-05-2008, 04:32 PM

Yep, my now 4 year old was exclusively breastfed until 18 months. He had no interest in food at all, even when he did start eating food it wasn't very much. It wasn't until he weaned at 2 1/2 that he started eating small meals.

Sarah: momma to 3 
#10 of 22 Old 03-05-2008, 06:03 PM

My 18 month old eats less than a tablespoon of solids a day. But she's thriving and gaining weight! I'm so glad to see this thread and know that I'm not alone.
#11 of 22 Old 03-06-2008, 02:05 PM

Wow!! Amazing job!!

The longest I made it was 10 months... and I admire and applaud you!!
#12 of 22 Old 03-06-2008, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiLilith View Post
We EBF till about 15 months. She's been dabbling with solids on and off since about 12 months, but nothing substantial just a nibble here and there. Now at 18 months she's really taken off, within the last week she's on 3 table food meals a day.
Good job mama!
#13 of 22 Old 03-06-2008, 05:34 PM

I was getting worried with my almost one year who I've been trying to start solids on the past few weeks but he just doesn't seem to interested! Now I don't feel so bad, he just likes his mama's boobs too much!
#14 of 22 Old 03-06-2008, 09:44 PM

We are at almost 16 months and my daughter is probably 99% EBF. It wasn't really planned that way, it's just how she is. If her older brother is eating, she may pick at some food, but hardly anything gets down. She is about 26 lbs. and doing great so I don't plan on changing a thing!
#15 of 22 Old 03-07-2008, 12:42 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
So glad to hear this...I was just starting to worry a little. My 15 month old is still getting about 95% of his nutrition from Breastmilk...i offer him food whenever we eat but he just doesn't eat too much. although he really likes tofu and garlic bread!

thanks for sharing!
#16 of 22 Old 03-07-2008, 01:08 AM

One of my old co-workers (that is not a mom yet) cheered me on with BFing, and told the staff a story of her mom needing help to retain weight bc she was EBF until she was 5. She said that the docs told her mom to introduce fruit first, and that all that she would eat was grapes. The docs then urged her mom to let her just eat grapes, because her mom was beginning to get sick from supplying her so much breastmilk.

I don't know if I am missing any part of the story, because she shared this story over 2 years ago before DS was even conceived.

DS is 21 months old now, no longer EBFed, but still BFing.

(lately I have weaved off topics in my post, probably bc I post right before bed time, so I apologize in advance)

Anywho, I think that it is awesome that your babe is doing great, and it is encouraging to hear.
#17 of 22 Old 03-07-2008, 05:44 AM

My DS1 (now 4.5 years old) didn't eat solids until 18 - 19 months old. If he did manage to eat something especially tempting like a banana, then he would be constipated for days (like 5). Once he was 18 - 19 months old, he started eating. And, he eats really well now. I mean, oatmeal, beans, rice. Nary a chicken nugget has touched the boys mouth.

The month after he started eating I learned about "Mothering Your Nursing Toddler" where I found that holdin off is common for kids who have allergies in their gene pool. Gluten allergy is very common in our family.

Anyway, DS2 eats a lot. I was so shocked and surprised to experience a baby who opens his mouth like a baby bird for food. And who cries until I feed him at predictable times.

Just goes to show you that baby knows best!!

Homeschooling

Roland 08/03
Oscar 05/07

http://pnwlifelearning.blogspot.com/

#18 of 22 Old 04-23-2016, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sg784 View Post
My brother wouldnt eat as much as a cracker until her was just about 2. Mom Nursed and nursed and nursed. it wasnt until she started loosing her supply from being pregnant with me that he startd eating solids. (We are 2 years and 9 months apart exactly)
Wow, I'd love to know how your brother ranked in development and on growth charts?
#19 of 22 Old 04-23-2016, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalls181 View Post
My daughter is 24 months (in less than a week!) and was very "late" with the solids, too. I honestly cannot remember when she really started eating them, though. I know we did self-feeding, and first started offering shortly after 6 months. Not interested. It was probably 98% breastmilk until after 18 months. Now, we are probably 50% on solids.

She has always been "small". Never made it above the 50th percentile.
What was her weight? What did your physician say about it? Was there any concern about her being underweight?
#20 of 22 Old 04-23-2016, 10:58 PM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
My daughter didn't eat any solids at all until 14 months and was still probably 90% breastfed at age two. I don't remember her exact percentiles but she generally wore the clothing sizes corresponding to her age, so pretty average. Met all her milestones on track or earlier. She's 14 now and eats real food. She's on the small side at 5'1" and size 4 (and not likely to grow more), but there are some pretty short people in my family tree.

Single WAH mama to a fourteen-year-old girl.
#21 of 22 Old 03-21-2017, 10:59 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
My youngest (now 12) refused to even let solids near his mouth until after his second birthday. His first pediatrician kept telling me he was anemic, but after we moved when he was 18 months old, his new ped. tested him and said he was totally fine. I finally weaned him after he turned 4. He "twiddled" and I just couldn't stand it any more.

Missing the old MDC!!
Remember when there would be 20 new comments a minute in TAO?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#22 of 22 Old 05-30-2017, 12:26 PM

That's amazing! My 14 month old has had very little food but he's grabby and loves the bits he gets. He had his first tastes at about 12m and I was happy with getting that far. With older siblings it was hard to keep him away from food.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page