Yard sale. Did I overprice or just get unlucky? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 23 Old 05-25-2009, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had a yard sale this weekend trying to clear out some baby stuff (we are done!)

I had a ton of baby girl clothes mostly in the 3-6 and 6-9 range (mostly summer) with some 12 mos winter stuff too. I priced shirts and pants $0.50-$1 and outfits $1-$4 depending on the quality, how many parts and how worn. Some of those outfits were worn once and purchased new last summer. Shoes were $0.50 Onsies were $0.10 or $0.25.

I sold almost nothing.

Did I over price or just not have the right people show up?

I don't go to many yard sales so I wanted to check and make sure I was pricing stuff reasonably. I had a ton of stuff and not a lot of space to display it. Could that have been part of my problem? Interestingly enough I sold a good # of cd's.

Patty wife to Jason Mama to Wisteria (6) and Junia (2)
our family is <>< and :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 23 Old 05-25-2009, 02:13 PM

Your pricing sounds good to me. That's about what I'd expect to pay for baby stuff at a yard sale.

Did you have a lot of people show up and just not buy anything, or did you have very few customers? I've found that good signage really helps drive traffic - lots of signs, all similar in design, very clear and bright, and following each heavy traffic path through the neighborhood. Also put "baby clothes" on all of your signs so people know what you're selling before they take the time to drive to your sale.

Mama to two crazy boys (8/05 & 9/07) and happy wife to one wonderful hubby.
#3 of 23 Old 05-25-2009, 02:16 PM

the pricing sounds right to me too-I've had bad luck sometimes too. Putting an add in the paper or on craigslist with baby clothes and age/sizes helps too.

#4 of 23 Old 05-25-2009, 02:17 PM

Those prices sound right to me, too.

Was it just a slow day or were people looking and not buying?
#5 of 23 Old 05-25-2009, 02:18 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
The pricing sounds fine, sounds like you were just unlucky! Even if you did overprice, people expect to haggle a bit at garage sales and would make an offer if they were interested.

BC Mum of 5 (14,12,9,6,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
baby) and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
21wks
15wks
#6 of 23 Old 05-25-2009, 02:28 PM

I wish I could find yard sale prices that cheap. Here, yard sales are priced a little below retail it's insane.

I find that clothing doesn't sell very well at yard sales, or baby stuff in general. Where I live, anyway.
#7 of 23 Old 05-25-2009, 02:39 PM

Well I sure wish I had found your yard sale!! your prices seem reasonable to me
#8 of 23 Old 05-25-2009, 02:44 PM

Great prices. I have found that baby stuff doesn't go well in our area. Consignment stores that give credit are the way to go around here.

:
#9 of 23 Old 05-25-2009, 02:53 PM

How did you have it organized? I find that if I have to dig through a massive pile of misc. sizes I won't even bother. I find it too intimidating.

Although you may have just gotten unlucky. I set up my garage sale last year and had clothes separated and labeled by size, and was asking .25-.50 for each thing, and barely got rid of anything. And it was very clean, cute stuff. I ended up just donating it all because it wasn't worth my trouble.
#10 of 23 Old 05-25-2009, 03:26 PM

I had a garage sale this weekend too. We got a lot of traffic, but none of the baby/kid stuff sold. All of the household stuff sold.

I have boy clothes from newborn - 2T and I think I sold two pieces. I had baby gap outfits for $1. No one really even looked at the clothes. I also had a swing, pack n play, bassinet, wooden chunky puzzles, some haba wood toys, none of it sold.

All of the household items that I thought would never sell sold though.

We had the garage sale on Saturday only. I'm going to try again this Friday. Garage sales are pretty busy around here on Friday's. I'm going to advertise on craigslist all of the baby items. Maybe I will have more luck with the stay at home mom crowd.
#11 of 23 Old 05-25-2009, 03:27 PM

your prices sound fine. but i never bother buying clothing at yard sales. the prices are so good at the consignment stores and they have a 3 day return policy.

