BEFORE/AFTER PICS ADDED! Fixed! House pics! What color would you paint these rooms? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 33 Old 02-03-2006, 03:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We've done some painting, here are before/after pictures:
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...=8CasWLhyzcsUA

I'm still getting used to the bedroom being that blue color, I love it sometimes and hate it sometimes,lol. I *loved* how bright and airy it was before, but it was boring to me, and the blue is much more soothing to sleep in.

Our house is still standard new house cream/white and we're really wanting to get some color on the walls. We like simple furnishings (light wood, light colored curtains-except my dining room has pretty bright striped silky curtains!) and we want to get the walls some color. And my rug in the living room has a lot of color. We have some ideas, but I thought I'd get some fresh input as dh & I are having a hard time deciding on some colors. So here's a slideshow of pics. I took tonight of the rooms we want to paint! The entry/living/hallway/dining I'm thinking will all need to be the same color since they flow together and I don't know how in the world I'd "cut up" the rooms into different paint colors without it looking weird! So if this were your house, what color would you paint these rooms....

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...yzcsT-&notag=1

eta...the little pieces of paper you see on stuff are labels with the Spanish name of the item on it, we're learning Spanish here.

eta again...imagine the carpet is beautiful venetian walnut wood laminate flooring,lol. And tile in the bathroom instead of vinyl. We plan on doing that in the next few years.

~Rose~ 

Homeschooling Mom to Two Boys, 13 & 9. rainbow1284.gif Baby Girl Arriving April 2013!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 33 Old 02-03-2006, 03:40 AM

i was really afraid of color. but when we moved into our house the walls were so horrible we had to paint. and we couldn't afford to buy paint so we bought the "oops" paint at home depot. dh convinced me to jsut try out the colors and now i jsut love it. i would post pics but my camera's batteries are dead right now!

my living room is a bright blue and my kitchen is a cranberry. we pretty much painted to entire house different colors. i am not the best at decorating so i am sure some people may cringe, but i get a lot of compliments about our kitchen and living room. i say go for it. pick some colors that you like and just do it.

love your curtains, btw!
#3 of 33 Old 02-03-2006, 03:45 AM

I have GOT to go to bed, so I'll try to remember to come back tomorrow.

One thing I noticed though, is that you could always just paint ONE wall a color, and keep the others neutral if you want. That may be a way to deal with the "transitional" ares that flow together. I think the little wall that the clock is on would be great done in a bright or dark color as an accent.

I have a bathroom much like yours that I painted a warm sandy color, and decorated in a safari theme - warm woods and natural materials with black and green accents - stuff with palm trees on it is easy to find and matches perfectly, and I put up a wallpaper border with giraffes, camels, tigers and zebras on it. I had the paint matched to the wallpaper background. It was easy and cheap and looks AMAZING!

I also have a tiny half-bath painted cobalt blue, even on the ceiling, with Van Gogh prints and celestial themed stuff in there - it really looks elegant, it has a pedestal sink that is really shown off well with the dark wall behind it. It somehow seems easier to do wilder colors in bathrooms - they're smaller and less intimidating.

I'm planning to do the living room in my new house a warm cream color, and paint one wall RED! I'm also considering a sort of terracotta-orangey-red color for one bath, with rich Moroccan-looking stuff in there, brass and rich colors.

Also you have cute kitties - I had a white one just like yours for years, she had one blue and one yellow eye and was just beautiful. I miss her still.

Have fun decorating!

#4 of 33 Old 02-03-2006, 04:00 AM

We picked a pretty gray for our master and I LUV IT! It is called Wet Seal or something. We get lots of compliments on it. And it looks good with any color I like mine with blue and red in the room.
#5 of 33 Old 02-03-2006, 04:02 AM - Thread Starter

The one thing dh & I really agree on is that we keep thinking a light green for the bathroom, with a darker shade of green on the ceiling. I want things very simple but light. Not nescessarily light colors, just want it to be bright and airy!

~Rose~ 

Homeschooling Mom to Two Boys, 13 & 9. rainbow1284.gif Baby Girl Arriving April 2013!

