Dressing a six month old - Mothering Forums

#1 of 5 Old 03-12-2015, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Dressing a six month old

You'd think this was my first kid. I feel silly even asking, but what kind of wardrobe do you get for a 6 month old girl? She's been almost exclusively in one piece footies, and she just hit the 6-9 month size. I had a totally baffling experience of going to two different thrift stores and finding not a single one-piece footed outfit. Soooooo.......are those too babyish? Should I be switching to onesies and leggings? Regular pants? JEANS? I feel like pants are so constricting on her fat little belly.

Last edited by newmamalizzy; 03-12-2015 at 05:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 03-13-2015, 12:24 AM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
I do one piece outfits for as long as I can get away with it. At least for the first year.

I mainly kept the footed ones for nighttime once they were older than newborn. After that I did leggings if they needed long legs. I did find a few with long legs and no feet but they looked very pyjama-ish and the legs tended to ride up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#3 of 5 Old 03-13-2015, 08:00 AM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
My kids basically live in the light footed onesies for their first year. I too don't find many in thrift stores, but I can find some decent deals online. I try not to get ones that look too much like pajamas - I prefer the lightweight kind with a zipper on the front, especially if they have tread on the bottom of the feet - or sometimes you can find ones with no feet at all, which is even better when they're mobile. I layer extra shirts on top of that if they need it due to weather. (And if it's warm and sunny, I feel it protects their skin from the sun without being overly warm. But it doesn't get realllly hot here, we're up north.)

If we go out (like to the Y childcare where sometimes I get snide comments about why my babe is in pajamas ) I'll occasionally have them wear two piece outfits, but I don't really like those, as the pants always seem to slide down as they wiggle around, and yeah they press in at the waist - and I really dislike overalls due to how cumbersome some of them are.

#4 of 5 Old 03-13-2015, 08:28 AM

Mentioned: 163 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
We did a lot of onesies and cotton pants (basic kind, like from Carters) or one piece outfits. In the summer, it'd be just a onesie or one of those summer type rompers.
#5 of 5 Old 03-13-2015, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
I can't wait for romper season. I am in love with little baby rompers. I just need something to tide us over for the cooler part of spring. For the month or so we'll use them I really wanted some thrift store scores, but it looks like I'll have to scour the clearance racks instead. I'm glad to hear that i'm not the only one inclined to stick with footie one pieces for a long time. They're just so practical. My older daughter was a March baby, so I was used to just sticking her in a onesie and added pants and sweaters in the fall. Different habits with a winter baby!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page