Is your piece of the country peaceful? looking for perspectives... - Mothering Forums

6Likes
  • 1 Post By Patt
  • 2 Post By MyFillingQuiver
  • 1 Post By Voondrop
  • 1 Post By 1babysmom
  • 1 Post By HomeschoolingMom86

#1 of 7 Old 05-13-2015, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Is your piece of the country peaceful? looking for perspectives...

Hi! Very new to posting to the forum but I've lurked for years. I just had a question that I couldn't get the answer to any other way. Are any of you country living moms "bothered" by hunters? We live in MT, have all our lives, but find now we need to leave and realized we'd both like to go somewhere very peaceful, as out here can get a little crazy sometimes. I'm talking about bullets whizzing by the house, our dogs shot, consistently woken out of a sound sleep by gunshots at 4am no matter what time of year, and not wanting to let my children even play outside for fear of their safety. I guess what I'm asking is: has the culture here (most hunters to population scale) completely clouded my view of what its like in other places? Have any of you felt threatened or unsafe during hunting season, or even just had your peace disturbed? Has it become a kind of yearly dread? I was just looking for some perspectives from outside my little piece of the world. Thanks so much for any help!
applejuice likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 05-14-2015, 07:05 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I'm in your neighboring state.

Peaceful here. I hear gunshots from neighbors (10-20 acre lots here), but never feel like they are whizzing by my house. We walk along the dirt road and back... and feel safe... (except maybe for the neighbors dogs who are overprotective of kids... including mine). My neighbor (who is also a doctor) is a hunter. And, we get a lot of moose, deer, mountain lion, roughed grouse, wild turkeys, rabbits around here. I guess we just have a good location. We are not surrounded by national forest.

A friend of mine who lives north of me had issues with their neighbor... they had gunshots whizzing by them. The neighbor has moved since.

I remember looking at a property and the neighbor turned out to be the owner's son. He was purposefully shooting guns while we were out there looking at the house and doing some not-so-inviting-things. (they have a family feud) We certainly didn't buy that place.

Super Mom.  Super Wife.  Super Tired.
#3 of 7 Old 05-14-2015, 07:38 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
When I saw your thread title, I didn't realize you were talking about hunting. I live across the street from a state park that backs up to a national forest. I have amazing views. None the less, the only evidence of hunting season are the signs on the trail heads reminding of the rules -- which are pretty strict because of an effort to re-introduce native species. I never see or hear guns -- even when hiking.

However, nature is a bit brutal here. My cats never go outside because too many creatures would see them as a light snack. My backyard is walled in with concrete blocks to keep rattle snakes out. I used to be very concerned about the scorpions and tarantulas, but I'm over it because I see them so seldom. Pretty much every summer a few tourists die while hiking.

Oh, and there are aggressive bees currently living in my roof. I have I company coming out to deal with them today, and based on the description, they think they might be Africanized bees. There is a big up charge for removing Africanized bees.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#4 of 7 Old 05-14-2015, 08:26 AM

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
I live in North Idaho where hunting is a big deal..neither my husband or I hunt. It is gorgeous here, and very rural. People enjoy all matters of outside activity, in all four seasons, and I've never once run into any issues with gun owners not being responsible.

I have also never heard a news report of anyone getting shot in our local area, via irresponsible gun ownership or hunting accidents, etc.

I think it's a bit of an anti-gun stereotype, TBH, but we are all entitled to our own opinions, and I certainly don't know what your personal experience is!

My husband and sons frequent state land for exploration, and at one point to ride dirt bikes in authorized areas. They've been met with nothing but folks who have a great respect for our area, and all it's inhabitants, including the humans!

I can't imagine a place that is like you are describing. Odd. It sounds more like when we lived in Fresno, CA We had regular Sheriff helicoptors flying over our backyard with search lights, once had a footchase through our backyard and over the fence, once had a brand new car stolen out of our driveway, AFTER the criminal entered our home to find the keys, and left it in the road when they discovered they couldn't drive a stick...

We heard gun shots occasionally there, and certainly didn't feel safe. I'd walk alone in the woods here..with a large caliber weapon, however, to protect me from the threat of animals. Or assailants that escaped up here from Fresno, LOL!
applejuice and 1babysmom like this.

Blessed Christian Wife and Homeschooling Mother to 10 children.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

‘To someone whose god is science, vaccination makes sense. But to someone whose god is God, it is appalling’ - Dr. Golden.

