July 2010 DD Club~Jan/Feb Chat - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

#31 of 109 Old 02-25-2011, 10:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:

Originally Posted by expat-mama View Post

I've noticed many June and July mamas talking about losing it over sleep issues lately! WTH is going on?!?!

My LO is going nuts with the night waking too. When we put him down at 7 until we get to bed between 10-11 he's up every 30-45 mins. It's ridiculous. It's maddening. It's robbing me of any shreds of sanity I have left.

Why is this happening?

When will it end?

Will we survive it???                         hammer.gif

I am right there with you!!! I can pretty much handle the nightwakings AFTER I go to bed at this point - for the most part I just sleep right through - but I sooo miss those 2 or 3 hours of uninterrupted me time in the evening.  Last night he went down at 6:50 (took me almost a half an hour which was an extra treat - we had pretty consistently gotten down to 8 minutes of nursing which was awesome) and was up at 7:30.  After I nursed him back down I did a naughty thing: I put the covers next to him on one side, I put a pillow next to him on the other side (where I had been) and then I put a pillow above his head, touching the top of it (where my arm usually is).  He stayed asleep until 9!  He might have gone longer but I had to move him out of DH's bed and into mine - he stayed asleep through the transfer until I put him down on the cold sheets.

Anybody else???

PS - My baby boy's very first tooth is just starting to poke out of his gums!!!  Feels like he's been teething on and off for months now!

Mumma to DS July 2010 and expecting another baby boy late July 2012 belly.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 109 Old 02-25-2011, 11:04 AM

We haven't had a single good night of sleep since birth soooooo I haven't noticed any difference yet.  caffix.gif But hey, Fritzi started arm crawling today!

hide.gif Me 41, single mom to modifiedartist.gifdd 4/2001 and demon.gif ds 7/17/2010

#33 of 109 Old 02-25-2011, 04:24 PM

I too am having sleep issues!  Stella is a good sleeper during the day, but at night..ayeyaeyae!!!  Terrible.  Last night the "calling" started at 2:45.  She stands in her crib and basically "yells" for  me.  She's not crying, she doesn't want to eat...she just wants me!  I am a terrible co-sleeper so I am not sure how to best deal with this!  It is sort of cute, but not so much at 2:45.  It went on, off and on, until 5:30-my alarm goes off at 6.  That was the worst of it though...she's a good day time napper with two long naps each day.

Stella's into everything! She crawls everywhere and pulls up on everything.  She's learned how to sit down when she's ready to get down so I don't feel like I have to be *right* behind her all the time! 

Stella's gotten really into books so that keeps her occupied for a bit, but otherwise she is just on the go.  She loves eating little baby soups (spinach, beans, rice, etc...and fruits).  She is really fun these days!

Stella.jpg

doggie face.jpg

Mama to Noah and Sophie and Stella 7/4/ 2010

#34 of 109 Old 02-26-2011, 04:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Aww, Stella is a sweetheart! Standing- oh my! And she's got her top teeth too- wow!

Yes... we are in the murky depths of a sleep crisis here. Sinking deeper and deeper every day. We started a NCSS plan last week (was it only last week??) and the last few days have more or less given up on it I think because things just keep getting worse and worse and not any better. Last night the worst night yet, DS went down at 7 (he goes down to sleep really easily after his bedtime routine) and was up every 30 mins like clockwork until about 2 am when he slept for 2.5 hours, then woke up for a feeding and slept another hour then woke up for a feeding and for the day.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH. This Mama is losing her mind.

The only efficient way to soothe him is to nurse, but even then he only goes back down for 30 mins if we're LUCKY. Other times he'll wake as soon as I put him down. DH hasn't had any luck with his efforts the last few days too. DS won't even let me nurse him in bed- he refuses to roll over to his side, really fighting me- thrashing his legs and arms and pushing me away until I pick him up. He does the same thing in arms if I try to hold him and rub his back or sing to him or rock him. It's heartbreaking- it's like he doesn't WANT me to soothe him...except by nursing him- in the chair, for hours, never putting him down.

