Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (https://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   Country Living / Off the Grid (https://www.mothering.com/forum/316-country-living-off-grid/)
-   -   Hard sulfur smelling well water??? (https://www.mothering.com/forum/316-country-living-off-grid/605404-hard-sulfur-smelling-well-water.html)

Nu_Mommy_2003 01-29-2007 01:42 PM

This is a x-post:
I'm an old city water user that recently moved to a private well water home. I tested the water and had 3 companies give me a sales pitch on buying their water conditioning system and the reverse osmosis drinking water system to filter out all of the problem in the water. I was told by all 3 that major of the problem is because the house has been sitting for several month and the sulfur odor is the old water in that has been at a stand still.

I don't know what to chose or what's BEST for the family. and help would be really appreciated.

Water test results:
hardness 16
ph 7
iron 1
tds 270
odor: less than 0.2
AIS 5-6ppm

companies recommended:
Kinetico 2030s and an upflow filter for sulfur
+ reverse osmosis for kitchen and frig
Total $4000+-

Culligan Medalist series with a sediment filter before the softner
Total $3000+-

Ecowater w/ RO Total $2100+-

MamaTessa 01-29-2007 02:23 PM

I don't know which filter is best, but I have a small amount of experience with sulfur smelling/tasting water.

I don't think it has anything to do with the house sitting vacant. It's in your water source, when i was a kid there were a couple of families sharing the same water table and their water ALWAYS tasted/smelled of sulfur. Is there any way to have them run some of your water through their systems to see how they really work before you spend thousands of dollars on a system?

Nu_Mommy_2003 01-29-2007 03:25 PM

I wish they could run it thru but they don't. They all offer a 30 day no questions ask return guarantee. i'm sure this is minus the install cost.

cristeen 01-29-2007 07:54 PM

As a kid, we had well water. I know that we had sulfur in the water, but most of the time you never could tell. My parents installed a water filter when I was about 8, one of those with a filter mounted under the sink that's supposed to last a year or two. Within months, the filter was impacted with sulfur deposits and the whole house stank of rotten eggs. They ripped the filter out and that was that. To this day, that house is still on well water, and we all drink it unfiltered without any noticeable taste.

A lingering smell may well be from evaporation of any standing water (such as in traps, pipes, hoses, etc.) leaving sulfur deposits. I would honestly run some water down each sink, flush every toilet, run the washer, etc. and then air out the house and re-evaluate before spending money on any water filtration system.

As for hard water, that's another matter entirely. I know some people insist on softening their water to prolong the life of the pipes, but I honestly cannot stand the taste of softened water. Before buying into any system that softens, I'd ask for a test so you can taste it and see if you can stand it.

TinyFrog 01-29-2007 08:37 PM

My IL's water had a sulfer smell that was getting down-right horrible. The pump went out a few years ago and they replaced the pump, and the piping while they were at it. The new pump ended up sitting about eight feet higher than it originally sat. It hasn't smelled since.

For awhile, they were putting their water into a large ceramic jar, then getting water from there. Somehow that seemed to filter it I guess because it didn't smell when it came out of that.

AngieB 01-29-2007 08:59 PM

This sounds like my well water. Does it turn your tub and toilets and white clothes orange? We had the same water at my parents house and now at my own home. It tastes bad but I drank it my whole childhood and it didn't seem to have any bad results. I now have bottled water to drink just because I hate the taste. I know nothing about the filter systems but would be interested to find out if they work.

Nu_Mommy_2003 01-31-2007 12:09 AM

I think I'll try the culligan system since I get a 90day free trial. Thank ladies! If there's no noticably difference then I'll send it back.

momuveight2B 01-31-2007 12:05 PM

The sulphur is caused by bacteria according to the guy who did our well, it is harmless. He said if it really bothered us we should pour a gallon of chlorine bleach into the system and then turn on all the taps in the house and let them flow. We've never done this and over time we either got used to the smell or it has disappated.
We do have RO on the kitchen sink but only paid about $500

DivinePlan 02-01-2007 09:39 PM

When I was a kid we had well water, it smelled like sulphur because they dug our well too deep. My grandmother lived on one side of our house and my aunt on the other, and neither one of their houses or water smelled like sulphur. We would fill up a 5 gallon or so jug and get water from my aunts house (they didn't live all that close because it was way out in BFE and just imagine lugging that thing down the dirt road in the summer as a kid) but if we absolutely had to have water from our house you can boil it and let the crap settle to the bottom and dip it out. Just a thought.

momto l&a 02-01-2007 10:25 PM

Sulphur smell can come from aerobic bacteria in the well..

