Breast feeding, introducing solids and constipation - Mothering Forums

#1 of 8 Old 01-31-2009, 10:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dd is 7 months and just starting solids. She's had about 1T of pear each day for four days. For about two days now, she's had reduced BMs which are very thick, sticky and not much comes out. She also seems REALLY fussy, but is teething, so it could be that.

What to do about the constipation? Should I try a different food? Back off the solids and wait? Give her something in addition? I'm tempted to just wait and go back to EBF... any ideas? I don't want her to be uncomfortable and I'm fine with waiting on the solids.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 01-31-2009, 10:58 PM

nak

not sure here but posted something similar ... had been giving about 1t of oatmeal a week for a week or so & she didnt poop for a day and a half .. decided to back off for a bit & then stick to fruits/veggies

forever following the lead of a colorful active little monkey
#3 of 8 Old 01-31-2009, 11:34 PM

babies do not need to be spoonfed purees. does your LO exhibit the developmental signs of readiness for solids to be introduced? the AAP and WHO both recommend waiting until at least 6 months to introduce solid foods of any kind. the following quote lists the signs of readiness:

Quote:
Solids readiness depends on both the maturity of baby’s digestive tract and baby’s developmental readiness for solids. Although the maturity of baby’s digestive system is not something that we can readily observe, research indicates that 6 months appears to be ideal for avoiding the allergies and other health risks of too-early solids. After this point, different babies are ready for solids at different times -- developmental readiness for solids cannot be determined using a calendar. Most babies are developmentally ready for solids somewhere between 6 and 8 months.

Signs that indicate baby is developmentally ready for solids include:
Baby can sit up well without support.
Baby has lost the tongue-thrust reflex and does not automatically push solids out of his mouth with his tongue.
Baby is ready and willing to chew.
Baby is developing a “pincer” grasp, where he picks up food or other objects between thumb and forefinger. Using the fingers and scraping the food into the palm of the hand (palmar grasp) does not substitute for pincer grasp development.
Baby is eager to participate in mealtime and may try to grab food and put it in his mouth.
We often state that a sign of solids readiness is when baby exhibits a long-term increased demand to nurse (sometime around 6 months or later) that is unrelated to illness, teething pain, a change in routine or a growth spurt. However, it can be hard to judge whether baby’s increased nursing is related to readiness for solids. Many (if not most) 6-month-old babies are teething, growth spurting and experiencing many developmental changes that can lead to increased nursing – sometimes all at once! Make sure you look at all the signs of solids readiness as a whole, because increased nursing alone is not likely to be an accurate guide to baby’s readiness.
from kellymom.com

I would back off the solids for a little while until your LO is able to exhibit ALL of the signs listed above, not one, not some, but ALL. I'm sure the GI troubles will subside if you feed baby what she is designed to have at this time, and only that...breastmilk.

HTH!

#4 of 8 Old 02-01-2009, 12:35 AM

The way you describe the poo doesn't even really sound constipated to me. Both my kids have been infrequent poopers. DS1 would go every 5 days, then have 3 dirty diapers in a row. DS2 is going every 3 days. The output is firm and sticky, but not hard. (sorry if TMI!)

I would expect a constipated baby to have really hard bms, maybe like little nuggets, not just sticky or thick. My ped always asks if the poop smooshes in the diaper when he's sat down on it.

If your lo is ready for solids, you might mix up the menu some more. Honestly, I don't think of pears as a food that causes constipation, but what do I know? Go ahead and try some different foods. Alternatively, you can take a step back, and just bf for a while more--it certainly can't hurt!. How's that for a non-answer?!

Dawn - Mom to : Jack 11/04 and David 5/08
#5 of 8 Old 02-01-2009, 01:00 AM

I would probably cut solids for a couple of days and see what happens. It could be teething or a number of other things. With my kids there were changes in bms before they even started solids to thicker, pb like bms. I would not think thicker bms are necessarily constipation, especially if she is still regular.

And where did the OP say she was feeding purees? She said the baby is getting about 1T of food but she doesn't say how. Her baby may have all the signs of readiness.
#6 of 8 Old 02-02-2009, 12:56 PM

Pears are a food my pediatrician recommended for constipation so I wouldn't think it was that causing it. It may just be your dd's system adjusting to foods. It doesn't sound like dd has totally constipation and the change in the 'texture' of the bowel movements could just be from having food mixed in with the milk.

Rachel - Married to my Best friend & Mama to Quinn Patrick 7/18/08 - Mama to : Clover too
#7 of 8 Old 02-02-2009, 02:46 PM

My DD actually DID get constipated by pears. (Definate constipation - pain and rabbit pellet poops that were hard to get out). Pears were the only food she had any interest in, but she would normally eat 2 babyspoons worth or less. They are a food that rarely constipates naturally. But if a baby's system isn't ready for it, then ANY food can cause problems. My daughter was about the same age as yours. We stopped solids and the problem resolved.

*Even with the readiness signs, that doesn't tell you anything about internally ready.
#8 of 8 Old 02-02-2009, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine4004 View Post
Pears are a food my pediatrician recommended for constipation so I wouldn't think it was that causing it. It may just be your dd's system adjusting to foods. It doesn't sound like dd has totally constipation and the change in the 'texture' of the bowel movements could just be from having food mixed in with the milk.
I agree! my dd loves her pears, and they are recommended for constipation. Her body just needs time to get used to food!

Mom to Ds1 (8 1/2) Ds2 (6) Dd (2 1/2)!!!!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page