The Mood Cure by Julia Ross - Mothering Forums

#1 of 9 Old 01-29-2010, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Has anyone had any success treating their depression with the info from this book? I started on 5 HTP, L-tyrosine and GABA on Monday. I felt better immediately that first day, but I feel just as low now as I did before. I have increased my dosages since yesterday and am getting discouraged since the results are supposed to be quick. I was really hoping this would do it for me. Do I just need to give it more time?

Also, I am nursing DD and DS (ages 1 and 3). All the info on these and bf is questionable. I'm thinking we're okay since they only nurse 2 times a day, maybe 3. I am unsure about increasing the dose even more because of the lack of info on these supplements and bf.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 01-30-2010, 09:11 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I haven't read the book but I have had some improvement with L-tyrosine (1500mg/day) and 5-HTP (150mg/day). It took about a week or two to help. By itself, though, I haven't had as much improvement as the addition of exercise.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 birth doula since 2006
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#3 of 9 Old 02-01-2010, 05:25 PM

I started out taking GABA and 5-HTP (in Nov, I think), I think it's really helped me, along with as many of the supplements that I can afford. IN fact I find I don't need the GABA anymore, and am just taking 5-HTP. The true test is always PMS time, so give me a week or two and we shall see. But yes, I have to say that especially the last few weeks I feel like there's been a shift internally, though I don't know how to explain that.

signature currently in transition

#4 of 9 Old 02-02-2010, 10:03 PM

I own that book, it has been very helpful and I have lent it to many people, who felt the same.
5htp was amazing when I took it. I swear by it (& St. John's Wort). I feel that trying out the "natural" remedies that she suggests are so worth it. It does take time and everyone is different, so hang in there.

~ ~
#5 of 9 Old 02-11-2010, 07:56 PM

I have this book on my bookshelf and have read and used it. I tried 5HTP, GABA, and SAM-e. The only thing that I felt possibly helped me was the 5-HTP, but it wasn't dramatic.

The most helpful alternative treatment I've found for anxiety and depression has been acupuncture! I go to an Chinese medicine school and can get an hour treatment for $22, and they also offer treatment on a sliding scale. It's extremely beneficial, and then you'd certainly have no unwanted medications in your breast milk. I was very skeptical of acupuncture before I tried it, but now I am an acupuncture apostle!

Also, do you have the book "Medications and Mothers Milk"? (I think that's the name.) It goes over the safety of medications and many supplements and herbs as well. You might check that as it's a great reference. Also post on the breastfeeding board for more advice on those supplements with BF.

Good luck! Depression is very hard to handle, but it is possible.
#6 of 9 Old 02-11-2010, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies. I actually got a lot worse over the past couple weeks taking these supplements. I got some horomone testing done from a wholistic wellness place nearby and I'm waiting for the results on that. I'm thinking it's a hormonal issue and the practitioner agreed that since I have used natural progesterone cream in the past I could have an imbalance going on.
#7 of 9 Old 02-17-2010, 08:43 PM

I have this book from the library and there's a little section on p331 about ppd and it says to avoid 5-HTP while nursing.
#8 of 9 Old 03-31-2010, 06:31 PM

I just wanted to give an update--interested to hear from others as well...

I have been taking B complex, D and Selenium for almost 2 months now and I feel a LOT better. Not all the way, but defenitely improved. I didn't try 5-HTP or Tryptophan because I think I may have a thyroid issue and the book says they are often not effective when that is the case. I may try Saint John's wort to see if that takes care of the rest.

To those who posted and are NOT doing better....I had a great discussion with a Naturopathic doctor recently. He pointed out that there are so many things that contribute to your health. Even if you get something fixed (the first thing I fixed was getting daily outdoor light and exercise) there may be something else that is broken. You have to get all the pieces in place to feel your optimum health.
#9 of 9 Old 04-08-2010, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2annabelle View Post
Thanks ladies. I actually got a lot worse over the past couple weeks taking these supplements. I got some horomone testing done from a wholistic wellness place nearby and I'm waiting for the results on that. I'm thinking it's a hormonal issue and the practitioner agreed that since I have used natural progesterone cream in the past I could have an imbalance going on.
I'm sorry you are struggling.

Your experience with progesterone jumped out at me as I read this thread. Progesterone has been linked to depression. I am blessed to be alive right now, as I am one that quickly gets "overdosed" with pretty much everything. But, progesterone is the current, trendy, "cure-all" when it comes to female hormone imbalance! A former natural doc overdosed me on bio-progesterone, and that began my journey to the real truth about hormones-not eh dr. lee version. (I'm biased wh it comes to this issue...)

Please google depression and progesterone and you will find a few-if not many- resources to peruse.

Me-The sad thing about truth, is that it has the ability to repel people.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page