anyone totally off the grid? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 3 Old 04-11-2015, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
anyone totally off the grid?

My husband and I really want to homestead. We are looking at properties, and some of them are completely off the grid.

I was wondering what the biggest challenges of off grid living are. I would love to hear first hand from someone who has done it.

The things I thought of right away were:

Washing clothes by hand
Taking a bath (water would have to be heated on stove, bath in large tub)

I want to consider everything before we make this leap, so please add any other big challenges for someone coming from a "modern" lifestyle.

Thank You!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 04-12-2015, 04:46 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Look into getting a woodstove with a water reservoir built in for hot water. Also look into diy solar solutions, like the inside of an old water heater tank painted black, possibly in a clear topped box with reflective material beneath. The improved plunger design clothes washers are effective enough though takes some exercise, I've hand washed when my power was down before. A wringer seems pretty essential to doing it regularly. Tons of houses have well and septic of their own and do have plumbing but there's an investment there. Whatever you do, plumbing or not, you'll need to sort your water source out as a top priority before you settle there. If no plumbing are you thinking outhouse or Humanure system? Where are you finding off grid properties? I've had trouble locating many myself. Do you have kids, how many and how old if so? What's the climate where you are headed? How far a trip to town, over what kind of roads? Are you looking at going generator/solar and low energy use or just about zero electricity? If no electric you'll need to spend a lot of energy on preserving foods and a good root cellar.
#3 of 3 Old 10-20-2017, 06:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Managing waste is huge. Water can always be heated with fire or propane but if your waste isn't right serious health hazards emerge. You need a compost system for food, a compost toilet, and dirty water from washing managed.

And cast iron everything, pots, pans, bath tubs.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page