Any single moms have experience moving off the grid? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 3 Old 02-14-2006, 03:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been dreaming about self-sufficiency and no neighbors ...forever.

I have a few location ideas and a two year plan that is completely dependant on an internet connection, but I don't know how great I'd be as the only responsible adult in the home. I'm incredibly strong in the face of adversity, but you'll find me hanging from the ceiling fan and shrieking when the cat drags in a dying lizard with an eye hanging out.

I would learn to chop wood if I had to (I almost said "and kill chickens", but I quickly deleted that and quickly decided to go vegan. Done.).

I guess my question is, was it difficult to get used to roughing it? I have a feeling the pros (homeschooling, nature, self-sufficiency, giving my daughter a garden to run around, no traffic) will far outweigh the cons (wood cutting and chicken killing), but I have a few concerns about being a pathetic girlie girl. I never want to get to the point where I throw my axe on the ground, hitch up my gigantic hemp pants, and whine about needing a husband to help out around the cabin.

Is it possible to live off the grid and pay someone to chop your wood? Is it shameful to own a microwave and a freezer full of Lean Cuisines? Is it silly to think I can live in the middle of nowhere and expect to telecommute?

If you got this far, thanks.

Mary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 02-14-2006, 03:50 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Beats me mama but it sure sounds dreamy!! and hey if we moved in with ya, id take care of the lizzards.... as long as you dealt with the schooling!
#3 of 3 Old 02-14-2006, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I can't say we were totally off-grid, but when my first husband pulled the rug out from under us, the kids were 2 1/2 and 5 when I took them to Alaska. I lived in a quanset hut with two lean-to bedrooms. I had an oil stove for heat, but no running water. I cooked on a propane stove. I hauled water from the well every three days or so and bathed the kids in a washtub (they both fit in at once back then!).

So weren't totally off-grid, but I can say it was one of the best things I ever did. The only thing that I really needed was a support network. You might want to be far from neighbors, but I suggest joining a local church or women's group or something. One time the kids had flu and two days later I caught it to such an extent I couldn't even get out of bed to feed the kids for three days. I had my 5 year old making peanut butter sandwiches for every meal for three days! Poor dears! I felt terrible that I had no one to call to take care of them. Another time my back went out and I couldn't move for a week. Again, I just want to cry at how I couldn't care for my own little children and had no support set up.

Don't be too proud; there will be times when you will need help and your community will help you as you will help them when they need it. Because I worked part-time and most other parents worked week-on week-off, I had alot of flexibility to have their kids over even for days. So it can be a mutually beneficial "independence" - really an interdependence. It's a great thing to model for the kids too and I think I didn't do that enough so as they are almost grown now, they have this feeling that they should be able to do everything themselves with no help. And then they feel badly when they can't. That was my mistake.

So go for it. But don't be all alone. Have a way to get help when you need it. And I think you can be in a faraway land, get the peace you want for your family, and still be connected to the world. And, yes, you can order cordwood enough for the winter; you don't have to cut it down yourself.

American in Australia; fiber artist; craft blogger; 2 grown kids; Aspergers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page