elevated lead in 1 year old - Mothering Forums

#1 of 5 Old 08-14-2009, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I just learned that my 1 year old has a lead count of 4...not sure exactly what this means...dr. said they try to keep it below 10, but doing some research online I've seen that some are concerned about levels even less than 10. We are leaving th house today so that my husband can try to find and any chipping paint we missed and paint over them...what I am wondering is what I can do for her--any vitamins etc. that can help her body?
Thanks you.

Aimee, mom to Mirah b. 08/09/08
and my angel, Nico,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, lost to us at 19 weeks gestation, 12/27/12
Longing for our rainbow
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pregnant again after IVF, EDD July 6, 2015!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 08-18-2009, 12:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't know what you can do for her nutritionally, but when I lived in an older apt, when I signed the lease it came with info from the EPA on living in place that likely had lead paint. One of the main sources appeared to be dust! They suggested dusting frequently with a damp cloth, especially window sills (they were the old kind of uninsulated windows), washing floors & other surfaces. Here is link to the epa document:

http://www.epa.gov/lead/pubs/leadpdfe.pdf
#3 of 5 Old 08-18-2009, 12:55 PM

4 is not bad. Yes, there is no healthy amount of lead. But if you live in an older house that's pretty good.

Anyway, nutritionally you generally supplement with Iron (we did Floradix) and iron rich foods and VitaminC (to help absorb the iron.) But did they check the iron level? I would find out if it is low or not before starting supplementation. Also, iron stuffs should be eaten separately from calcium & eggs.

#4 of 5 Old 08-18-2009, 07:42 PM

there is a thread in health and healing for mamas dealing with elevated blood levels. you can search for it. there is lots of good information in there. but pp is right, 4 is not real bad, relatively speaking. my dd was 17 at one point, but went down to 7 at her last test.

ariana, mama to beautiful redheaded girls (oct 07) and (nov 10)

#5 of 5 Old 08-18-2009, 09:49 PM

DD's lead level came back at a 5 at 11 months and then i had a blood draw at 18 months and it was a 3. I inquired about doing additional testing at age 2 and my ped insisted that it was totally insignificant, that he rarely sees a 0 or 1, and that below a 5, I probably would find nothing in our home. Nonetheless, I supplement w/ Vit C and use a Nilfisk vacuum which is rated for lead cleanup. I also threw away *any* old toys that may have lead paint, most all of the plastic toys, and stick with trusted toy companies.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page