#6 of 33 Old 02-03-2006, 04:11 AM

yellows are great for bright, light feel. Green can be tricky bc it can look dreary.
#7 of 33 Old 02-03-2006, 04:14 AM

I have found the most wonderful color called "Peanut" from a local company here in the Northwest. It is made by www.devinecolor.com. It is a really warm, inviting yellow.
#8 of 33 Old 02-03-2006, 04:16 AM

I like where you're starting from, it looks great already.

The only thing that stuck out, to me, was the wood molding/trim that is on the baseboards and around most of the doorframes. I always feel like if the door is white, the trim around it should be too. I would paint that all white, even the handrail on the stairs. I think it would open things up a bit, visually...especially if you are going for a light and airy look.

I would stick to lighter shades in the living room, maybe even keep it white/ or creamy. The shades of green you wrote about sound nice too for the bathroom, and maybe your bedroom? I'm just not a big color person, I like color to be in things I can change easily when I get tired of it, like pillows. I like a little color on walls that are in rooms I'm in the least.
#9 of 33 Old 02-03-2006, 04:20 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRC121799
The one thing dh & I really agree on is that we keep thinking a light green for the bathroom, with a darker shade of green on the ceiling. I want things very simple but light. Not nescessarily light colors, just want it to be bright and airy!

In that case ditch the dark furniture I'm serious, maybe put some light colored or floral covers on the couch and paint to blend with that? Dark furniture will suck up the light where as light will reflect the light. There's a show on HGTV called "Designed to sell" for staging houses and that's the #1 thing it seems they recommend. I love watching it because they find the way to get the best look for the lowest cost.

Seriously?
#10 of 33 Old 02-03-2006, 05:00 AM - Thread Starter

Sugarwoman, I love that peanut color! And very cool website, thanks for sharing it!

The wood molding around the doors and by the floor is so beautiful in person, I could never, ever paint it, just couldn't do it,lol. Thank you for the suggestion though.

And the couch is fairly new and expensive (most we've ever spent on a piece of furniture!), we love it, and it holds up well to everything the kids get on it, a light colored couch/cover would get trashed and hairy very quickly here! We love all our furniture, we'd just like the walls to enhance/compliment it. So that's pretty much the only dark thing (and the rug) that we have. I do love getting all the suggestions though. Keep em' coming!

eta...we also want to put up crown molding eventually, I think...

~Rose~ 

#11 of 33 Old 02-03-2006, 05:02 AM

If I owned my own house I would paint my daughter room pink, mine lavender, the kitchen would be light blue and I would leave the rest white.
#12 of 33 Old 02-03-2006, 05:25 AM

we love colors here! Our living room is camper green with an accent wall of chocolate brown. Looks amazing with plants. We just painted our bedroom a misty gray/dark blue kinda color and painted the trim white. Its great. reminds me of a cottage by the sea.

http://www.behr.com/behrx/workbook/ Check out this site. You can play around with different colors and paint the walls of a model home. They have a ton of rooms to choose from so you can get as close to your room as possible.
Click on inspiration after clicking on color smart and that will get you going in the right direction.
#13 of 33 Old 02-03-2006, 05:36 AM

If you like light and bright, stick with warm yellows, or tan, mocha, or pastels.

Accent walls are good for a splash of color, but avoid doing too much of a really dark color. Red, even bright red, makes a room really really dark.
#14 of 33 Old 02-03-2006, 07:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Our L/R and D/R are similar to the Divine Cashew color on the site linked above, and we love it. Our kitchen is a pretty yellow, and we are thinking about going a bit more dramatic. We just repainted our bedroom a darker, caramel type color. Our bathroom is blue. I love blue bedrooms. The cover of the most recent Pottery Barn catalog had a great blue bedroom, I love the color. I also love rooms in a mango color - it sounds odd but is so warm and inviting. And definitely yes on the crown molding, I think it makes a huge difference!
#15 of 33 Old 02-03-2006, 12:03 PM

Quote:
The wood molding around the doors and by the floor is so beautiful in person, I could never, ever paint it, just couldn't do it,lol. Thank you for the suggestion though.

And the couch is fairly new and expensive (most we've ever spent on a piece of furniture!), we love it, and it holds up well to everything the kids get on it,
I almost asked you about the real color of the molding, I wondered if perhaps it was lighter than it appeared in the pics

As far as the couch, I love it! Is it from Crate and Barrel?
#16 of 33 Old 02-03-2006, 12:28 PM

We love color!