I'm a person who always thinks there is a solution, a reason, an action to be taken so this is really f-ing with my head right now. I can't figure it out! What to do?!? What will make this better? Doesn't ANYONE have an answer??????? Why is this happening and how can I make it stop? Is this the 8-month sleep regression? If so, when will it end? I can't find any info about an 8-month sleep regression besides mamas on the internet claiming it exists.

DH has decided to just give up any kind of attempts to deal with it and he tries to help but it always just ends up falling to me to deal with it of course...I've got the boobs and he has work in the morning. But I can't just give up like that- I really will go nuts. I'm halfway there.

Anyway...I guess I'm venting. I know I can't and won't do CIO but I kind of envy the people that can and do. They say it works...WAH.

Well, on a more positive note- here is DS at the park. He loved the swing. It's getting HOT here again. 32c today!

P1090416.jpg

Anyone heard from Surfacing lately? Or Welsh?

Me dreads.gif 32, loving him fuzmalesling.gif33, more each day. Rad boy, jog.gif 7/12/10 & Cool gal baby.gif  4/28/13

I'm a biracial, atheist, humanist, pacifist, anarchist, bibliophile, and educator. Rainbow.gifgd.gifwinner.jpgnocirc.gif

#35 of 109 Old 02-26-2011, 04:56 AM

@ Expat - I've been wondering where Surfacing and Welsh have been, too. And you've got 32 °C already???  yikes.gif Send me some rays!coolshine.gif

I'm really sorry to hear that you guys are having such a terrible time with the sleep issues. We're not happy either, but I remember things being this bad with dd, too. Back then I tried and tried and tried to get her down for the evening. She wasn't having any of it. I gave up and resumed my life. I watched tv with my dd playing on the floor by me or eventually nursing to sleep in my arms. When I stopped fighting it, my stress levels dropped enormously. It still didn't get me my kid-free-me-time or time with my partner back. But it did confirm what we all know we should do which is to follow our child's lead. She wasn't tired so there was no use trying to get her to sleep. It helped me defend myself as well when everyone was telling me we were doing everything wrong. My dd eats batteries for breakfast as the Germans would say. She didn't need as much sleep as everyone said. Anyhow, I'm just trying to stay relaxed about Fritz, too, although sometimes I'll notice that he's tired, will get fussy, won't nurse and then I'll put him in his cradle, put on a white noise cd (waves crashing on the floor work well with him) and then wait by his side rocking him a little. If he sleeps, great. If not, he's usually more conducive to nursing and then he WILL fall asleep. I do not invest more than 30 minutes in this method because I'll get resentful that I'm wasting my evening this way. If nothing works then I take him back to the living room and continue watching whatever I had going. Rinse, wash, repeat. But STTN? Nope, not in this household!

hide.gif Me 41, single mom to modifiedartist.gifdd 4/2001 and demon.gif ds 7/17/2010

#36 of 109 Old 03-02-2011, 10:12 PM

I'm sorry that some of you are having sleep issues!  I hope that something changes soon!

Expat- When my DD was a nb I remember hearing so much about how CIO works (because everyone around me does it) and being so tempted to try it.  I know it does work, but at what cost. I hope you get some rest soon and keep your sanity! Hugs to you! hug2.gif

We're doing well.  Full-on stranger anxiety and separation anxiety, which most of the time isn't horrible and I'm just trying to enjoy those extra cuddles!  India is just starting to move around our living room on her own in the last few days.  I just wonder where my little, itty, bitty slow-moving baby went?!?!

If anyone is inerested, here is the link to my DD's birth story.  It's long, but if there's any group of women who enjoy stuff like that, I figure it's us! winky.gif

http://www.uniquelynormalmom.com/2011/02/india-josephines-birth-story.html

First time Mama, in love with my DH and we're in LOVE with our baby girl!!!
mdcblog5.gif
#37 of 109 Old 03-09-2011, 11:10 AM

Hi Mamas! I came here tonight, for the first time in ages, feeling guilty that I'd been MIA for so long

Thanks expat and Terrilien for remembering me! I've thought of our wonderful DDC so often during the past months.

It has been a long, hard winter for me here in Russia. I'm so happy that today the sun is shining, it's a tropical -2c and we've all been outside in the playground together for an hour!

So...I really haven't had time for the internet but I have probably also been avoiding MDC out of guilt and feeling like I don't belong here anymore.

