Should I be worried...what should I do? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 5 Old 01-20-2011, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My DD who's 1 year old will start daycare at the beginning of february. Now my concern is with eating solids....she does eat but is very picky and for the past 2-3 weeks she will only eat yogurt, cottage cheese, banana, yams and fruit compote...and still nurses a ton day and night.... Now my concern that she won't get enough food, since she won't eat much in daycare and I won't be there for her to nurse, and she won't take a bottle or my milk in a sippy....I tried giving her whole milk in her sippy but she doesn't drink much.

So what do you think?

Memz, with mylove.gif and mommy  of babygirl.gif born 01/17/10 and 3 cat.gif familybed1.gifsaynovax.giffly-by-nursing1.gif

***4** *8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36**stork-boy.gif40

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 01-21-2011, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter

No one?!

This hasn't happenned to anyone else?

Memz, with mylove.gif and mommy  of babygirl.gif born 01/17/10 and 3 cat.gif familybed1.gifsaynovax.giffly-by-nursing1.gif

***4** *8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36**stork-boy.gif40

#3 of 5 Old 01-21-2011, 09:06 AM

She'll probably have an adjustment period, but seeing other kids eating might help her try new things, and other kids drinking out of cups might convince her to do it as well.  You might see that she increases her nursing in the evenings and at night for a bit, but she'll probably balance out after a few weeks.

Mosaic likes this.

K, H, and baby E (who is now three!!!)

#4 of 5 Old 01-21-2011, 09:44 AM

my 2 kids were like that, ate some solids, but not large amounts and nursed at a lot and went to daycare at 12 months and 10 months. They didn't drink out of bottles or sippy cups but would drink a bit out of a regular cup, but mostly just split it and played with it. I would nurse right before I left the dayhome, and as soon as I walked in the door to pick them up, then I would get the baby dressed and go home,

they more than made up for the lack of food by nursing a lot all night!. I don't really remember with the first, but with the second he went for about 3 weeks with hardly eating anything, then he started eating more,  It also helps when they see the other kids eat, they want to copy them. he still didn't drink very much for quite a long time. In fact the dayhome provider was very worried about dehydration. The dayhome supervisor from the agency she belonged to would come to visit and tell her the baby is dehydrated, you have to try to make him drink.  I would tell her, does he pee? yes? then he is not dehydrated. He more than made up for liquids at home and at night. I am a nurse and know all the signs of dehydrationa nd has absolutly no concerns with this, he didn't even have the earliest sign (decreased urine) and they were freaking out! With my first son the day home provider tryed and tred to get him to drink out of a sippy cup. I told her it wouldn't work but for some reason she was fixated on that. She eventually gave up. Your baby won't starve, and he will start to eat solids more and more, keep breastfeeding when you are home, your milk isn't going to dry up. Your body will learn to make milk for when you are home, and less so when you are away. I was engorged the first week of work, that is it. don't let anyone bully you into thinking your child is starving or dehydrated, they are not. If they were, they would drink and eat! They'll do it when they are ready.

#5 of 5 Old 01-21-2011, 09:54 AM

I wanted to add, when they did drink milk to the dayhome it was whole milk. Honestly pumping is such a pain, esp when they won't drink it anyways, it is just a big waste of time. My kids would never drink breastmilk in a bottle or a cup. Around ths age, at the table at meals whole milk was what was offered.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page