Earthship? - Mothering Forums

1Likes
  • 1 Post By crazyms

#1 of 14 Old 11-01-2015, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Earthship?

I recently found out about earth ships and fell in love with the idea, but I'm not sure about the reality. Having to pay 8k just for the plans is very concerning to me. http://earthship.com/

Has anyone had experience with this or thoughts on it from looking at it? I know there are other ways to do sustainable living. I think half of it is that I love molding concrete like this to make your home into a sculpture.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 11-01-2015, 10:50 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysapling View Post
I recently found out about earth ships and fell in love with the idea, but I'm not sure about the reality. Having to pay 8k just for the plans is very concerning to me. http://earthship.com/

Has anyone had experience with this or thoughts on it from looking at it? I know there are other ways to do sustainable living. I think half of it is that I love molding concrete like this to make your home into a sculpture.
I've been looking into this, and the documentary I saw was amazing....some people in France did this, and they used volunteers to build the house which in my opinion turned out much more beautiful than the original Earthship
That's really a lot of money for the plans...as far as I have looked into alternative housing yurts seem most amazing to me. No actual building, so what you see is what you get basically....you can easily relocate and you can start out small, and upgrade it bit by bit....check out Pacific yurts...not much help, but please keep us posted how it turns out for you...I'm really enthusiastic about this type of housing
#3 of 14 Old 11-01-2015, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

I'm not sure if we'll go with this or not, we don't have land yet. We may end up buying a conventional house, but the thought of building a sustainable home is appealing.

I do like yurts, but I prefer something more permanent and definitely prefer privacy and to have rooms more sectioned off. I know you can make a series of yurts, though.

#4 of 14 Old 11-01-2015, 11:14 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure if we'll go with this or not, we don't have land yet. We may end up buying a conventional house, but the thought of building a sustainable home is appealing.

I do like yurts, but I prefer something more permanent and definitely prefer privacy and to have rooms more sectioned off. I know you can make a series of yurts, though.
Yes, I hear you...building with your own hands...I looked into log cabins built the Finnish way, cobs, yurts, Earthships...I'm sure that in the States you can take a course in cob building and then build your own house....but talking about the States, I'm a sucker for colonial houses...think Prince Edward island, Ann of Green Gables lol (i know, it's Canada, still...) best of luck with finding a home
#5 of 14 Old 11-01-2015, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

My biggest concern is housing codes and all that. I knew someone who built his own home, with the help of contractors, and ran into a lot of trouble. My boss had a headache with permits and such as well.

I know it's manageable but it's kind of ridiculous as well.
#6 of 14 Old 11-03-2015, 11:29 AM

Quote:
My biggest concern is housing codes and all that. I knew someone who built his own home, with the help of contractors, and ran into a lot of trouble. My boss had a headache with permits and such as well.

I know it's manageable but it's kind of ridiculous as well.
Somehow bureaucracy always ends up being the biggest concern (sigh...) that is why I suggested you look into the yurts, since they are not a permanent housing, they do not require permits as such....maybe rented piece of land on which to build a platform and position your yurt...you could buy it probably for the money it would cost you for the Eartship plans alone.....I understand you value your privacy, but yurt dwellers say that open space encourages family values and brings everyone closer together; of course you could always make little nooks for privacy, and platform for sleeping or office space....so many opportunities... as i said, I'm really exited other people are looking into these options as well.

These are some images i really liked...unfortunately DH is against yurts

I wish you so much luck!!!!!! If you are up to it, please share what your ideal home would look like
#7 of 14 Old 11-04-2015, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

That's a neat way of doing yurts!

It's the stability as well as the privacy. I want to put down roots, buy a house and find a way to stay there my whole life. If I were to do a yurt, it'd probably be more of a "what we live in while we build the house" thing than anything else. Which may happen!

I actually don't have many thoughts on my ideal HOUSE. I want to buy land and have a small farm. Veget ables, chickens, maybe some other animals for milk and meat and fiber, I'd love to have a horse or two. It'd be nice to leave a chunk of it as forest, but I don't know if I'll be able to afford that much land.

