Scooba or Hoover Floormate? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 10 Old 05-07-2009, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have hardwood floors about 5 years old and I CAN NOT get them to get clean. I can swiffer, sweep, spray mop every day and they still stay dirty. Doe s anyone have a good way to keep them clean ALL the time?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 05-07-2009, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I've only had the Hoover Floormate and I HATED it. It worked OK, not great, for like a week. It just did not do a good job at all and the swiffer did better believe it or not. Do you have any pets? The pet fur really messed up mine and I usually swept with a broom beforehand so it's not like there was a ton of pet hair to get caught up in it, kwim?

Rachel, mom to Jake (5/04) and Alexia (7/07) a surprise UC thanks to hypnobabies!
#3 of 10 Old 05-07-2009, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Yes I have a puppy and a 21mth old (who is mesie rthan the puppy). What did you end up using instead? I tell you that I am getting ready to put carpet back in:

#4 of 10 Old 05-07-2009, 02:10 PM

We have a Scooba and I love it! It picks up crumbs and such, then squirts out water (I only use hot water in it), and then squeegees the water back up. There are some scrubbing devices under it, too, so it is basically doing a FAR better job than I would on a regular basis. When I take the time to do the floor on my hands and knees with hot water and a rag, then *I* do a better job. I, however, don't do that as often as it would be best to do so. So, the Scooba wins overall due mostly to frequency. I set it to go twice a week in the kitchen and our kitchen has never been cleaner on a consistent basis.

There is a bit of an annoyance that I will be upfront about now that we discovered it: The battery is not meant to be charged all the time. You are supposed to only charge it before use and it needs to charge for 16 hours. It is annoying for us. I am wondering if/when they will upgrade the battery. We just have to think about it a bit more now that we know of this issue. An alarm on my phone or timer works.

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#5 of 10 Old 05-07-2009, 02:16 PM

Oh, and I forgot to mention: don't pay full price. You'll have to hunt around a bit, but we got ours and a gift one for my dad for $203 total. That includes two complete Scoobas (each came with Scooba solution -- I gave mine to my dad -- and a virtual wall and some little stuff) AND shipping. DH found them on WOOT.com on Black Friday 2007.

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#6 of 10 Old 05-07-2009, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

Great thanks!! I am going to try my friend's out and see how I like it.
#7 of 10 Old 05-09-2009, 01:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We like our Scooba and Roomba! We both work full time and there was absolutely no mopping of vacuuming going on. So now, we at least have some clean floors.

Yeah, I wish our Scooba was on a schedule like our Roomba. That would kick up the convenience factor a bit

winner.jpg, cloth diapering, babywearing, AP mama to Aiden (10/04/07) and Rylan (12/20/10)  hbac.gif
#8 of 10 Old 05-09-2009, 01:51 AM

We also have a scooba and roomba. I really like them. The scooba won't get up really grimy grime, but it works well on regular family dirt. I ordered mine from hammacher slamacher (or whatever that compay is called - something like that). It came with a lifetime unconditional guarantee - which was good because the battery konked out after 6-8 months or so. The newer ones have a better battery that can take being charged all the time. If you get a roomba also buy an extended warrenty or whatever, because we've gone through 3 or 4 in 2 years.

So - they work well, but they have longevity issues.
#9 of 10 Old 05-09-2009, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I love my Scooba. It worked great when we had a house of tile & finished wood. It really kept up with the day to day grime. Though sadly am selling it now that we have only 1 small tiled room. The rest of the house has 200 yr old boards.
#10 of 10 Old 05-09-2009, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone!! This feedback is so helpful.

I am not sure a scooba would work for us now after talking to my friend who has one. My house is little and so it is cluttered so she thinks it might get confused? What do you all think?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page