Here's my sorry tale....

Cerys and I had nursing problems from Day 1 (which made me crazy because I nursed DS for 26 months).

She never really seemed to like it, never wanted to nurse for comfort, wasn't gaining weight and was clearly small (both parents being tall and broad). She was/is also mellow so didn't seem starving either. Rarely cried.

After a couple of months of trying to pump, rarely getting more than 1-2 ozs and being stressed about her lack of weight gain. I added 2 ozs of formula to a bottle of bm and she gulped it down. I was devastated but knew I was going to have to supplement.

The stress was affecting DS too and he was really getting pushed aside (or stuck in front of the tv).

During one of the million viruses your kids catch here, we also battled through 2 nursing strikes and 1 total feeding strike. Oy.

Now she gets 75% of her nutrition from a bottle, 20% from solids and 5% from breastmilk. I'm fighting to keep one breastfeed in the morning but she's not bothered at all and will only suck a few times

Many friends and DH have reassured me and been supportive but in my eyes, I have failed.

I was/am so pro-breastfeeding and so judgemental of Mothers who said they 'couldn't' breastfed.

I can't explain how much I hate giving DD a bottle in public.

In every other respect, she's my easy baby. She takes 2 long naps in her crib. Bed at 7pm, stirs at some point and comes in with me but STTN and wakes at 7.

That's a real shock to me too!

Terri/expat - DS was likes your LO's with sleep. Drove me crazy but now I miss it! DS STTN for the first time at 2 yrs and now at 3.5 he's in his bed from 7.30-7.30 but needs me or DH to lie down with him to fall asleep.

I worry sometimes that we won't be as intensly attached to DD because she hasn't demanded it, you know? We have lots of fun with her though, she's really playful :)

Different personalities.

Will catch up with all your posts now and pics of the beautiful munchkins....

Emma - Welsh Wife to DH and Mummy to DS, Lloyd 13/08/07 and Cerys 15/07/10
Living in Russia
#38 of 109 Old 03-09-2011, 03:07 PM

So good to hear from you Welsh!!!! And I'm really sorry to hear how much of a battle breastfeeding turned out to be this time around. I found it harder this time, too. And how is your ds getting on with the new baby now that you've relaxed on the nursing? And it must be nice getting out after a hard winter, too, if you're calling -2°C tropical, lol!

#39 of 109 Old 03-09-2011, 03:13 PM
MJB

Welsh: We are supplementing with formula, too. Edie hasn't gained an ounce since 4 months. She's my third and I have never had to supplement before (my oldest nursed until almost 5 and my second to 2.5). What matters to me, though, is that she gets fed. I feel that she's still getting the benefits from whatever breastmilk she gets (she probably nurses 10-15 times a day). We only give her a bottle when she starts screaming at my boob, some days not at all (when she eats a lot of solids). She eats a Yobaby yogurt with brown rice cereal every morning for breakfast, veggie puffs/fruit/bread/eggs/etc. for snacks, and some of whatever we're having for dinner (last night she had jambalaya for Mardi Gras). I bought one of those drinkable baby food pouches at Target the other day and she wolfed it down in the store. She acts like she is starving to death when we feed her, screaming if we aren't fast enough with the spoon. Self-feeding is more relaxed but she eats fast still so you have to keep her supplied. I'm torn between wanting to keep nursing and wanting to give her more formula to fatten her up. 

Edie is crawling now! She's getting into everything and having a blast. She's really experimenting with her voice with lots of growling and screaming, plus "dada" and "hey". She signs "more" which she also uses to mean food. She still doesn't have any teeth but the bottom two feel like they are right there. She's chewing on an ice cube in one of those mesh feeders right this second (and growling at it). 

Sleep is okay, her nap is awesome-- 3 hours every day-- but nighttime isn't so great. She goes to bed around 9 but often wakes up around 11. Then she (usually) sleeps until 4-5. But after that all bets are off. She seems to be an insomniac like her mommy and sometimes we just stare at each other for an hour around 5. 