Everyone said we were crazy, but we painted the living room a warm red with a contrasting yellow wall and we get tons of compliments on it.

Kitchen is cream and green, bedroom is lilac, and bathroom is cream.
#17 of 33 Old 02-03-2006, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hip_mama
we love colors here! Our living room is camper green with an accent wall of chocolate brown. Looks amazing with plants. We just painted our bedroom a misty gray/dark blue kinda color and painted the trim white. Its great. reminds me of a cottage by the sea.

http://www.behr.com/behrx/workbook/ Check out this site. You can play around with different colors and paint the walls of a model home. They have a ton of rooms to choose from so you can get as close to your room as possible.
Click on inspiration after clicking on color smart and that will get you going in the right direction.
Just a word of caution about this... just because the room looks great on computer doesnt mean that it's gonna look great in your house! I picked out the most beautiful color and bought a ton of paint... and it looked bloody aweful in my house.
#18 of 33 Old 02-03-2006, 01:00 PM

I love decorating and even took college classes on it. For your entry way think of a color that to you is calm and inviting. Nothing too dark and bold but like a sandy tan or a light green or warm yellow gold. SInce this is where guests first come in you want them to feel invited and welcome. Also helps to hang a mirror in the entry or hang stuff on the wall that reflects your family. Since you dining/kitchen/living are all in one I would find a combination of three colors that go well together and you love. Think your favorite colors since this is where you will be spending most of your time. Then I would take the darkest color maybe a medium dark berry color and would paint the wall behind your couch but stop painting where the flooring switches, this will break up the different rooms. Paint the rest of the colors in the living room a lighter shade of a neutral color like cream or just a hint of brown. To add color to your dining I would try to incorporate some of the wall color but not too much and pick a fabric to make chair cushions or add a rug under the table. Pick a wall color for the wall in the dining where you stopped painting the living room wall (or you could continue) but pick a color, light, that goes with your curtains but really makes them pop, color also needs to not contrast living room color. If you have a hrad time picking a color I would just continue the same. Kitchen can be fun incorporate colorful rugs, dish towels, clocks...you name it. You also have room on the top of your cupboards to display things if you want, other wise you could paint the soffit the same berry color of the living room wall to tie it together. Have fun in your kids room, you could do funky stenciling or stamps on the wall. Paint their name on the wall, just make it fun. In your bedroom I would again do one wall behind your head board a dark color and the rest neutral. Bathroom anything relaxing. HTH
#19 of 33 Old 02-03-2006, 01:30 PM

I love your couch! And your dr table and chairs are similar in color and style to mine. All that light wood is pretty.

I agree with the idea of doing the bathroom in a strong color - you can be brave. Green sounds nice.

Since your LR/DR/kitchen are all one area visually, I'd choose a warm neutral, like a yellow or a tan, with some good color to it. Nothing too pale. Our last place was like that and it worked welll. Pick something that contrasts a bit with your couch - you don't want it to blend in. Throw pillows or a throw blanket might be nice as an accent.

You could maybe do the kitchen in a contrasting color, esp. above the cabinets, because it's smaller and more distinct from the other rooms. (Does that make sense?) I'd look at your kitchen stuff - fruit bowl, dishes, linens, and see if there's a theme there and paint so that your kitchen picks up those colors. Like if all your tablecloths and dishes are in the blue/green range, consider a nice strong blue or turquoise for an accent color in the kitchen.

For bedrooms, I'd do whatever your kids want in theirs and whatever makes you feel cozy and relaxed in yours.

Have fun!

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#20 of 33 Old 02-03-2006, 02:25 PM

I love painting. It's one of my favorite things to do and I'm always amazed at how colour on a wall can change so much in a room.

I'm a big fan of pittsburgh paints. Their manor hall line goes on like velvet. So smooth and soft. I think Behr changed their paints lately because the last two times I have helped someone paint their house with Behr the paints (latex, not oil) have been really thick and didn't go on quite as easy as they have in the past.

A few people have suggested yellow and I thought I'd throw my esperience of yellow out there. When we bought our house a few years ago it had just been painted and it looked great. Really. We didn't decide to paint anything at all because the colours were ones we would've picked on our own (except maybe the kitchen) and they went really well with our style of furniture. The people before us had great taste!

