new paint over old lead paint ok? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 5 Old 02-23-2008, 12:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,
Is it okay to buy antique furniture newly painted over the original old paint? I assume the old paint is lead in it. Is there a concern that lead might leach into the air or is it sealed by new paint? Thanks so much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 02-23-2008, 12:18 AM

The new paint seals it off. As long as it isn't chipping to expose the old paint, should be fine.
#3 of 5 Old 02-23-2008, 02:44 AM

The new paint does encapsulate the lead, in fact that legally can be considered an acceptable solution for lead paint in houses. However, in furniture I would be concerned - paint on furniture is much more likely to chip and the edges may be 'chewable' which means a child may decide to bite or teeth on it. I wouldn't feel comfortable with another layer of paint to protect in those situations.

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)

#4 of 5 Old 03-01-2008, 03:24 PM

afm safecoat makes a non toxic (better for the earth too) paint that forms a membrane preventing lead and other chemicals from offgassing or coming through.
www.afmsafecoat.com

Talia Rose - mountain mama to Grace and Xack::  h20homebirth.gif :homeschool.gif  goorganic.jpgwhale.gifchicken3.gif

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Products Healthier for Humans and Gentler on the Earth

#5 of 5 Old 03-01-2008, 04:40 PM

Absolutely, and this is often (not always, but usually) the preferred method. Scraping and sanding lead paint off stirs up A LOT of lead into the air.... just completely aerosolized, and truly needs to be done by professionals to ensure lead containment. But I have to tell you, knowing what I do about aerosols, I have a very hard time believing it's possible to contain it all and it's very easy to make huge mistakes like ooops someone tears down the tarp by accident or traipses through the lead remediation area into your kitchen. Happens ALL the time.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page