Iodine - Mothering Forums

#1 of 7 Old 10-27-2007, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am really depressed, have been for a long time. My multi only has about 75mcg of iodine in it and I wouldlike to suppliment 75 more-(somewhere I read you should be at about 150mcg a day)

How do you suppliment iodine? I dont eat alot of fish/seaweed/salt. i eat sea salt-does that have iodine in it? How do you know how much is in salt?

I would love to see if this helps my symptoms at all.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 10-27-2007, 08:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
You can buy iodine tincture (like the kind you put on cuts) and apply this to your skin in a patch about the size of a silver dollar. If the orange color is still there the next day, you are doing okay with the amount of iodine you are getting. If the patch is gone, apply more every day until you finally get a patch that lasts. At least, this is one way to do it!
#3 of 7 Old 10-27-2007, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

wow, thats odd-Its totally safe? And do you know about breastfeeding and preggo? Cause I am. :

#4 of 7 Old 10-27-2007, 08:58 PM

Yes - its safer than taking tablets, because your skin should only absorb about the amount you need.

How's your iron? Pregnancy can really make our iron levels go whacko... and contribute to feeling down/depressed/fatigued.
#5 of 7 Old 10-27-2007, 09:03 PM

i'm not pg, but i'm nursing, and i take prolamine iodine supplements made by standard process...i take well over the amount you're talking about taking. i read somewhere that pg/nursing moms need extra iodine. i don't think taking a supplement would hurt you, but i could be wrong about that.

dissertating wife of Boo, mama of one "mookie" lovin' 2 year old girl! intactlact:: CTA until 7/10 FF 1501dc
#6 of 7 Old 10-27-2007, 09:09 PM

My dear, I mean this in the gentlest way. I am familiar with your situation through what you have posted as you are a very avid poster!

Today, for example, you have posted approximately every 8 to 11 minutes for 8 hours straight, with a 30-minute break around noon. I think this is also a pretty typical day for you.

I think your depression must be pretty profound right now. It looks to me like you are grasping at anything that might make you feel better, at the risk of being disconnected from your kids, your life, your home... trying to find a loving, supportive community in an online forum practically every waking second you have. Maybe in part this online community also serves as an engaging distraction from a life that is not very satisfying for you right now. I've read so many of your posts I feel that you are extremely intelligent and perceptive... its hard at times to meet those intellectual needs in real life, especially with children. But an online forum is a poor substitute for real, engaging interaction with another person.

You only have 2 months or so and then everything is going to change again... but I encourage you to get out and experience life, "real" life, as much as you can, and try hard to identify some friends that are of equal intelligence as you - maybe some moms so your kids can play while you talk - I know its hard, but truly, you are spinning your wheels here trying to get those kinds of needs met online.
#7 of 7 Old 10-28-2007, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your post, I just wanted to make it clear that I completley realize how much computer time I am spending, and I am not in denial about that at all. At this point, going outside in the backyard is more work than its worth. Everytime I try to "get out of the house" I regret it. My body hurts, I am hot, whatever. It talkes me all day sometimes, just to feel enough energy to get the kids dressed, and get myself dressed, etc. I am not sure why people think that getting out of the house is a cure for depression. ??? I have somehow managed to keep eating and feeding my kids which is about all I can do at the moment.

I have made tons of friends but with every single one of those relationships, I am sole contact. They do not call me, If I dont call them, I just dont talk to them! And with depression, it is very challenging to be in charge of everything. I can't clean my house, do my dishes, feed my family, even get dressed everyday, etc. AND at the same time, try and keep relationships going with people who are too busy to put in an effort. So I quit trying. They arent interested, and its ok with me!

We are trying to go to the park daily, although last time I went I hurt my belly dealing with a toddler tantrum and I could hardly make it to the car! It makes me not want to go! But I am still trying for the sake of my kids to go everyday. (If its not too hot out. hormones.)

Thanks for the advice, but I dont know if you understand that its not particularly helpful to get out there all the time, not for someone with depression. I may have sheltered myself, but its because I cant keep my kids safe in public anymore. When we go to a store, the toddler is running one way and the 4 yr old goes the other way, I promised I wouldnt do that anymore when one of them almost got hit by a car. I cant move fast enough at 7 m pregnant to take them anyplace safely. (The park is a strech because its not far from the road.)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page