Chickens & pregnancy - Mothering Forums

#1 of 6 Old 08-18-2015, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Chickens & pregnancy

Wondering just how careful I need to be while collecting eggs/handling backyard chickens while pregnant. (Waiting to find out, right now...)
Is salmonella really a huge concern? We have seven chickens, one of whom was injured by the others and is currently living in the house with us until she heals up. Can I just wash my hands well and not worry about it too much?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 08-23-2015, 06:43 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
http://www.urbanfarmonline.com/urban...free-eggs.aspx

I don't worry about salmonella in our flock. Ducks and chickens. We keep a pretty clean barnyard area(also have goats) and we do wash our hands after handling animals and before eating. Our rooster got attacked by a raccoon and had toes amputated a month ago and being that it was in the heat of the summer and flies were a massive concern, he was living in my apartment for the first week. I didn't really worry too much about contamination but I did throw away the blankets we used in the box he was kept in.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#3 of 6 Old 08-26-2015, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yeah, I figure as long as I keep things clean & wash hands, I should be OK. Hope your little Roo is OK, ouch!

#4 of 6 Old 08-26-2015, 09:27 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Stinking 'coons! I never thought twice about chickens in pregnancy. Keep away from the cat box. And keep them mean 'coons away from the chickens. I've had 'coon problems before too. I no longer can see them as cute.
#5 of 6 Old 06-29-2016, 11:54 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
We've had +-60 chickens for the past 8 years, three pregnancies, and none of us have EVER had salmonella. Just wash your hands like usual, keep the coop clean, should all be fine
#6 of 6 Old 02-03-2017, 12:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just make sure to wash your hands with soap afterwards and you'll be fine!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page