The kitchen was a light yellow. We thought "how nice and light and airy. How clean." There was nothing wrong with the colour at all, but as we lived in the house we found that our kitchen (which is very large and also our dining area), especially in winter, felt too cold and rushed. For us yellow turned out not to be a warming or calming colour at all so when at the table for breakfast or dinner we felt kinetic and like we were just supposed to eat and get up. I hated feeling like that as I grew up in a home where dinners were lingered over and the table was a place of friendship and warmth. So we decided to paint (we used Pittsburgh's Happy Trails, which is an earth tone) and it has really changed the feeling in the room and it's now a wonderful place to sit and linger and talk and relax, and even better, entertain friends. It's also warmed up the area alot. I actually digest my food now, lol.

I think when deciding which colours to put on your walls it helps to spend time thinking about what each room will be used for on a regular basis. What is the feeling you want when you spend time in that room? There are so many great colours out there that I love and that would look great in our house but not all would actually create what I'm looking for in the house.

Many paint stores now have giant paint chips you can stick up on the wall and watch throughout the day to see how the changing light effects it.

The greatest thing about paint, IMO, is that it is relatively cheap so it's easy to change if you don't like the end result.

Have fun!
#21 of 33 Old 02-03-2006, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

My older ds keeps saying he wants his room purple. I'm not sure about that though. Our couch, I truly love that thing, we actually got it at a store here in town (I think Horizon Furniture or something like that) that has very nice stuff that imitates Pottery Barn etc. The boys have gotten anything and everything spilled on that, and it cleans up to almost new with just hot soapy water and a couple of towels (one for drying) It's "passion suede" some fake stuff, it's awesome. Normally on the couch there are two dark/berry red pillows, they're in the sewing room right now though, waiting for some seam help. I would love a dark red chenille throw. It's always on my "want" list. That or golden yellow. I love the idea of doing something bright and funky in the kitchen above the cabinets! And doing the entry/living/dining/hall different shades of a similar color. And the icy blue gray color mentioned for a master bedroom, I am soooo leaning towards that for our room, I just have to convince dh (we've attempted "dusty blue" in our first house, and our master bedroom ended up purple/lavender, which is pretty, but not what we wanted at all).

Our kitchen dishes are dark blue/white, and glasses are clear. I used to have baskets on top of the cabinets but I took them down to use for storage in the kid's room,lol. I want to put some sculptures/vases up there, like in pewter and different colors of glass I think. This is helping me so much, thank you SO much you guys! I think we'll do the bathroom first since there's nothing really to take down or move to do that job.

~Rose~ 

#22 of 33 Old 02-03-2006, 03:08 PM

I think a nice golden yellow or mustardy color would look good in your living room/dining room and maybe go a darker shade in the kitchen for contrast. Your bathroom would be pretty in sage green with the white fixtures. Since I love blue, a think a pretty slate blue would be nice in your bedroom. We are just starting painting in our house - I am sick of white walls! We have done the half bath in tan, and one bedroom in taupe with white trim. We still have a lot to go, but I can hardly wait!
#23 of 33 Old 02-04-2006, 04:01 AM

Thought I'd add in my best friends colors from her house. Her bedroom is a tan/brown color - it makes me think of coffee with milk - her bedspread and curtains are deep red with gold and hunter green accents - jewel tones basically, and they have lots of wood furniture. Her bathroom is a slate blue, with a nautical theme.

Her kitchen is my favorite - they painted it sage green when they remodeled the house, then later bought curtains that looked like a shelf with wine bottles on it. They then bought the matching wallpaper border and put that up, then got some old wine bottles and put them around on top of the cabinets. I then put some silk greenery and fake grapes around the bottles, and a basket with a fake baguette, cheese wheel and fruit. With some wine-themed art, it is very pretty and looks almost like a restaurant. The primary colors are sage and earth tones, accented with shades of purple from wine to lavendar.

I have tons of family photos framed and put all around the tops of my kitchen cabinets. I really like putting things up there because it seems to make the room look really "finished".

