my life with baby - Mothering Forums

#1 of 9 Old 03-16-2015, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my life with baby

Let me start by saying that I am extremely blessed. I have a loving husband, beautiful 10 month old son, a supportive family, and a job that I really enjoy. However, I have been feeling increasingly overwhelmed with managing our household. My husband and I both work full time, and we both try to do our part in keeping up with chores. I just feel like I can never get ahead. Always dishes to wash, clothes to wash, general picking up around the house, toys everywhere, cleaning to be done, etc. I do know that in a way this never ends and there will always be things to do. But I can't seem to get to a point where I feel on top of everything....I always feel like I'm playing catch-up. And any time im sitting still, I feel guilty for not being up doing something. Do you moms have any advice for me? Tips for keeping up with everything? Thanks all!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 03-17-2015, 09:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I could have written your post! My kids are 3 and 5 and I am STILL feeling this way. I haven't caught up yet. I am coming to the realization that some things just have to give. I can't do it all, but it is a daily struggle to remind myself to let go of some things.
#3 of 9 Old 03-18-2015, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Remember that this is a stage of life and you have a lot on your plate. Just getting perspective helps me a lot. Here is a funny article about your same situation. So glad that your family is supportive, and your DH a great guy. I hope you find what works for you mama! #notautomatic-

Last edited by pokeyac; 06-25-2015 at 03:58 PM. Reason: link removed

#4 of 9 Old 03-18-2015, 01:48 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
It gets easier. Dads feel it too. Finally, my 9 yr old son is to the point that he can help with a few chores and clean up after himself (with minimal bribing). My wife and I found that if you give yourself and your DH a reward for a certain period of time. say 3 weeks or whatever, you will have a constant light at the end of the tunnel. We used fancy takeout sushi pretty often as our reward. We are both huge fans, but it can be expensive. Perhaps, a pedi for you as a reward. One hour away TO yourself and FOR yourself with nobody needing something from you, can be a soul lifting respite for a battle-weary mom. And if your DH is anything like me, he will get immense joy from seeing you take a moment for yourself. Besides, spring is coming. You know you could use a pedi. Just remember that you are in it with, what sounds to be a good guy. Ask for help where you need it. Men don't have the ability to see it on their own. I still step right over the sock on the floor and don't even know it. Ha. Good Luck.
#5 of 9 Old 03-22-2015, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrainMom View Post
I could have written your post! My kids are 3 and 5 and I am STILL feeling this way. I haven't caught up yet. I am coming to the realization that some things just have to give. I can't do it all, but it is a daily struggle to remind myself to let go of some things.
Yes, I am to agree with you as I was having the kids and still feel very different for a baby.
#6 of 9 Old 03-23-2015, 08:58 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
I have to agree that it's just hard and never-ending...but one thing that does help, for me, is to have a schedule so that I don't waste time trying to decide what's most important to do first. I use a 4-day laundry routine and I have some chores that have to be done every weeknight to get my baby's bottles and diaper bag, and my big kid's lunchbox, ready for the next day. Other than those things, I have something I plan to do each evening (like pay bills or clean the bathroom) but I also keep a list of things to get done when I have the chance. Depending on what baby is like that evening (mine is 10 months too) I might not be able to have my hands free or my mind focused for certain tasks, but I could do something else. As long as I get at least one thing done in the evening, I'll give myself credit and go to bed when I'm tired, even though there are other things still undone.

I hardly ever watch TV. I miss it, but I've decided it's just not worthwhile to use my time that way. Skipping TV "saves" me a lot of time and makes my schedule less hectic compared to some of my friends.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
12 years old and a girl EnviroKid
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3 years old!
I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more.
#7 of 9 Old 03-23-2015, 06:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Having a real-live human child to care for can seem a bit daunting if it's your "first time to the rodeo". I remember before I had my daughter that I was pretty much petrified about what to do with a baby and secretly convinced that motherhood was probably going to ruin life as I had known it.
Obviously I was excited and I was already in love with my daughter, although living in a sleep-deprived, poop-encompassed, noise filled stupor life.

Living without an aim is like sailing without a compass
#8 of 9 Old 04-02-2015, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My husband and I shouldn’t be anyone’s role models in this regard, but at least we’re happy and relaxed. Much more than anyone else I know. Sure, there’s a mountain of laundry that should be done, and that pillow fort my daughter and husband made out of the dining table two weeks ago is still up, and something kind of smells in the kitchen. But just as I suggested to my husband that maybe we should do something about it, our DD came up to us and wanted to play Mario Party, and that sounded more fun…

I fixed the smell when she went to bed while my husband threw the most essential clothes in the machine, but that pillow fort isn’t going down anytime soon. We eat from biodegradable paper plates and cups, we pre-prepare meals, and order take-out sometimes when we’re too lazy. Those are the only actual tips I have.

What will you regret when you’re old? That you didn’t do enough dishes or that you didn’t spend enough time with your family? That’s what we tell ourselves every time we spend two hours frantically trying to make our house presentable before guests come over.

Last edited by spklvr; 04-02-2015 at 02:44 PM.
#9 of 9 Old 04-02-2015, 04:42 PM

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
My 2 cents here is that it's important to define "enough." That's hard to do when "enough" and "complete" aren't even close to the same, but I think it's critical so the good stuff like rest and happiness don't get ignored. I have rough daily time limits that I keep in mind for each task - 20 minutes of laundry, 10 minutes on the floors, etc. It helps me to focus on the task at hand without feeling paralyzed, and I know that the most critical issues will be addressed. Even 1 focused minute of kitchen cleaning can make a big difference. When I feel the most crazy, I'll devote 1 minute to every area of need. In 10 minutes, things feel a lot better.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page