SOLAR, portable printer? need creative advice - Mothering Forums

#1 of 4 Old 04-29-2008, 02:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Help me with this idea:

Is it possible to run a portable printer and scanner from some kind of solar generator for under $500? I am working on a grant for something , and just realized I should think as green as i can while i am at it. So. I want to be able to scan and print for I guess about an hour would be enough. longer would be better. I would like it to recharge easily and not be full of lead or dangerous components that might put kids at risk ( adults would be using it.. so I am mainly talking about a rare accident or something totally obvuosly bad)

The first idea was simply rechargable portable devices.. but it would be more fun to get a solar something-or-other to either use as back up for recharging. you know , when the battery runs out on the portable printer, i can just plug it into the solar thing. But i think i could get a better printer, just a regular one, and then use the solar to plug in, for the actual usage of a printer. The scanner would be used a lot less frequently than the printer.

Any ideas? Any reccomendations on printers and scanners while we are at it? I need good dpi, good resolution. but eco friendly as possible is wonderful.

thanks in advance. oh and by the way i need ot know by wednesday at the latest!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 04-29-2008, 03:59 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I have no idea but I didn't want you to think I didn't read your post (from TAO).
Good luck!

Mom &  RN   intactivist.gif
Pardon the typos - CWOK (cat walking on keyboard)   signcirc1.gif

#3 of 4 Old 04-29-2008, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm not 100% sure of the technical issues, but I know you can charge a deep-cycle marine/RV battery with solar cells. I don't know if you could do it for under $500 dollars, but it might be a jumping off point. Should be enough of a charge for what you're looking for. Of course, the battery itself has some not-so-great stuff in it, but it should last several years and the marine ones are pretty stable/sturdy so I wouldn't think you would have to worry about random leakage in normal circumstances. Just make sure to take it to a proper collection location when you're done.

#4 of 4 Old 04-29-2008, 11:58 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Are you looking for a printer/scanner that is solar powered, or just a way to power one? Voltaic solar backpacks can run a lot of devices, and the new Generator can charge a whole laptop, and so I assume a printer/scanner as well when the laptop isn't charging. It is $600 retail though --- depending on your exact power needs though its possible one of the smaller backpacks would work.

Oh and by personal experience, Voltaic bags are awesome and work really well They are also super durable for the average person.

XM,: mama to ds (5/08), dd (9/10) and ds (6/12) ! whale.gif :C.H.S & M.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page