Dont use bleach in the well as it will ruin the well casing.

The extra strong H2O2 is a good thing to use every so often.

For aerobic bacteria some type of well aeration will kill the bacteria.

I grew up with a well that had both iron and aerobic bacteria.

Twwly 02-03-2007 06:23 PM

We installed a UV filter, a softener and an RO unit when I got pregnant. (The community well here has been on a boil water advisory for 2 years). Cost a fortune.

I tested all of our water about a month after it was installed (wanted to make sure it was working since I was drinking so many litres a day) and the water from our RO spicket in the kitchen tested positive for Ecoli. It was the only tap in the house that did. Even the water pre UV filter was fine.

What happened? During a power outage (we get lots here, esp in the winter) water went past the UV filter and sat into the RO. Which according to our water people, is "the perfect breeding ground for bacteria". So there it grew. Their solution was to put an additional UV filter on before the RO in the kitchen. We said pass. We removed the existing RO and now just use the UV and softener. It would have been safer for me to drink from our garden hose! I was furious. Lucky for them Canada isn't a very litigious country!

Anyway, when I go through phases where I can't stand the taste of our water, I use a Brita. Removes the taste just great for a fraction of the price.

widdlelou 02-05-2007 11:47 PM

I have a horrible sulfur problem in our well. We had a chlorine kind of filtration system that was in when we moved here and it never worked right, we always seemed to need something else according to the water people we had. We would get burnt sulfur in our hot water heater and in our pipes and then it would turn our water grey and sput out the burnt stuff making hte insides of our toilets gray all the time. It was horrid and our house always smelt bad. So after 3 years we finally got an ozone treatment system and I can't telly ou how much it has made a difference. And the sulfur was eating away at the coils in all of my major appliences like my fridge and my airconditioner.

Malva 02-06-2007 12:30 PM

While you decide what to do, refrigerating your drinking water (with or without a Brita filter) will make the smell go away.

Rufus 02-07-2007 11:54 AM

Our water has this smell too. I rarely even notice it anymore, but anytime company comes over they have to ask me if I know my water has a smell LOL! It's not our pipes or the pump, it's the water. Our house is only 2 years old (the first house had a smell too) and the pump is brand new. We had a house fire so when we rebuilt we had to get a new pump as well. There are a few other families that live in our area and they have the same smell and the rust problems with the water as well. We put an expensive filter system on our old pump, it did no good. Our neighbor spent thousands on a new pump and filter system and even had his well redug, he still has the smell and the rust.
I've just learned to live with it. We drink bottled water and only use our tap water to cook with and bathe and wash clothes etc. I look at it as just another sacrifice we make to live like we do.

Perdita_in_Ontario 02-07-2007 05:02 PM

Hi - we have the same issue with our well water. We've talked to several water experts and here's what we do:

DH shock-chlorinates the well with a bit of bleach every few months (I hadn't heard about it hurting the well casing - will look into that!). This works really well. DD and I leave the house until the bleach has been removed from the well and the house (about 12 hour cycle, although we usually play it safe and go for 24).

The sulfur apparently likes to breed in the hot water tank, so he completely empties that every few months and lets it sit a little while. This kills the bacteria that are causing the stink. Works like a charm.

We do have an RO system just for drinking water, which removes the smell inbetween times. Would LOVE to get a UV system, but they're expensive!

netsites 12-26-2016 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nu_Mommy_2003 (Post 7149307)
This is a x-post:

I'm an old city water user that recently moved to a private well water home. I tested the water and had 3 companies give me a sales pitch on buying their water conditioning system and the reverse osmosis drinking water system to filter out all of the problem in the water. I was told by all 3 that major of the problem is because the house has been sitting for several month and the sulfur odor is the old water in that has been at a stand still.

I don't know what to chose or what's BEST for the family. and help would be really appreciated.

Water test results:

hardness 16

ph 7

iron 1

tds 270

odor: less than 0.2

AIS 5-6ppm

companies recommended:

Kinetico 2030s and an upflow filter for sulfur

Total $4000+-

Culligan Medalist series with a sediment filter before the softner

Total $3000+-

Ecowater w/ RO Total $2100+-

Small Undercounter Systems are available.

drnina 02-03-2017 11:30 AM

We've put in small amounts of hydrogen peroxide into our water and it has dramatically reduced the smell: https://www.stevejenkins.com/blog/20...in-your-water/

We buy it at 35% from www.peroxyzen.com