#40 of 109 Old 03-12-2011, 10:19 AM

Glad to hear from you Welsh! Sorry to hear about the breastfeeding struggles. At the end of the day it comes down to you trying your best to do whatever you can for your LO. And it sounds like you've put every effort forward and that Cerys is a lucky little girl to have a such a wonderful mama! Please don't consider yourself a failure. hug.gif

EEEEK! -2? I've been away from Canadian winters so long, I've forgotten how that feels... it sounds nightmarish though. It was 38 celsius here today.... sooo hot already! I've been really careful to give DS lots of water and nurse him often because it can get dry too. I'm so afraid of dehydration and over heating here.

We are STILL struggling with sleep. Or lack thereof. DH is really having a rough time- lack of sleep triggers migraines for him and he is just generally a big, sour grump without a lot of sleep. So he's not been doing too well. I get this feeling when I'm really tired sometimes like my brain is being poked by electric prods behind my eyes and turning into liquid... lol.gif... yep. We are tired around here. It's rough. We try to make light of it all- calling our house Guantanamo and giving DS title of master torturer. We joke that after sleep deprivation, we'll be water boarded next. Hmmm... in my sleep-deprived state, I can't decide if that joke is too political for this audience. What the heck. Forgive me, I'm exhausted.

Me dreads.gif 32, loving him fuzmalesling.gif33, more each day. Rad boy, jog.gif 7/12/10 & Cool gal baby.gif  4/28/13

I'm a biracial, atheist, humanist, pacifist, anarchist, bibliophile, and educator. Rainbow.gifgd.gifwinner.jpgnocirc.gif

#41 of 109 Old 03-13-2011, 11:26 AM

I wonder what everyone's babe's eating looks like these days?  Stella is really interested in feeding herself (we haven't specifically done baby-led weaning up to this point) and she seems to want something to eat everytime we sit down at the table.  We try and sit her in her chair with us for meal times and finger foods keep her occupied.  I need some ideas! 

We just came back from 5 days in Patagonia and Buenos Aires.  Stella was AMAZING!  I was so worried before the trip I brought Xanax with me!  She, however, just rolled with everything and did great!  Here she is with her new little friend Penguino!P1060193.JPG

Expat-I hear you on sleep deprivation.  I promised myself I'd get more serious about following the no-cry sleep solution when we returned from our trip, but I'm not even sure where to start :( 

#42 of 109 Old 03-13-2011, 11:52 AM
MJB

Edie eats everything (except honey). She has a Yobaby yogurt, oatmeal, or scrambled eggs w/ spinach for breakfast unless we make something other than cereal for the rest of us (she loved peanut butter banana crepes!) Lunch is usually a veggie w/ butter for fat. Dinner is whatever we're having. Last night she had pizza, but she's eaten all kinds of foods. She's had hot wings and collard greens, Ethiopian atakilt and misir wot, mac n cheese, Indian saag paneer, chips and guacamole, jambalaya, pretty much everything we eat unless it's too sweet. She also snacks on veggie puffs a lot, and I give her frozen fruit chunks in her mesh feeder to teeth on. 

She wants to feed herself now, so we give her a lot of finger foods (she can even eat scrambled eggs and toast by herself) or hand her the spoon. She hands it back and frantically signs "more!" It's a real pleasure eating with her these days although some days we have 3 baths and clothes changes. 

#43 of 109 Old 03-13-2011, 06:11 PM

Thanks

, MJB...that's exactly what I needed to hear and the encouragement I needed to let Stella have at it at mealtime!  She LOVED the pesto pasta we had tonight!

#44 of 109 Old 03-14-2011, 11:31 AM

My son is eating teeny tiny amounts. He likes to gum things like celery, pizza crusts, and bell pepper rings, and likes to fling anything in a spoon at the dog (sometimes, I can actually see the wheels turning in his head: "Gee, I wonder what will happen if I spread this chicken and rice on the chair here"). He wants to self-feed but doesn't want to actually eat. He does like mashed butternut squash and refried beans (probably made with pork fat), though.

Oh well--he's still eating a lot of milk.

ProtoLawyer (the now-actual lawyer, this isn't legal advice,  please don't take legal advice from some anonymous yahoo on the Internet)
Spouse (the political geek) * Stepdaughter (the artist) * and introducing...the Baby (um, he's a baby? He likes shiny things).
#45 of 109 Old 03-14-2011, 01:41 PM

DS has no interest in eating yet, just breast milk.  He gets a disgusted look on his face when he touches food with his hand, or if I have something on my finger and put it near his mouth, or at the mesh feeder.  I've tried quite a few different fruits and veggies.  About the only thing (besides a bottle or a binky or a soft toy) I can get in his mouth is a baby toothbrush for about 2 seconds (he has a top and a bottom tooth).

