Raccoons using my driveway as a latrine. Need tips for scat removal - Mothering Forums

#1 of 8 Old 05-26-2010, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I found droppings and coon tracks a few days ago, and now more fresh scat this morning. I know that the droppings are dangerous and contain parasites. I've never had to deal with this, and honestly never thought I would have to living in the city. Now I'm reading this morning that once raccoons start doing their business in a place, they will return to it and continue to eliminate there. They're doing it right on my driveway by the basement windows. This is a huge problem because my kids like to ride their bikes and stuff out there, and now it's totally off-limits. HELP!!!!

Due to increases in operating costs, decreases in revenue and market instability, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 05-26-2010, 06:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hmmm you might try calling your county extension office or animal control and asking them. Good luck.
#3 of 8 Old 05-27-2010, 01:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
Hmmm you might try calling your county extension office or animal control and asking them. Good luck.
Perhaps. Although they will want to just come out and trap them, and then they will kill them instead of releasing them into the woods. I don't want to kill the raccoons, I just don't want them pooping on my driveway or eating my garbage. Hopefully I can figure out a humane way to resolve the problem.

Due to increases in operating costs, decreases in revenue and market instability, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience.

#4 of 8 Old 06-03-2010, 12:09 AM

You could try a windchime or a light on a motion sensor, but they're pretty smart and will habituate to a lot of things. I would go with an odorous repellant.

I would start by pouring a good amount of white vinegar on the area & reapplying fairly often for several weeks.

If that doesn't work, I know they don't like napthalene (moth balls)....but it's toxic and just plain gross. Maybe camphor?

homeschool.gif mom to dd (11) read.gifand dd (9) crochetsmilie.gif and ds (3) bikenew.gif and  dog2.gif(x2)
#5 of 8 Old 06-03-2010, 12:48 AM
A&A

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Google "raccoon repellent." There's a company that makes it.

And raccoons carry rabies, so I don't have any problem with them ending up dead, personally. But the repellent will just repel them, not kill them.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#6 of 8 Old 06-03-2010, 03:30 AM
Banned

My granny swears by a mixture of cinnamon and Sunlight dish soap to keep racoons from her yard
#7 of 8 Old 06-03-2010, 12:12 PM

i've seen a device that is supposed to frighten away animals (from your garden, but same principal) that has a blinking red light. no idea if it works but you might try to look it up and read about it. the brand is riddex.

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#8 of 8 Old 06-06-2010, 05:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
I would do bleach.Then I would rent a trap from AC and catch it.You could then relocate although that is often illegal.

Knew a kid who went blind from exposure to a parasite in scat.

Hot pepper flakes might work.

http://www.asktheexterminator.com/wi...on_Feces.shtml

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page