WAHM to a toddler, preschooler, and kindergarten student. 
:

#12 of 23 Old 05-25-2009, 04:05 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
For my area, those prices would be a bit high. If I were buying baby clothes, I wouldn't want to pay more than 50 cents for a shirt or pair of pants, and I would expect to find a lot of things for 25 cents. I might pay a dollar for a whole outfit if I really liked it, but I wouldn't be likely to pay any more than that.
#13 of 23 Old 05-25-2009, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffodil View Post
For my area, those prices would be a bit high. If I were buying baby clothes, I wouldn't want to pay more than 50 cents for a shirt or pair of pants, and I would expect to find a lot of things for 25 cents. I might pay a dollar for a whole outfit if I really liked it, but I wouldn't be likely to pay any more than that.
I agree. I know it's crazy, but I won't pay more than $2 for adult's clothes! I think how you display your clothes helps too. I was searching this weekend for children's clothes that I need, yet if they were on the ground and not organized, I passed and went on. Having clothes on hangers is the way to go IMO.
#14 of 23 Old 05-25-2009, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffodil View Post
Same in our area. I think it really depends where you live. Here, I refuse to pay more than .50 for any clothing item unless its super super cute or a must have. Generally I grab stuff for .25 when shopping for the kids. Otherwise I may as well just shop the clearance rack at Target. I can get tshirts there for the kids for under $2 new.

Mom to Joscelyne 14, Andrew 12, and Mackenzie 10 and wife to Nate.
#15 of 23 Old 05-25-2009, 08:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I've only bought clothes at yard sale once. They're usually in a big pile or all hanging on a portable rack. There's not enough space to show them off. Only expecting women would buy newborn clothes, and only if they know the gender they'd buy newborn girl clothes. If you didn't have customers who look very pregnant you're probably out of luck. Why not try to sell them on Ebay as a lot?

Mom to 2 beautiful autistic boys (17 & 15)
#16 of 23 Old 05-26-2009, 12:00 AM

i agree....depends on where you live. around here, people expect yard sale stuff for super cheap, regardless of quality or name brand. i buy most of my kid clothes at yard sales....i pay anywhere from .10 to 2.00....mostly .50-1.00......but i typically wont spend more than 2.00 on something.
#17 of 23 Old 05-26-2009, 12:22 AM

Your prices sound reasonable to me. I get almost all my kids' clothing at yard sales, and I generally don't spend over 0.50 for any items, but I will def spend more if it is good quality stuff, or something like a winter coat that I know would cost a lot new.

I have never had much luck selling baby stuff either, even priced at 10 cents. Wrong neighborhood or not enough advertising was my mistake, I guess.

“War is peace.
Freedom is slavery.
Ignorance is strength.”
― George Orwell, 1984
#18 of 23 Old 05-26-2009, 01:36 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much.

We didn't have great attendance. It was supposed to be nice but it rained about an hour after we started for quite a while. Still some did come.

Any yard sale I have been to the baby stuff is all picked over early and clearly just a few things remain from the origional display. I did have some boy/unisex stuff but perhaps not so obvious.

I thought we advertised well but it was a holiday weekend and that may have kept people busy and not able to come out.

I do think I should have displayed the clothes better. I'll think about that for next time.

our family is <>< and :
#19 of 23 Old 05-26-2009, 02:07 AM

IMO the prices were too high. That's about the same as a re-sell shop or thrift store...garage sales are typically less.
#20 of 23 Old 05-26-2009, 02:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beansmama View Post
IMO the prices were too high. That's about the same as a re-sell shop or thrift store...garage sales are typically less.
I wish! Resale shops here are much more than my prices. Thrift shops too. (I shop at both regularly.) I never see anything under $2-3 dollars at those and complete outfits are $5 and up. Sometimes over $10.

our family is <>< and :
#21 of 23 Old 05-26-2009, 10:45 AM

Well this past weekend also was a holiday weekend. So lots of people (myself included) were getting together with family, doing events etc. That could have eaten into your traffic.

I have noticed that if there are a lot of sales going on in the area, you will have better traffic because they feed off of each other.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#22 of 23 Old 05-26-2009, 10:52 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
In my area Memorial Day weekend is one of the biggest yard sale weekends all year. But rain could have had a big effect. If it rains early in the day, I assume most people will cancel their sales, and usually won't bother to go looking for sales even if it clears up later.
#23 of 23 Old 05-26-2009, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Your prices sounded reasonable to me. It probably was a combo of the holiday weekend and the rain.

student/sahm to three awesome girls who are always on the go!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page