newborn and needy dogs - Mothering Forums

#1 of 16 Old 02-20-2013, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So my daughter is 5 weeks old and we have 2 high maintenance dogs, a yorkie and a weimeraner. I knew that it would be a challenge with a newborn and the dogs but im finding it to actually be unbearable. The weimeraner will get into anything and everything, he ate 2 canisters of powder formula and destroyed my suede couch and that was just one day, one incident out of many. And the yorkie will poop and pee out of spite for lack of attention. Its driving me absolutely insane. I of course still let them outside and give them attention when i can but the baby consumes basically all of attention and my husband works 10 hours a day, he still helps out but he's gone all day and its all on me to care for them. Does anyone have any tips of juggling needy dogs and new baby? I love them to death but im spread pretty thin and it would break my heart to re home them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 02-20-2013, 01:15 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have 2 children, a 4 year old, and an almost 8 week old. I also have 3 pitbulls, one is very needy (he is only 3, so still has a lot of puppy in him), the other 2 are not as bad. I have been putting the needy one on the treadmill as much as I can lately to give him somewhere to get his energy out because I just don't have time right now to take him outside and play because the weather is still cold here. I don't know if this is an option for you but its what is working for me right now. Luckily in another month the weather will be better and I will be outside a lot more. If the weather is nice where you are maybe you could wear the baby and take them outside and play fetch for a bit, even 10 minutes would do them (and you) good. Or maybe if you don't have a yard you can wear the baby (or put her in a stroller) and go for a walk? I would put the yorkie in the kitchen on some newspaper or something to see if that helps, at least it would be easier to clean up. I am in the middle of crate training my 7 year old male because he has peed on everything in my house and I just can't take it anymore. I could never rehome my animals, I will be homeless and living in a tent with them before I get rid of them. I also have 4 cats and a horse, and a snake and fish (fish and snake cant live in a tent with me though) so I really love having animals.

dalia likes this.
#3 of 16 Old 02-20-2013, 07:20 PM

I would consider crating the dogs, or maybe even having someone drop them off at doggy day care for you.  I have 3 jerk cats that can't bear life without me (Insert dramatic meowling.), and I've locked them all in a bathroom, food and water equipped room for a day because I just could not stand it any more.  Now that Little Miss is older, I've declared shillelagh law, which means as soon as I sit down every single critter in the house bum rushes my lap, but the baby wins because she finally outweighs all the cats. 

lovestory.gif   And on 09/23/2011, we were three;  husband, daughter, and me!

#4 of 16 Old 02-20-2013, 08:02 PM

I agree with the previous post. Crate training will do you and them a world of good. Dogs like having that safe space. And it'll be a baby free area for them.
And as also stated above, trying to get them more exercise will also help. Do they know basic obedience? If not doing some training with them would we benificial. Simple things like sit, lay, stay would get their minds working and entertain them.
Practice contra freeloading. Get puzzle feeders or hide their food. There are many things you can do to alleviate their abundant nervous energy.

Pogo:
Your place sounds awesome can I come over?
#5 of 16 Old 02-21-2013, 06:04 AM

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)

I agree with the PP.  Doggy daycare, a treadmill, anything to get the energy out.  Depending on where you live, longs walks with baby in a sling will help create a "pack" environment and get them tired out.  We have three dogs and for the first month of our baby's life I spent most days walking with her in a sling and all three dogs on various kinds of leashes.  Most babies love walks too, so it's a great win-win.  Since you're in Portland, you've got rain to deal with, but it's still workable.

If you have any runner friends you could also ask them to borrow the Weimerener.  You could also see if you can hire a dog walker/jogger for one or two days a week so the Weim can get a long run in.  I bet Portland has a ton of people who run dogs for small fees.

ETA: You can also look into "IQ" toys like toys that slowly dispense food, requiring the dogs to work for it.  Other kinds of longer lasting treats like bully sticks can keep them occupied.  Putting peanut butter in a Kong will keep some dogs occupied for hours.  Kyjen and other companies make some great interactive toys: http://www.chewy.com/dog/toys-315/kyjen

Beautiful baby girl born 8/13/2012. Little star baby lost at 10 weeks pregnant, 12/18/2013. Rainbow baby girl born 12/22/2014.
#6 of 16 Old 02-21-2013, 06:19 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)

I'll second (3rd?) the crate idea when unattended. My coonhound is a handfull anyway, was before the newborn too. I have to consider it our fault for giving her the chance to cause trouble if she manages to. She is either outside, roaming the house when watched, or in her crate. I think maybe she was trained to it before because when we bought her it she happily went right in no training needed. Unless she's sick she doesn't have any accidents in the crate. Best if you can get them some serious exercise somehow as well, a tired dog is a good dog.

#7 of 16 Old 02-25-2013, 08:11 PM

Thezoolife: you can come over anytime!
thezoolife likes this.
#8 of 16 Old 02-25-2013, 10:34 PM

Mentioned: 225 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)

In our house, we try to work it that my partner takes our dog to work. I know that doesn't work for most people, but if its an option, its great. 

#9 of 16 Old 02-27-2013, 09:09 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

1.  Doggie daycare, or maybe even just hiring someone to come over and walk them until the baby gets a bit older (and it's easier to manage both). 