Last edited by MyFillingQuiver; 05-14-2015 at 08:31 AM.
#5 of 7 Old 05-25-2015, 06:58 AM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
We have 8 acres of peaceful property that adjoins a 240 acre hunt club. They back up into national forest. We also moved into the middle of clannish neighbors; our house used to belong to the brother of our neighbor & they being so close disregarded the property line when putting the house down down, so technically our whole garden & back girls bedroom isn't on our property. They missed payments & the bank foreclosed. They were suspicious of us until they learned we had bought the house from a flipper & not the bank itself, though I don't know why that made a difference.

We had some issues w/ the young man who grew up in our house, he would pop by at odd hours & ask to hunt since he'd been corn baiting all year. We said sure the first year & put up a gate the second to discourage people zooming into the drive. He's been in jail for arson for awhile so we've not seen him in a few years. My husband hunts on the few acres we have, & gun shots abound year round. It's really no different volume wise from when we were living in the city. Sometimes it's us. Something attacks the chickens, there are bears, coyotes & wildcats around. Sometimes it's New Years, that's always a heavy gun fire night.

When we do walk out during hunting season we don't do anything stupid like wear brown, white & green, but other than that I can't think of a better place I've lived in before.
applejuice likes this.

#6 of 7 Old 05-25-2015, 11:08 AM

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
We live in a rural area (this is also where we both grew up) and hunting is like breathing here. LOL I've never felt it to be an atmosphere like you describe, though. Growing up, our dog was shot by another local farmer, but he thought she was a coyote and she WAS out harassing his sheep, and unfortunately that just happens. My husband and I just recently moved, but we came from 34 acres (now we live in a slightly more populated area but we are still rural and near a river and there is still plenty of hunting going on), and hunting never happened on our property unless people asked permission or informed us first, but of course you could hear shots all across the countryside on any given day. Even if it was the Mennonite neighbors just wanting to nab a pheasant from the main road, they'd still come and ask or inform us. I never think much of it. I can't recall the last time I've heard of any accidents related to hunting here, and because it's such a common activity here the majority of people are very responsible. It's never bothered me. In fact, it was one of those things that was kind of comforting and made me love our home even more. Kinda like how I enjoy hearing the washing machine run when the house is empty and quiet. LOL
applejuice likes this.

Me (30) - DH (32) 12 years!
DD (9.5) ~ DD (7.5) ~ DS (5.5) ~ DS (2.5)

Mama to 11 babies in Heaven
#7 of 7 Old 06-29-2016, 03:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patt View Post
Hi! Very new to posting to the forum but I've lurked for years. I just had a question that I couldn't get the answer to any other way. Are any of you country living moms "bothered" by hunters? We live in MT, have all our lives, but find now we need to leave and realized we'd both like to go somewhere very peaceful, as out here can get a little crazy sometimes. I'm talking about bullets whizzing by the house, our dogs shot, consistently woken out of a sound sleep by gunshots at 4am no matter what time of year, and not wanting to let my children even play outside for fear of their safety. I guess what I'm asking is: has the culture here (most hunters to population scale) completely clouded my view of what its like in other places? Have any of you felt threatened or unsafe during hunting season, or even just had your peace disturbed? Has it become a kind of yearly dread? I was just looking for some perspectives from outside my little piece of the world. Thanks so much for any help!
If you're still looking, I live here in the Missouri Ozarks. It's a lot like the Andy Griffith show in some parts of the Ozarks where the really small towns are, then there's the larger towns and growing cities, but really out here in my area around Willow Springs, MO (Howell County) everyone is fairly laid back and relaxed about things, still friendly (you'll still meet that ONE person who isn't now and again) and it's Hunting/Fishing, Gardening/Farming/Agriculture oriented. We've got a lot of ranches and some vineyards (something that grapes just love about this soil!) Many farmers markets and swap meets are out nearly every weekend or at least twice a month. Lots of lakes and rivers to float, fish, swim or gig in.

A good part of the Ozarks area of Arkansas is about the same way, though it's more hilly there especially around the Boston Mtns area of Eureka Springs, AR, Fayetteville and Van Buren.

Lots of natural beauty is still left here, TONS of wildlife if you're into hunting, fishing, bird watching, fowling, trapping, etc. Or if you would like to just sit somewhere and enjoy watching nature on your own off-grid front porch you still can! One good thing about here in MO is that you can still catch and harvest rainwater, the MO Dept of Conservation actually encourages it!

Hope that helps!
applejuice likes this.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page