Trundle beds? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 8 Old 01-28-2010, 12:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Has anyone here used a trundle for everyday use? Does the kid using the trundle feel like they don't have a real bed? Is it comfortable for everyday use? Does the kid in the "regular" bed end up stepping on trundlekid's face if they have to get out of bed?

I had a trundle growing up, but it was only for sleepovers. However tiny house + lots of kids = need for space saving solutions.

Thanks!

ETA: Also, does a trundle require special sheets and blankets?

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows--
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 01-28-2010, 01:49 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Our trundle is a metal frame that raises and lowers with safety stops. It holds a regular twin mattress. When it is up, it looks and feels just like a regular twin bed. When it is tucked away, you'd never know it was there.

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#3 of 8 Old 01-28-2010, 02:36 PM

It depends on the trundle. This is the set I'm lusting after:

http://www.pacificrimwoodworking.com/four_in_one.aspx

It uses two regular twins, and has little removable extenders for the top bed frame that allow this.

#4 of 8 Old 01-28-2010, 02:39 PM

Growing up my sister and I had a trundle bed for a few years when we shared a room. She always had the trundle as she was 4 years younger and never minded. She loved it because all she had to do was pull up her sheets and blankets and push her bed in in the morning. It was a standard twin mattress and the frame did not raise up. From what I remember she was on the trundle from when she was three to around eight.

CPST, LLL and Mom to a 9yr old animal lovin' girl, 6yr old wild man,  4 yr old cuddle bug and 1 year old "little brother."

Now we are growing the family with chickens, ducks, and dairy goats.

#5 of 8 Old 02-06-2010, 06:54 PM

We live in a small house too and love the trundle bed. My boys share a room in bunk beds, then we have a pull out trundle (looks ikea-ish) that pulls out from underneath the bottom bunk for bedtime. We have carpeting in that room so we took the casters off as they were USELESS on carpeting and replaced the regular twin matress with an Obasan matress. It's much lighter and easier to pull out. The kids all prefer the trundle, idk why, but we had to make a turn chart to cut down on the fighting

I had dh remove the handles that came with it (kids were always stubbing their toes or stepping on them and getting hurt) and replaced it with rope handles that tuck down the side. The new handles are easier for the kids to pull out too.
#6 of 8 Old 02-06-2010, 07:18 PM

We have a trundle that will go in the girls' room once the room is done. But we used the trundle bed for years as the guest bed and it's comfy. Ours has a twin "top" and a regular sized "twin" bottom (normal mattress and sheets). The bottom slides out and can either be used like that (which is how dd2 likes it since if she falls out it's only a few inches) or it can pop up and lock into regular bed height (which is how we used it in the guest room). I know some trundles are attached to the top bed and just pull out like a drawer, but ours is essentially a free rolling bed so there's no "stepping on" the child in the trundle... we just roll it further out.

mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#7 of 8 Old 02-08-2010, 06:05 AM

we love ours

#8 of 8 Old 02-08-2010, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigteamug View Post
It depends on the trundle. This is the set I'm lusting after:

http://www.pacificrimwoodworking.com/four_in_one.aspx

It uses two regular twins, and has little removable extenders for the top bed frame that allow this.
Wow. Thanks for that link. I think I'm in love.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page