Homesteading with no "job" - Mothering Forums

1Likes
  • 1 Post By erthe_mama

#1 of 8 Old 02-23-2015, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Homesteading with no "job"

DH and I, and our two littles, are planning carefully to be able to buy a homestead. We own our home in PA and hope to sell it and buy land in northern Michigan where land is cheap and we can live off the grid.

DH is an equipment operator and makes good money, and we plan to buy our new property (when we find the right one!) outright and have no mortgage. There will be no utility bills as we will be off the grid.

In an area where you are homebound due to snow for much of the year, what do people do for jobs? we are very open to alternative ways of making money like selling wood, trapping, even making syrup if we have the right trees.

I guess although I know we can be quite comfortable on little, there are still things that have to be paid for and cant be grown on the land. Like eye glasses, and taxes, and some grocery items.

So, what do you rural homesteading ladies and your families do for income? Do you or your DH's have "regular" jobs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 02-26-2015, 05:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I don't identify as a "lady", but I'll answer your post anyway, assuming you're welcome to gender-fluid mamas as well.

You might find some more help in the "unjobbing" forum.

With homesteading, you could sell CSA shares, canning, soap, and lotions for starters.
ian'smommaya likes this.

Last edited by erthe_mama; 02-26-2015 at 05:41 PM.
#3 of 8 Old 03-02-2015, 06:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by erthe_mama View Post
I don't identify as a "lady", but I'll answer your post anyway, assuming you're welcome to gender-fluid mamas as well.

With homesteading, you could sell CSA shares, canning, soap, and lotions for starters.
thank you! I didnt see the unjobbing forum before!

#4 of 8 Old 03-07-2015, 11:40 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
You're welcome!! Glad to help.
#5 of 8 Old 03-11-2015, 07:01 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Smile homesteading income

Hello! We would also like to move to the middle of nowhere. We found a business we can work over the internet, so it doesn't matter where we live. It works well, too as being family friendly and natural. I can send you the website, as we are looking to expand if you are interested. We have friends in Michigan and they absolutely love it there. They are homeschooling 8 children. I visited there when my brother went to school. The lakes are breathtaking! You'd be moving to a beautiful area.-Lori
#6 of 8 Old 03-24-2015, 04:38 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by erthe_mama View Post

Some of these sounds great- please could you explain what CSA shares are?
#7 of 8 Old 04-20-2015, 07:16 PM

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc12 View Post
Some of these sounds great- please could you explain what CSA shares are?
CSA stands for "community shared agriculture". It's basically paying a membership fee to a farmer upfront, and then receiving a share of produce (typically weekly) during the growing season.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- my blog on small town homesteading.

#8 of 8 Old 07-17-2016, 05:25 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lori4naturalwellness View Post
Hello! We would also like to move to the middle of nowhere. We found a business we can work over the internet, so it doesn't matter where we live. It works well, too as being family friendly and natural. I can send you the website, as we are looking to expand if you are interested. We have friends in Michigan and they absolutely love it there. They are homeschooling 8 children. I visited there when my brother went to school. The lakes are breathtaking! You'd be moving to a beautiful area.-Lori
Hello,

I was reading this thread and I would be interested in the website if you would like to send it along. Thank You.

cvarr

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page