2.  Also, I keep our dog in a gated off area (she's too big for a crate) when I can't directly supervise her, so I don't have to worry about what she's doing when I'm preoccupied.

#10 of 16 Old 02-28-2013, 05:14 PM

It depends on your dogs' personalities. In some dogs, doggie daycare it too much stimulation (especially since it tends to be a place where people just drop uncontrollable problem dogs in hopes of tiring them out for the evening)

How were they before your baby was born?

Crating while unsupervised is usually a great solution, also some mental stimulation might be helpful.

#11 of 16 Old 03-02-2013, 11:25 PM

The walking suggestions are great.  Babies and dogs love walks.  Our German shorthair tears things up if he does not get enough exercise.  If you can't do it, hire someone to exercise them or call on those friends and family who ask what you need.  In the long run it is great to raise kids with dogs, even though it can be lots of work.  They get to grow up loving nonhumans as family.

Jamie- We have a coonhound too.  She is a bit clingy and loves her warm bed; she also talks a lot, as many hounds do.  She is 9 and has been best nanny dog in the world for my two daughters- looks for them, loves them, keeps the young dog in line if he is to rowdy near the baby.

Metreehugger.gif College Literature Professor reading.gif(36) and DH (35) married 7/05, together since 1/99; Mom to two lovely and fierce little girls: DD1 2/06 and, after 18 months TTC (and a couple years NTNP), DD2 born 7/3/12!  Dedicated AP parent who is for selective (most) vaccination.

#12 of 16 Old 04-21-2013, 08:33 AM

I have a newborn and a needy weim too ! Ive only been alone with the dog and the baby one day so far, but she definitely knew that I couldnt chase after hee when she stole things and took full advantage! We bought a baby gate before our baby was born, so the dog is pretty much stuck with me in.one room, and that has prevented a lot of.stealing and chasing, and we have a room where we can put things and know theyre safe from the dog. We had to buy an extra tall gate from amazon that I could work with one hand, since the one we had before the dog could either jump over or crawl under depending on how high we put it. Also what helps is.leaving the door open for her to go in and out as she pleases (a doggie door might help too), that way I dont have to.get up and let her out every time she sees a bird, squirrel, groundhog, leaf, etc. now that the weather here is.getting warmer that helps. Also I put the baby on a wrap and walk around the yard with the dog (we have a big yard, and she pulls too much on a leash for me to.feel.comfortable going on.a walk until the baby is older), & just sitting outside with the dog and baby helps too.
Hope this was helpful !
#13 of 16 Old 05-04-2020, 02:12 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
congratulations
what was next?
as for me I have a dog too and I understood that animals are divided into three categories based on their eating habits. They are herbivores, carnivores, and omnivores. A herbivore is an animal that gets its energy from eating plants. Many herbivores have special digestive systems that allow them to digest all types of plants, including herbs. Examples of such animals are elephants, cows, and sheep. A carnivore is an animal that gets food by killing and eating other animals. Carnivores usually eat herbivores, but can eat omnivores and sometimes other carnivores. Animals that eat other animals, such as carnivores and omnivores, are important to any ecosystem because they keep other species from overpopulating. Examples of such animals are leopards, foxes, and tigers. An omnivore is a type of animal that feeds on either other animals or plants. Some omnivores hunt and eat their food as carnivores eat herbivores, and other omnivores eat plants such as fruits and vegetables. Examples of such animals are the bear, dogs, and chicken.
#14 of 16 Old 05-04-2020, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotaEleanor View Post
So my daughter is 5 weeks old and we have 2 high maintenance dogs, a yorkie and a weimeraner. I knew that it would be a challenge with a newborn and the dogs but im finding it to actually be unbearable. The weimeraner will get into anything and everything, he ate 2 canisters of powder formula and destroyed my suede couch and that was just one day, one incident out of many. And the yorkie will poop and pee out of spite for lack of attention. Its driving me absolutely insane. I of course still let them outside and give them attention when i can but the baby consumes basically all of attention and my husband works 10 hours a day, he still helps out but he's gone all day and its all on me to care for them. Does anyone have any tips of juggling needy dogs and new baby? I love them to death but im spread pretty thin and it would break my heart to re home them.

Hey, watch out what your pets eat
It really matters. I also have a dog. I own a labrador and he is a big trouble for me, even though i love him to the moon and back
First I thought that he is capricious and he does such things like scracthing furniture in order to make me pay attention on him
then i realized that this problem is caused by his nutrition
Despite the thing that he is capricious ,he need to be fed correctly
Couple months ago I stumbled upon one site that helped me.
So if you want it may help you as well
If you want to know what pets eat and how to feed them correctly you need to check it as well
I am really thankful that found it
I advise you to check it!
#15 of 16 Old 07-28-2020, 04:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
In our house, we try to work it that my partner takes our dog to work. I know that doesn't work for most people, but if its an option, its great.
snaptube vidmate word to pdf

Last edited by blackiyto; 07-29-2020 at 08:09 AM.
#16 of 16 Old 09-09-2020, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackiyto View Post
snaptube vidmate word to pdf
At first, we also limited the child from the dog, then there was no need.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page