And we still have several EBF poops every day and often in the middle of the night!

#46 of 109 Old 03-14-2011, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somegirl99 View Post

And we still have several EBF poops every day and often in the middle of the night!

Oh, how I miss those!  Is that strange?  Nostalgic about EBF poop.  :  )  Eating lots of avocado and sweet potato here...I can't believe some of the foods babies are having!  DS has food allergies, so I am always so careful about not giving dairy, etc. before 1 yr old.  What are people's thoughts on that?  I would like to be giving DD more variety, other than fruits and a few veggies, and I have only fed her puree.  I worry about choking, and am not sure how the baby lead weanting works...how do you know if they can handle the whole foods? 

Hope everyone is doing well!

#47 of 109 Old 03-15-2011, 09:07 AM

Well, I'll be darned.

E. grabbed a handful of smoked, pulled pork, in barbecue sauce (that did not contain honey) from my plate last night, and completely went to town. Flavor and texture 1, baby food, 0.

ProtoLawyer (the now-actual lawyer, this isn't legal advice,  please don't take legal advice from some anonymous yahoo on the Internet)
Spouse (the political geek) * Stepdaughter (the artist) * and introducing...the Baby (um, he's a baby? He likes shiny things).
#48 of 109 Old 03-15-2011, 09:20 PM

We tried BLW with DS, but he can't get the hang of gumming foods. He likes gnawing on big things like carrot sticks or apples but he has a fit when little pieces get in the back of his mouth- coughing and gagging. He also gets upset if you give him something soft and then he's busy playing with it that he mashes it into smithereens and then he realizes he has nothing left of it to eat! He LOVES food though and wants it...all of it! So we mash everything up for him and he eats lots of lumpy stuff mixed with water or breastmilk, I've made some "pureed" stuff that's in the freezer and we even have some organic stuff in jars. He is mostly a spoon fed baby for now and he loves it. He is almost getting the hang of feeding himself with the spoon- but again, he gets upset when he is not getting enough into his gullet fast enough! lol.gif So I usually take over.

His favourite food BY FAR is greek yogurt. He cannot get enough of that stuff. I actually cut down on how often I give it to him because I'm worried about the fat- DS has gained .7 kg since we started foods! I'm not concerned that he'll be fat or overweight, just for his health.

He also loves the pears and mango mush that I made for him and the plums and kiwi one too. He is a big fan of winter squash too.

I did make some chunky mashed up lentils and chicken and chicken with carrots and apple, but I was afraid he wasn't digesting it well so we've put a hold on the proteins for now.

DS tries a lot of what we eat too, but he usually has his own food. It'll be nice when he eats what we eat.

He still gets a ton of breastmilk too, especially at night...when he is not sleeping. Ha.

Here's something weird- grass gives DS the willies! He literally shudders when he touches grass. I never noticed because we are usually sitting on a blanket but the other day I put a couple of DS toys on the grass beside the blanket trying to get him to crawl to them and he slithered over and freaked out at the grass. We actually don't have much grass here in the middle east- it's a luxury. But my boy is Canadian- he can't be scared of grass!

#49 of 109 Old 03-20-2011, 04:22 AM

DS ispulling himself up and cruising. AHHHHHHH!!!!

#50 of 109 Old 03-21-2011, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter

DD is moving all around now. Guess it's time to get those Legos off the floor!! Here's big bro and her.IMG00156-20110316-1408.jpg

and here is dd loveeyes.gifIMG00094-20110222-1439.jpg

DS is 4!
DD 8/10/10!
#51 of 109 Old 03-21-2011, 07:46 AM

Mae and Will

christmas 2010 063.JPG

Hi!!!!!!

nak x 2

DH and I are expecting twins July 15. Holy crap wish us luck.
#52 of 109 Old 03-21-2011, 07:47 AM

Love seeing everyone's little ones! Will write when I have free hands. :) xoxo

DH and I are expecting twins July 15. Holy crap wish us luck.
#53 of 109 Old 03-21-2011, 10:55 AM

Spaghetti squash with chicken yesterday.The squash was already cut up into small bits, and the chicken was in strips which he self-fed.