House wise, I'm not as picky. Especially if there's enough land. I don't think we could do the tiny house thing, just not the right personality types. I love the idea of being as self sustaining as possible.
My partner would want a bigger
#8 of 14 Old 11-05-2015, 11:43 PM

Talking

I understand. Basically my family wants the similar things you describe...as much dependence on ourselves as possible without it becoming a form of sacrifice...so far we hadn't had much luck, though we rent a house in the village, we are looking into buying land with a house, and so far we found nothing we could honestly call a home....to that my DH is also thinking of the possibility of relocating to another country since our home land is not representing our parenting values and is imposing certain beliefs and actions we do not share and do not wish for our children...but as yourself I just want somewhere to put the roots as I have been a foreigner for most of my life....Gosh being adult can be exhausting BTW you can so tell you're a guy lol, DH is also like: I care about the land and you can build anything if you have the land, and it should have a water supply and a slope, and a slope should be of that angle....and to that I'm like: right....sure....and curtains need to match the flower pattern of the tiles
#9 of 14 Old 11-06-2015, 02:32 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Thank you for sharing the earthship website! My husband and I have been discussing trying to live off of the grid for years and I think we are going to begin seriously researching ways to actually make it happen now- this is one option. It does seem fairly pricey, but I do love the layout and especially the attached greenhouses. I think the first thing we need to do is to find our piece of land.
#10 of 14 Old 11-07-2015, 03:45 AM - Thread Starter

It bothers me a lot that the plans are so expensive. I do understand that a lot of studying and work went into them, but it's a bit prohibitive. I imagine a lot of people who'd like to try Earthships would balk at the price and decide not to. Only people who are really committed will throw down that kind of cash, especially for such an unusual concept.

From what I've seen, the building itself shouldn't be especially expensive compared to building in general. It makes use of re-used materials (tires, aluminum cans, glass bottles, possibly others) and earth that you could, theoretically, use from your own land. There are other standard materials that would cost money, but I doubt it'd cost any more than building a standard house.

Two proud daddies and our little monster
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
4/13
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1/15
this is just a moment in time, step aside and let it happen
#11 of 14 Old 11-18-2015, 07:21 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
I agree about the plan pricing. I know a lot of time and energy went into the plans and research to make them but wow! I bought the tire house book and it gives very good info on the same thing without the "earthship" title. I would not pay that much for the plans. I think the cost of the plans alone defeat the purpose for those that would be interested in this kind of building and instead turns it into an elitist thing. But anyways... yurts are nice and I love the portability. We are considering this. I'm also wondering if dh is going to finally give more thought to earthbag buildings since he brought up the yurts. We shall see as this is a new (again) idea in our house. We have been discussing remodeling our current camper or getting another one to redo and dh pulls up yurts.

Michelle

mom to DD
, DS
, & lil DD
and
spending my days

#12 of 14 Old 11-18-2015, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyms View Post
I agree about the plan pricing. I know a lot of time and energy went into the plans and research to make them but wow! I bought the tire house book and it gives very good info on the same thing without the "earthship" title. I would not pay that much for the plans. I think the cost of the plans alone defeat the purpose for those that would be interested in this kind of building and instead turns it into an elitist thing. But anyways... yurts are nice and I love the portability. We are considering this. I'm also wondering if dh is going to finally give more thought to earthbag buildings since he brought up the yurts. We shall see as this is a new (again) idea in our house. We have been discussing remodeling our current camper or getting another one to redo and dh pulls up yurts.
I agree on the elitism. One thing that bothers me about it is that it seems similar to tiny house- a good option for people on a low budget. But charging so much just completely ruins that point. I definitely think they deserve to be compensated for their work- but yikes.

I never heard of the tire house, definitely look into them!

Two proud daddies and our little monster
4/13
1/15
this is just a moment in time, step aside and let it happen
#13 of 14 Old 11-19-2015, 10:52 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Quote:
I agree on the elitism. One thing that bothers me about it is that it seems similar to tiny house- a good option for people on a low budget. But charging so much just completely ruins that point. I definitely think they deserve to be compensated for their work- but yikes.

I never heard of the tire house, definitely look into them!
Yes I agree. I do think they should be compensated but it really upsets me to see something that is suppose to be a good option for families in need or on a budget and then watch it be turned into something you must have 100K to afford. It defeats the very principle behind the concept to begin with. The tire houses are essentially the same thing without the "earthship" name brand attached. Think Kleenex vs. tissue. I bought a book called the Tire House Book. It was very good and explanatory. We just haven't taken the plunge yet since we have yet to find an area we feel fits us for a permanent living situation.
sillysapling likes this.

Michelle

mom to DD
, DS
, & lil DD
and
spending my days

#14 of 14 Old 07-11-2016, 07:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am looking into earthship, or cob homes myself. I have moved most of my family to portugal recently and we are renting while trying to figure out the best way to go,

I have seen expensing plans like you are describing but that is for very large and expensive earthship homes. I saw a site with 10 dollar plans and fond another where a guy it building a set of duplicate small earthships for very cheap and will just keep build the same small earthship over and over until he has the space needed.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page