I thought breastfed babies didn't get constipated... - Mothering Forums

#1 of 9 Old 03-25-2004, 12:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 2 week old hasn't pooed in 3 days...
he is exclusively bf and was pooing just fine.
He has been quite gassy, so I eliminated dairy & caffeine from my diet..
I thought bf babies didn't get constipated.
Any thoughts or advice????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 03-25-2004, 01:36 AM

He's probably just saving it up for when you leave the house with no extra outfit...

All of my boys were poop-hoarders. None ever had a second of constipation, either. Breastmilk is more digestible than most food and doesn't make a whole lot of waste.

Amanda
#3 of 9 Old 03-25-2004, 01:41 AM

Your baby's not constipated. It's a growth spurt. Breastmilk is so easy on their system they can hold it in for days, sometimes a week (or even two!) and it does no harm. Your baby will probably start doing this a lot now. It comes in cycles. But watch out when they finally let it out! They do like to wait until you're out in public with no change of outfit. :LOL

#4 of 9 Old 03-25-2004, 01:59 AM

true constipation is usually hard balls. Many BF babes go days and days starting at about 4 months old - but two weeks? I would say every 3 days might fine as long as his weight gain is ok. But many babes poop every feeding at that age and slow down later on.

The day of the big event might be a little gassy...massage, leg bicycling, etc. might help, sometimes I used fennel tea for gassiness. When they do go it's often thicker and darker and smellier than you're used to - but constipation is more like rabbit pellets. Peds sometime suggest interventions, but that's becuase formula fed babes so often get constipated. it's possible, but quite rare in BF babe. Frequency is not what you should use to judge whether or not a babe is constipated. (despite what some of those strange colon cleansing people say about daily bowel movements...infant of this age very often do not and are in perfect bowel health - interventions disrupt how efficiently their intestines are processing BM...with little waste.
#5 of 9 Old 03-25-2004, 02:20 AM

While two weeks is young for the growth spurts, I've heard of them this early. Mine all started this when they were only a few weeks old and I know a lot of other babies who did the same. As long as the baby is on pure breastmilk it's fine.

*ETA: Do make sure you're getting enough fluids though.
#6 of 9 Old 03-25-2004, 04:32 AM

It's normal for a bf-ed babe to go 10 gays between BMs. Constipation isn't characterized by length of time between BMs or how much effort it takes to get them out, but rather by the consistency of the BM itself.

BM meaning bowel movement and not breast milk.
#7 of 9 Old 03-25-2004, 06:25 AM

It could be something to do with your nursing style - I read this on another website posted by a LLL member, here is an article on the LLL site that explains it a bit better.

http://www.lalecheleague.org/llleade...Jan98p123.html

Your baby may not be getting enough of your hind milk - are you feeding long enough off one breast before offering the other? They need the fatty milk to produce sufficient BMs, whereas the foremilk provides the quencher and therefore the wet nappies.

HTH

It's a Delight-Filled Life.
 computergeek2.gif 

#8 of 9 Old 03-25-2004, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

I had read that about the hindmilk as well... so I have been encouraging longer nursing sessions. But I doubt that is the issue as he isa voracious nurser!!

Perhaps it is a growth spurt... he was born 11+ lbs and is a big baby, just about fitting into 3 month clothes now and definately has grown a good bit in just the past week!

I did give him a glycerin baby suppository last night and he did poo... not a major amount, but a good dipaer full. Definately not hard or pellets, just regular yellow bf poo, but a bit thicker. Sorry if thats more info than you wanted...

It just seems odd since my first was one of those who went at just about every feeding in the early days.

So, I will try to stop worrying. thanks for the feedback!
#9 of 9 Old 03-25-2004, 02:56 PM

I'd really be careful with the suppositories. The baby could become dependent on them.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page