Searching for right town in SC or NC for natural living communities - Mothering Forums

#1 of 3 Old 11-16-2017, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Searching for right town in SC or NC for natural living communities

Hello Mamas!
We are thinking of moving south from New England for warmth, land, gardening/farming and a more family friendly crunchy community.
We are leaning towards SC just to get the slightly warmer weather, but are open to NC as well.
Right now our area options are open/wide but my husband would need to find an engineering job within a 45 minute drive to home so not extremely remote (though I would enjoy that :-).
Are there any towns/areas that people could suggest that might help get us started on our search?
I have heard good things about Asheville and Boone but have no experience personally visiting them.
Important things for us are topics like farm fresh food/co-ops, raw dairy, pasture raised meat directly from local farmer, wild animal meats, EBFeeding, homeschooling communities, outdoor natural play and learning, home birthing.
Any thought would be greatly appreciated and who knows, maybe I'll meet you someday :-)
Rachel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 11-16-2017, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you are looking for a "crunchy" community Asheville would be a good fit. Compared to the NorthEast you have a lot of options in NC or SC. There are going to be better jobs in NC. You could easily find what you're looking for within a 45 minute commute to a main NC city like Charlotte or the Triangle. I don't think SC is much warmer than NC except for maybe on the coast. Being on the coast in SC would limit your job options. I am thinking you would prefer the political climate in NC over SC but I could be wrong.

Last edited by JJWildflowers; 11-16-2017 at 01:35 PM.
#3 of 3 Old 11-17-2017, 07:36 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Asheville resident here. We're a great little town, but it's getting really expensive to live here as it is more and more gentrified...make sure you are bringing a job because there aren't a lot to be had here. There's a lot of what you are describing in the sort of things offered, but I'm not sure if it (or Boone) is a good fit based on what you describe.

There's a surprising amount of crunchy around Charlotte and the Triangle (Raleigh/Durham area), esp. Durham. If you want country living, aim there, and for a place about 30 minutes outside of the city! There's homeschool, co-ops, farm tours, and a strong farm-to-table movement. My best friend lives there and loves it, because she also has the amenities of a multicultural college town but can easily go snuggle someone's sheep with a short drive.

Tags
moving , natural living , north carolina , south carolina

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page