constipated DD? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 11 Old 01-30-2009, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
nak

Nattles hasn't pooped since Wednesday night. when should I start worrying? I think it's due to the couple spoonfuls of baby oatmeal. not going to be offering grains anymore, think I'll stick to org. fruits/veggies.

thanks in advance!

forever following the lead of a colorful active little monkey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 01-30-2009, 11:57 AM

Anne was constipated from formula for a while. My dr. said a little apple juice is fine. Since we started fruits and veggies (no grains yet), she's been very regular so I think that really helps.

10/16/09 8/20/08
#3 of 11 Old 01-30-2009, 12:11 PM

Just nurse nurse nurse, it hasn't been that long.

#4 of 11 Old 01-30-2009, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

Okay thanks I've been massaging her little tummy ...

She is not wanting to nurse for too long, I can tell her belly is bothering her, she gets really uncomfy and upset after just a few minutes.

#5 of 11 Old 01-30-2009, 01:25 PM

We had a similar thing happen earlier this week after grandma spoon-fed a little banana and rice cereal one afternoon when I got stuck in the snow and couldn't get home to nurse. Bicycling the legs, lots of tummy and lower back massage, warm bath, lots of nursing, and things turned around within a day or two. We got very little sleep, though! Because of her discomfort level, if it had continued, I probably would have tried a little flaxseed oil.

Mama to DD : 09/08
#6 of 11 Old 01-30-2009, 03:22 PM

Our Pediatrician recommended we stop the bananas, decrease the rice cereal and cooked carrots, increase the oatmeal, prunes and pears. They also suggested diluted prune or apple juice. If need be you can mix the juice with milk in a bottle. My DS has constipation issues often and this advice seems to help us out.

Rachel - Married to my Best friend & Mama to Quinn Patrick 7/18/08 - Mama to : Clover too
#7 of 11 Old 01-30-2009, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My DD gets the same way and she isn't even on solids yet. I find that a little gripe water (look for an organic kind without any artificial sweeteners) helps a ton! She used to get really cranky and upset when she didn't poop regularly, but now whenever she goes a day without a poop, a single dose does the trick!
#8 of 11 Old 01-30-2009, 03:47 PM

dd got comp;etely blocked on rice cereal.

I gave her oatmeal, pears and prunes and peaches and it actually made her poop like crazy so I had to hold off too much "P" fruit!!!

And like a pp said, it hasn't been that long since she pooped so I wouldn't worry!

Mom to Ds1 (8 1/2) Ds2 (6) Dd (2 1/2)!!!!
#9 of 11 Old 01-30-2009, 03:47 PM

the AAP and WHO both recommend waiting until 6 months to give baby any foods. I'm just stating the facts. your LO is only 5 1/2 mo. old.

look into baby led feeding and the developmental signs of readiness for solids on kellymom.com. they do not happen until after 6 mo. our ds is 9 mo. and still ebf.
#10 of 11 Old 01-30-2009, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leosmommy View Post
the AAP and WHO both recommend waiting until 6 months to give baby any foods. I'm just stating the facts. your LO is only 5 1/2 mo. old.

look into baby led feeding and the developmental signs of readiness for solids on kellymom.com. they do not happen until after 6 mo. our ds is 9 mo. and still ebf.
I get where you are going with this but the AAP statement on breast feeding says (bolding mine)-

Pediatricians and parents should be aware that exclusive breastfeeding is sufficient to support optimal growth and development for approximately the first 6 months of life and provides continuing protection against diarrhea and respiratory tract infection. Breastfeeding should be continued for at least the first year of life and beyond for as long as mutually desired by mother and child.185
Complementary foods rich in iron should be introduced gradually beginning around 6 months of age.186–187 Preterm and low birth weight infants and infants with hematologic disorders or infants who had inadequate iron stores at birth generally require iron supplementation before 6 months of age. Iron may be administered while continuing exclusive breastfeeding.

Unique needs or feeding behaviors of individual infants may indicate a need for introduction of complementary foods as early as 4 months of age, whereas other infants may not be ready to accept other foods until approximately 8 months of age.

http://aappolicy.aappublications.org...rics;115/2/496
#11 of 11 Old 01-30-2009, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice everyone. DD pooped fantastically a little while ago, after lots of nursing and tummy massage.

LeosMom, I'm well aware and have researched the topic at hand, and I really wasn't asking for advice on it-- more on constipation. Not to be rude. I had planned on waiting until six months- but it's a difference of two weeks she's shown signs of readiness- and I've only introduced a spoonful or two a couple times. I do plan to mostly wait, giving her chunks of food to try out as she grows, but I don't think it was harmful to start a couple weeks early with a spoonful here and there of baby oatmeal. It was a fun experience for us (mainly her) and it helped me to realize where she was at on the solids continuum- she's really not all that interested.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page