I personally wouldn't paint wood moldings, unless they REALLY look awful. I'm wanting to put up wood moldings in my house, actually!
#24 of 33 Old 02-04-2006, 04:29 AM

O.K. I looked through your pictures and the first color that comes to mind for your living room is blue. A deep, true blue, maybe because of the starry night picture on your wall and it would look lovely with the various shades of brown elsewhere. For the bathroom, I thought of a light golden yellow. I have no idea about the kids room. For the master bedroom, a dark khaki might look nice - it's what we have in our room and we love the peacefulness and serenity it inspires.

hang.gif  

#25 of 33 Old 02-04-2006, 04:32 AM

Do you have a paint chip deck? That's where I started. It's fairly easy to eliminate the colors you DON'T want. Even cheaper would be go to the Home Depot and grab a whole bunch of paint strips Selecting colors within the same color intensity/saturation level is usually a good idea. So, all your selections would be on the same level (top row or second row, etc) Personally, I would do a three color palette. There's enough variation, but not too much of a hodge-podge. Color can be so unifying--but too much/many is distracting, IMO.

What colors do you LOVE? What emotions do you feel w/each color? We just did our house in an overall neutralish light putty gray that tends to be a different color in each room, depending on the time of day. I did two BRs a gorgeous light blue, and two rooms a funky light green. So, with blues, greens and grays, it's a *cool* feel that's warmed up with walnut hardwoods and bamboo blinds. Do you have certain colors that have happy memories attached? Places (like grandma's 1950's tile in her bathroom, etc) that might be a good starting place to find fun colors?

I keep a magazine page folder where over the years, I've cut out photos of rooms that "spoke" to me---so, I was able to find a theme when the time came to decorate. I just picked the colors I kept picking out of the magazines, or found myself drawn to. Go for it! Paint is relatively cheap--so don't be stuck out of fear. You can always prime and start over Also, quite a few brands are doing the tester containers so you can try a color on for size. And these days, if something ends up too dark, you can always do an overglaze! The possibilities are endless...which is why you were asking for advice If you like it---it's great!

Most important---have fun!!!

I LOVE talking decorating.

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#26 of 33 Old 02-04-2006, 01:07 PM

If you're still looking for ideas...last year we painted our living room, kitchen, and all the hallways in Benjamin Moore "Rich Cream", which we still love. The dining room is in Laura Ashley "Olive 3", a nice mossy color that looks good with the pine table. The 'study' is a light tan color. All of the trim is in white. The cream looks so nice against the colors of the individual rooms, and ties everything together.

Upstairs, we have more colors going on. The boy's room is a faded denim color, DD's room is lavender, and the baby's room (or rather, the room where the diaper stash lives) is a fresh spring green. (I love it in there!) I got fed up with the kids being slooooow in the bathrooms, every school day. We painted it orange! I was inspired by the Weleda packaging, but they love it because they think that it's the same atomic orange shade of Mac & Cheese! We plan to install some white beadboarding in there. We have a blue/white/turquoise/green striped shower curtain, and white towels in there. We plan to paint our bedroom in Benjamin Moore's "Peanut Shell", and the bathroom a lilac color with a 'fluffy white towels & candles' thing going on.
#27 of 33 Old 02-04-2006, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

I'm definitely still open to ideas!! That Starry Night picture on the wall, I actually wanted "The Olive Trees" but I couldn't find it fast enough in a store locally (I was SICK of that blank space) so I got Starry Night for the time being, though I think I'd like a set of 3 Van Gogh's there (real ones preferred,haha,j/k).

I have a notebook for "decorating ideas" with paint chips and stuff ripped out of magazines. I want the bathroom to be bright and "WOW" but make you look good naked/in the mirror,lol. I want the bedroom to make me feel like I do when we're at the beach (we had our honeymoon at the shore, and we go camping on the coast every summer, and I feel happiest there). I want the living/dining room to feel fun and inviting and cool. I want my kitchen to be simple and make me want to cook,haha. I figured because the living room/entryway/hallway flow together, they should be either the same color or some version of the same.

~Rose~ 

#28 of 33 Old 02-04-2006, 04:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I love color! but then again I may be a bit off the wall with decorating too.

I do love turquoise. DS room is that color and it's so nice and calming. our playroom is periwinkle and thats another great color! it even glows in the sunlight at certain times of the day which makes the room inviting.

my living room is brown and red and purple. I love darker colors!

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#29 of 33 Old 02-12-2006, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

added pics to original post....

~Rose~ 

#30 of 33 Old 02-12-2006, 07:35 PM

Quote:
added pics to original post....
I can't get that link to work....

You are a fast mover, you already have painted!?!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page