Woohoo!

(The four-day-rule thing is entirely out the window here.)

#54 of 109 Old 03-24-2011, 01:34 PM

I actually had someone tell me to wait 7 DAYS before introducing a new food.......really? introduce 4 foods a month?

Lana: Mama to Mya Oct/2007 and Ainsley July/2010
#55 of 109 Old 03-24-2011, 01:40 PM

Hi everyone!  I love seeing all the pictures! 

Looks like I need to let DD eat a little more than she has been.  I get WIC so I get all the pureed food I could ever, ever use.  It's a little crazy, she loves her yogurt too.  I don't do cereal, it seems to constipate her.  ...and grosses me out for some reason.  The only real finger food (outside of a strainer thingy) has been rice krispies just because that's what we had on hand and she loved them.

I didn't read every post, sort of skimmed but where is everyone on the tooth front?  DD has no teeth at all and no sign of them coming in. 

She is starting to crawl...well, she sits, moves over on all fours, launches forward to her belly, sits up and does it all again, it's pretty funny looking and she gets all over.  She's also started waking frequently at night, maybe a growth spurt?  I think she's just a little high needs.  Always wants to be with only me, still, wants to be cuddled and held all the time...I'm a little exhausted.

Nursing has gotten worse since she turned 6 mos, her latch is painful, I can't seem to get her to stop pulling away when she latches.  Ugg!  We are also working on signing, so far she only watches.

All in all we are still very happy and having tons of fun with her!  It's so nice to see everyone on here.  I don't get on much, I wish this was more like facebook where we could have privacy settings for the pictures!  Anyone want to start a group on fb?  I am more active on there since that's where my family is, but it's so nice to come on here when I get a minute and see everyone dealing with the same stuff I am!

Artist, teacher, wife and mommy to DSS, DD1, DD2 and surprise baby girl on the way, 7/12!

#56 of 109 Old 03-24-2011, 02:38 PM

Hi Artsy! So good to see you again. We're in the same boat, tooth-wise. I started a thread last week - the Toothless Wonder Tribe. Feel free to join in!

#57 of 109 Old 03-25-2011, 01:02 PM

DS finally tried a little bit of food!  What was it?  Purple cabbage of all things, raw and shredded.  He had been having a lot of fun tossing it around and finally decided to stick a bit in his mouth, made a face, then tried a couple more small bits.  Think we may try spaghetti squash next.  I took a picture of him playing with it, will upload it when I get a chance. 

Love Wins likes this.
#58 of 109 Old 03-25-2011, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

We have 2 teeth and are anxiously waiting on the next round. A friend of mine IRL has a 1-yo DD with no teeth yet! 

DS is 4!
DD 8/10/10!
#59 of 109 Old 03-25-2011, 01:45 PM

What's that? A teeny tiny little toothlet popped out yesterday! I think its friend will be following soon (heck, if it hasn't already; I've been gone since 8 and it's now almost 3).

#60 of 109 Old 03-25-2011, 11:13 PM

Hi all! So fun hearing about all these cuties!  And , honestly, we have cute babies! 

My DD has 4 teeth now, wants to try all solid foods (not really eat, so she's pretty much exclusively breastfed), is crawling ALL over the place, pulling up on EVERYTHING, says Mama, Dada and Hi, waves Hi, and is BITING my nipples like crazy.  Ack, painful.

Up until now, I've had a bit of baby fever, thinking, "Oh, I can't wait to have another one!  It'll be so much fun!"  Well, now that DD can move faster than I can, I realize how much WORK she is and the thought of having another baby freaks me out now that she's not an immobile little lump.

Here is India - full of life, spunk, craziness.... I just love her. 

DSC_0680a.jpg

What is everyone else thinking along the lines of another baby?  Is anyone TTC?  Does anyone have their cycles back?

First time Mama, in love with my DH and we're in LOVE with our baby girl!!!
mdcblog5.gif

Tags
Infants , The Baby Care Book Penny Books

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page