newborn constipated?? - not pooping - Mothering Forums

#1 of 7 Old 09-07-2004, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
my newborn ds just came home from the hospital friday. he passed a lot of meconium in the hospital but hasn't passed anything since we've been home. he had a hard time latching on and getting colostrum initially. my milk came in sunday and we had a hard time getting started, i don't think he started getting good feeds until yesterday. i can't tell if he's getting enough.

please help!!

Chaotic 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 mama to 6

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 09-07-2004, 02:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I wouldn't worry about it yet. Is he peeing regularly? If so, keep in mind that sometimes breastfed babies use everything up in breastmilk. Esp. since you just started. you can call your ped to make sure, but that's what I was told - DS didn't go for several days after the first meconium, and everything turned out ok.
#3 of 7 Old 09-07-2004, 02:54 PM

As the PP said, as long as there are frequent wet diapers, and baby doesn't seem distressed, it is probably a case of him using up everything he is eating. All of my kids were "poop storers" They would save it all up for a couple of days and then let loose all at once. If you are worried though, I would call your ped. just to put your mind at ease. and congratulations on the birth of your new little bug

#4 of 7 Old 09-07-2004, 03:15 PM

My dd2 is 13 days old today... we came home and she didn't poop for 5 days after the meconium passed... i called the ped she said it was ok as long as it wasn't more then 7 days & she was still haven't wet diapers.... if it went more then 7 days though the dr was going to give me supositories to use ! Good luck call the ped if it makes you feel better!
#5 of 7 Old 09-07-2004, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
thanks mamas!

your replies eased my mind, and then he finally pooped tonight. i never thought i would be so happy to see poop!

Chaotic 

mama to 6

#6 of 7 Old 09-07-2004, 10:09 PM

always happends that way... glad all is good
#7 of 7 Old 09-07-2004, 10:24 PM

Isn't it funny what a new mom will get happy over. My ds was having green poops and I was trying to find the source and fix it. Finally I did, and the first time he had a nice yellow breastfed baby poop I was soooo happy! My eight year old says "wow it doesn't take much to make you happy does it?" I thought that was too cute.

Keep watching those diapers though. You'll want to see his frequency pick up some now that your milk is in. GOOD LUCK!!!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page