• 2 Post By agentofchaos
  • 1 Post By mariamadly
  • 1 Post By sidrajedi

#1 of 4 Old 05-05-2015, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Eating Disorder support?

I'm trying to find an online support group for women with eating disorders, especially those who are clinically over weight, but who highly restrict intake.

I don't have binge eating or over eating, I simply restrict very badly. I'm ready to get help, but I don't know how to even go about it.

So far, all I've found support wise are groups for women who are NOT overweight, and who actively look down on overweight women with disordered eating, and pro-anorexia sites.

Can anyone help?
applejuice and pumabearclan like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 05-21-2015, 09:11 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by agentofchaos View Post
I'm trying to find an online support group for women with eating disorders, especially those who are clinically over weight, but who highly restrict intake.

I don't have binge eating or over eating, I simply restrict very badly. I'm ready to get help, but I don't know how to even go about it.

So far, all I've found support wise are groups for women who are NOT overweight, and who actively look down on overweight women with disordered eating, and pro-anorexia sites.

Can anyone help?
http://www.smartrecovery.org/ deals with addiction in general. I have a complicated relationship with food and found them when looking for 12-step alternatives. Never participated in their online community but found their background material really helpful. Here's a link to their overview on eating disorders http://www.smartrecovery.org/addicti...disorders.html YMMV, but I hope it helps, or leads to something that does. Best wishes.
applejuice likes this.

Empty-nesting SAHM to DS1 (1989) and DS2 (1992). Caregiver to my mother (1930). Married to DH since 1986.
#3 of 4 Old 05-21-2015, 09:37 PM

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
I found support on calorie count, an about.com subsidiary. They are mostly a calorie counting weight loss/gain site but there are a lot of recovering disordered eaters on their forums and the regulars/old timers are very knowledgeable.

There doesn't seem to be any sites just specifically for those recovering from EDs but there are places like calorie count that have forums and support within their structures for just that purpose.

Personally I don't use calorie count for counting calories, I ignore that part bc it is a trigger for me but I do participate in discussions every so often( I used to more often when I was first starting my recovery journey) and it is therapeutic and helpful.
applejuice likes this.

#4 of 4 Old 05-28-2015, 05:34 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Going low-carb helped me (I wasn't overweight but had cravings and mood problems related to food). I found that a carb-based diet kills the satiation sensation - you can eat carbs forever and never feel full or satisfied. Without sugars and carbs in the diet I don't crave or overeat any more. Lowcarb forums are also very helpful for losing weight, since weight loss is a primary reason that people turn to a low-carb diet. If you try this you will have "induction flu" and you have to suffer through it, don't give up, it gets (much!) better. You will also get a lot of support for that since everyone will have gone through it.

Good for you for taking care of yourself!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page